The Student Room Group

British Council Language Assistants 2021/22

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else was thinking of applying for the British Council Language Assistantship for next year (2021)?

I can imagine with Covid-19, there might be less people than usual.
Nevertheless, I am thinking of applying to Spain next year and potentially Mexico in the year after that.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! I started my application for Spain today!! Finding the supporting statement etc. stuff pretty difficult. Not sure what exactly they are looking for!! How's yours going?
Reply 2
Yay, I'm glad I found someone that's also applying!

I haven't started my application yet but I can imagine it will take me a long time to complete the supporting statement as well.
Do you have regional preferences already? I'm slowly doing my research but haven't decided where I wanna go yet.
Reply 3
Original post by annak820
Yay, I'm glad I found someone that's also applying!

I haven't started my application yet but I can imagine it will take me a long time to complete the supporting statement as well.
Do you have regional preferences already? I'm slowly doing my research but haven't decided where I wanna go yet.

Me too!! I was struggling to find any info online so super happy to know you're applying too!
It's chill though because the deadline isn't until February... we've got a while :smile:
Yeah I've been thinking about that, I've got a close friend in Valencia and I like the region a lot so I'm putting that as my first choice (despite the recent difficulties with pay which are a tad worrying...) Not too sure about my other choices, potentially Argon and Extremadura, still researching though, have you got any vague ideas? Also, how's your spanish? I'm very much a beginner but the prospect of actually going to Spain is definitely motivating me to work hard atm..!
Reply 4
I'm applying for france! Struggling with my support statement as I want it to be perfect but have no idea what to write :/
Hi, I'm applying for Spain this year too! I will just have finished my degree :smile: I'm struggling on what to write in the application though! But it'll be fiiiiine :smile:
I'm going to be applying too. I'm pretty sure I'm going to choose Valencia. I do wonder where I'll be placed though. I like Alicante and have heard great things about Valencia. My preference is to teach adults in one of the big cities rather than say school children or in a small village.

My Spanish is a little all over the place. I know a decent amount of vocab but my grammar is pretty terrible. I really need to study before going. I just hope the world will look a little different by next October!
Reply 7
It's great to see everyone applying :smile:

I still haven't started my application yet but I am planning to get it done over the winter holidays.
For me, I don't really have a strong preference for a location (I'll be happy anywhere haha) but I prefer working with children.
In terms of Spanish, I have only been self-studying so I am not that great. I'm more confident with reading, but I'm terrible when it comes to listening and speaking as I just haven't had much practice. But I'm sure that would come more naturally when I get to Spain!
I can't make up my mind of where I want to go. Madrