The Student Room Group

A level physics

Any year 12s taking a level physics who can help me? I have no friends in my physics class and I really need some support.
I'm currently doing International AS-Level Physics, I'm preparing for my mechanics and materials module exam next month :smile:
Reply 2
That’s great! I did mechanics last month, and I’m doing electricity now. If you need any help with mechanics, I’ll help
Original post by blue2003
That’s great! I did mechanics last month, and I’m doing electricity now. If you need any help with mechanics, I’ll help

Mechanics isn't too bad so far, I actually really enjoy Kinematics! Likewise, if you need help with materials or other topics, then let me know.

I'll be starting electricity and waves topics after January - so you might be done by then.
Any year 12s taking a level physics who can help me? I have no friends in my physics class and I really need some support.

We've completed Particles and Radiation and a bit of Mechanics and Electricity. I'm not great at Mechanics but I could probably help with Particles (when you get to it)
Reply 5
Original post by laura ferrao
We've completed Particles and Radiation and a bit of Mechanics and Electricity. I'm not great at Mechanics but I could probably help with Particles (when you get to it)

Do you have any tips for electricity? I feel like I know all the concepts from the text book absolutely fine, but when it comes to exam questions I just cant do anything
I think the key is just practice practice practice, especially the maths questions. If you can't do the A level questions then try some GCSE questions first. My Physics teacher made us do some for consolidation and it did help a little bit. There are plenty of practice questions on Physics and Maths tutor so those will be good place to start, but also try some questions from other exam boards as that will really help with interpreting and understanding the questions. Another thing I do (I did it a lot for Mechanics) was I would try to work back from the answer given. The AQA textbook I was following never showed you how to get to the solutions so it was up to you to figure out how they got to that answer. I would spend about 1h just staring at the question and jotting down possible ways before I finally figured out how to do it. It's a great method, especially for the mathematical questions as it improves your understanding and I found the recent cumulative I did much easier. Those are the 2 main things I can think of off the top of my head- they aren't electricity specific but I found them very beneficial. If I think of more I'll let you know.Do you need any textbooks because I've got some great ones to recommend for AQA exam board?
If you're doing ANY exam board - get the 'Advanced Physics for You' book. It has saved my life.
Reply 8
Original post by laura ferrao
I think the key is just practice practice practice, especially the maths questions. If you can't do the A level questions then try some GCSE questions first. My Physics teacher made us do some for consolidation and it did help a little bit. There are plenty of practice questions on Physics and Maths tutor so those will be good place to start, but also try some questions from other exam boards as that will really help with interpreting and understanding the questions. Another thing I do (I did it a lot for Mechanics) was I would try to work back from the answer given. The AQA textbook I was following never showed you how to get to the solutions so it was up to you to figure out how they got to that answer. I would spend about 1h just staring at the question and jotting down possible ways before I finally figured out how to do it. It's a great method, especially for the mathematical questions as it improves your understanding and I found the recent cumulative I did much easier. Those are the 2 main things I can think of off the top of my head- they aren't electricity specific but I found them very beneficial. If I think of more I'll let you know.Do you need any textbooks because I've got some great ones to recommend for AQA exam board?

Thanks for the advice! I actually did loads of exam questions last night. At first it seemed impossible and i had about 3 mental breakdowns lmao, but i kept going at it and by the end of the practise paper, i understood every question, so your advice about practising is so much more valuable than i ever would have realised. I do edexcel, but since aqa is so similar i would love any recommendations for any good resources.
Reply 9
Original post by de-culus
If you're doing ANY exam board - get the 'Advanced Physics for You' book. It has saved my life.

Thanks so much for the recommending that! I gave it a look and it looks really helpful, so i've put it on my christmas list. Fingers crossed it will save my life too.
Thanks so much for the recommending that! I gave it a look and it looks really helpful, so i've put it on my christmas list. Fingers crossed it will save my life too.

no problem <3

Quick Reply

Latest