The Student Room Group

Access to Midwifery courses... any advice?!

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and looking for some advice. I've decided that I would like to make a career change and train as a midwife, and despite having done a LOT of research, there are still some questions that I have struggled find answers to and would be best answered by those who are currently studying :smile:

So, here's the background. I'm about to turn 30 and have previously got a BA Hons in Journalism (I went straight from school so graduated eight years ago). I've been in touch with the University of Brighton who have told me that despite having previous education and good A-levels, they would highly recommend that I do an Access to Midwifery course due to the fact that I have been out of education for a long time and I do not have any A-levels in Science subjects.

I am looking at doing an Access course part time over two years as I have an 18 month old, so my plan is to start the Access course next year and continue in my current job until my son starts school in 2023. Then (hopefully!) I can start university in 2023 as well. This means I need to apply for an online Access course. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which course I should go for? If it helps at all, I would likely be applying to either University of Brighton or Canterbury Christ Church when I begin my degree. I'm worried that universities will consider an online course less 'valuable' than a full time course at a college... although I suppose lots of education is virtual in this strange times anyway.

My other question is around grant and loan eligibility. I understand that I will be eligible for another student loan because Midwifery is a healthcare profession subject. I also understand that the government is currently offering a £5k grant to all new students, plus a £2k grant for childcare support. My question is - will I be eligible to claim both the grant AND another maintenance loan?

Thank you very much for reading!
Reply 1
Hi,

I am in a very similar situation. I have a full time job and a 18 month old! I am currently on Assignment 14/21 on the Access to HE Midwifery Course with Learn Direct. Again, I have previous qualifications, but after being out of fulltime education for 13 years the Unis wanted me to get 'my head back in the books' and I completely understand why. I have found the course really enjoyable and doable alongside working and looking after a crazy toddler! It just takes a bit of time management and unfortunately I do sometimes sacrifice my evenings and early mornings to do the work.

I don't have any recommendations for courses as I just picked the Access to Midwifery as it is the only thing I would leave my current career for. The Unis seem to accept it as I have had 3 offers out of 4 I have applied for so far (just had the last interview yesterday)! The access to midwifery course is good as it has a nice balance of science based topics and midwifery related ones - which will help answer some of the Uni Interview questions too (What is the role of the midwife etc).

From the research I have done so far, the 5K learning grant, alongside the additional 2K childcare grant, can be applied for in addition to the maintenance loan.

I hope this helps - I am sure that there will be others with more in depth info too :smile:.
Reply 2
Original post by RLynne89
Hi,

I am in a very similar situation. I have a full time job and a 18 month old! I am currently on Assignment 14/21 on the Access to HE Midwifery Course with Learn Direct. Again, I have previous qualifications, but after being out of fulltime education for 13 years the Unis wanted me to get 'my head back in the books' and I completely understand why. I have found the course really enjoyable and doable alongside working and looking after a crazy toddler! It just takes a bit of time management and unfortunately I do sometimes sacrifice my evenings and early mornings to do the work.

I don't have any recommendations for courses as I just picked the Access to Midwifery as it is the only thing I would leave my current career for. The Unis seem to accept it as I have had 3 offers out of 4 I have applied for so far (just had the last interview yesterday)! The access to midwifery course is good as it has a nice balance of science based topics and midwifery related ones - which will help answer some of the Uni Interview questions too (What is the role of the midwife etc).

From the research I have done so far, the 5K learning grant, alongside the additional 2K childcare grant, can be applied for in addition to the maintenance loan.

I hope this helps - I am sure that there will be others with more in depth info too :smile:.

Congratulations on your offers! Which unis have you applied for? It's great to hear that you are managing the course well alongside work and being a mum. Have you done it over two years or have you managed to do it in one?

If we are eligible for both the maintenance loan and the bursary from the Government, that actually changes things quite a lot. £14k a year is a lot more doable than the £7k I thought we were going to have to survive on...! :smile: maybe I'll consider a 2022 start instead as my son will be three so will get the 30 'free' hours of childcare. Lots of moving parts to consider... it's quite daunting and I think my husband is even more scared of the money situation than I am!

Thank you so much for your reply, it's been really helpful!
Reply 3
Original post by lajones
Congratulations on your offers! Which unis have you applied for? It's great to hear that you are managing the course well alongside work and being a mum. Have you done it over two years or have you managed to do it in one?

If we are eligible for both the maintenance loan and the bursary from the Government, that actually changes things quite a lot. £14k a year is a lot more doable than the £7k I thought we were going to have to survive on...! :smile: maybe I'll consider a 2022 start instead as my son will be three so will get the 30 'free' hours of childcare. Lots of moving parts to consider... it's quite daunting and I think my husband is even more scared of the money situation than I am!

Thank you so much for your reply, it's been really helpful!

Not a problem! It is very scary to go from having a wage to going back to full time education! I am very fortunate that my husband is on a good wage and with the maintenance, bursary, and help with childcare it does make it a lot more doable!

I started the course online in Jun.....I am desperate to try complete it in 9 months (crazy I know). They are very flexible if you do it online and you can individualise your learning plan to fit the timeframe you want to do it in. The plan then adjusts and gives you deadlines based on what you want to achieve. I have sometimes found the feedback not great with some assignment drafts, but if you have experience in studying at that level (which you have) it shouldn't be an issue 😀.

I applied for Staffordshire, Birmingham City, Wolverhampton, and Keele as we have a house in the Telford area.

It is absolutely doable with a little one! Even when they are at the age where they can throw one hell of a tantrum and know exactly what they want 😂! Good luck 👍 x
Reply 4
Snap! I'm in virtually the same position. Almost 32, have degree in History from years ago, livewire toddler, work part time. I'm in a position now where we can (just!) afford for me to start studying. I think I'm going to go with Learndirect to do the Midwifery access course, I want to start next week as I have some time off work while my little one is at nursery. My question is will I be able to handle the study?! I'm not too worried about time management because my MIL can have little one on Wednesday afternoons and I would have weekend time, but I haven't studied science since GCSE level. The course programme sounds interesting, I'm hoping that enthusiasm gets me through! Is it 'doable' for a brain which hasn't studied for over a decade?

Also, I don't have any clinical experience. I applied for some voluntary work, but then the dreaded covid happened. The paid work I do now is for a health and wellbeing team working for a charity, I've worked there since 2014. Do you think that would be enough? Have other mature students got places on midwifery courses without having any clinical work experience?

Thanks for reading the ramble!
Reply 5
Original post by aat1989
Snap! I'm in virtually the same position. Almost 32, have degree in History from years ago, livewire toddler, work part time. I'm in a position now where we can (just!) afford for me to start studying. I think I'm going to go with Learndirect to do the Midwifery access course, I want to start next week as I have some time off work while my little one is at nursery. My question is will I be able to handle the study?! I'm not too worried about time management because my MIL can have little one on Wednesday afternoons and I would have weekend time, but I haven't studied science since GCSE level. The course programme sounds interesting, I'm hoping that enthusiasm gets me through! Is it 'doable' for a brain which hasn't studied for over a decade?

Also, I don't have any clinical experience. I applied for some voluntary work, but then the dreaded covid happened. The paid work I do now is for a health and wellbeing team working for a charity, I've worked there since 2014. Do you think that would be enough? Have other mature students got places on midwifery courses without having any clinical work experience?

Thanks for reading the ramble!

Hey,

Sorry you haven't had a reply! I have only just logged on since then!

You will absolutly manage - it is completely doable with a toddler. It may just mean some late nights. The individual learning plan on the course is very good and it will give you deadlines of when you need to achieve things to meet your set deadline. A really useful handrail!

I havent studied properly for about 12 years and I have managed it. There are some really good resources out there, and the course content isn't too indepth. I have received some good feedback from questions I have asked also.

I havent done anything clinical since leaving college, and have now been in the RAF since 2007. I have got 4/4 for offers now, so I really don't think it has any sway on getting a place. Enthusiasm, passion, drive, and an ability to apply your life experience to the questions they ask in interview is what I think they like to see 😊. Please IM me if you need anymore info!
Hi!! I've just read this thread and it's made me feel reassured that I can do this. I am in a similar situation, working, with a two year old and doing the midwifery access course with learn direct . The only difference is I am finding it really hard! I am on unit 9 and I'm worried I won't get enough distinctions to pass. Have you managed to get distinctions in the science units? Any help would be appreciated as I'm also trying to finish before the end of the year ( ideally September)
Thanks
Rhian
This is all really reassuring to read! I did an access to HE course in 2012 with a view to studying midwifery, I applied 3 years in a row through UCAS after completing my access and never gained a place. I was absolutely heartbroken and gave up! I didn’t get great grades on the access at the time due to my relationship circumstances and 3 young children! I’ve since gotten out of the marriage, worked on my mental health and my children are a lot older! I now feel ready to try again! I’m planning on starting with the access to midwifery through learn direct as a refresher due to no recent academic study and the fact my first baby girl is due in just over 3 weeks! So definitely want to be studying from home for the moment!I’m already stressing about all this though! Worrying about getting distinctions etc as I feel the fact I scraped by with the last course was a big factor in not being offered any places last time! I’ll be looking at applying to Bournemouth (Portsmouth campus), Southampton and any unis in this general area when the time comes!
Original post by Stillhere...
This is all really reassuring to read! I did an access to HE course in 2012 with a view to studying midwifery, I applied 3 years in a row through UCAS after completing my access and never gained a place. I was absolutely heartbroken and gave up! I didn’t get great grades on the access at the time due to my relationship circumstances and 3 young children! I’ve since gotten out of the marriage, worked on my mental health and my children are a lot older! I now feel ready to try again! I’m planning on starting with the access to midwifery through learn direct as a refresher due to no recent academic study and the fact my first baby girl is due in just over 3 weeks! So definitely want to be studying from home for the moment!I’m already stressing about all this though! Worrying about getting distinctions etc as I feel the fact I scraped by with the last course was a big factor in not being offered any places last time! I’ll be looking at applying to Bournemouth (Portsmouth campus), Southampton and any unis in this general area when the time comes!

Hi! I am sorry to hear that you didn't get a place. It seems like it's always been very competative. That's amazing that you're in a place where you can try again, well done! What marks did you have at the time, mainly merits? I am worried about not getting in for the same reasons you did. Did you go any interviews? x
Original post by Fizzfudge
Hi! I am sorry to hear that you didn't get a place. It seems like it's always been very competative. That's amazing that you're in a place where you can try again, well done! What marks did you have at the time, mainly merits? I am worried about not getting in for the same reasons you did. Did you go any interviews? x

I got mainly passed last time to be honest. I was so disappointed in myself as I knew I could have done much better! I retaught myself maths and science so I could resit my GCSEs at my mums school. Passed with the grades I needed, so I know I can do this!

I think the situation I was in at the time along with the rejections from uni just got to me too much! First time I applied I got 2 interviews, got rejected after one and the other offered me a conditional offer but not for midwifery, for adult nursing, which I declined as I didn’t want to do that. Wish I’d taken the offer up now to be honest.

I’m crossing everything I’m going to be successful this time! X
Original post by Stillhere...
I got mainly passed last time to be honest. I was so disappointed in myself as I knew I could have done much better! I retaught myself maths and science so I could resit my GCSEs at my mums school. Passed with the grades I needed, so I know I can do this!

I think the situation I was in at the time along with the rejections from uni just got to me too much! First time I applied I got 2 interviews, got rejected after one and the other offered me a conditional offer but not for midwifery, for adult nursing, which I declined as I didn’t want to do that. Wish I’d taken the offer up now to be honest.

I’m crossing everything I’m going to be successful this time! X

Yeah just stick at it! You'll get there! Good luck x
Reply 11
Hi everyone,

Sorry to jump onto this thread, hope u all don't mind. I have just joined the student room tonight lookin for some personal experiences with the he access to midwifery course. I haven't signed up just yet as I'm waiting on the university I am interested in getting back to me with confirmation that they will accept this course and a few other things. I'm a mature student (late thirties) so been out of education a very long time, midwifery is a complete career change for me but has been a burning ambition of mine for a very long time, I just never thought it was possible as I left school with only GCSEs. My biggest concern with the course is science, I only got DD in my GCSE double award..not that I could rem a single thing from then anyway..but I basically have no science knowledge. Am I crazy for thinking I could take this course on?
Hi,

Hi, I hope you are still reading this!

I am currently stuck on unit 13 of the access to HE midwifery course. I have so much information that I am wayyyy over my word count but I don't know what to get rid of.

Any pointers on what you included would be fab if possible please! :smile:
Thank you
Original post by Mrsg20
Hi everyone,

Sorry to jump onto this thread, hope u all don't mind. I have just joined the student room tonight lookin for some personal experiences with the he access to midwifery course. I haven't signed up just yet as I'm waiting on the university I am interested in getting back to me with confirmation that they will accept this course and a few other things. I'm a mature student (late thirties) so been out of education a very long time, midwifery is a complete career change for me but has been a burning ambition of mine for a very long time, I just never thought it was possible as I left school with only GCSEs. My biggest concern with the course is science, I only got DD in my GCSE double award..not that I could rem a single thing from then anyway..but I basically have no science knowledge. Am I crazy for thinking I could take this course on?

Hi,

Science was totally not my thing at school! However, I seem to have picked this up much quicker. Probably because there aren't as many distractions and I don't hate my teacher LOL.
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that if you put the effort in and really do your reading and research, there's no reason you won't be able to do it. :smile:
Hi,

Hi, sorry to jump on im on UNIT 10 of the learn direct midwifery access. I have asked my tutor for guidance as I am utterly confused and out of my depth. I need 10 Distinctions at least and I have 2 and 2 merits out of 15 so far. (so ideally need another 8 in the next 11) This alone has caused me so much stress! Any advise help would be super!
Original post by claireb833
Hi, sorry to jump on im on UNIT 10 of the learn direct midwifery access. I have asked my tutor for guidance as I am utterly confused and out of my depth. I need 10 Distinctions at least and I have 2 and 2 merits out of 15 so far. (so ideally need another 8 in the next 11) This alone has caused me so much stress! Any advise help would be super!

Hi I am also on unit 10 of the midwifery access course. What are you stuck with? I will help if i can. I need to do question 2 and 3 before I can submit but I;ve been moving house and had a big break from it. Really struggling to get back into the swing of things.
Rhian
Hi everyone, So I'm about to enroll on to the Access to MW course. My questions are more about the university places. How and when do you go about applying? Has anyone done an open university course whilst still working and how have you found that? Any insight really appreciated Well done to you all going after your dreams
Hi,

Hello I was hoping you could help me with my unit 3 as I am studying this course aswell, thank you
Original post by Eloizeloveday
Hello I was hoping you could help me with my unit 3 as I am studying this course aswell, thank you

@Eloizeloveday

What is the contents of the Unit you mentioned? I've taught on an Access to HE Nursing Pathway for nearly 10 years if it is a social sciency one rather than biology or health science I might be able to help (the unit's at my provider have names rather than numbers)

Marc
Arden University Student Amabssador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending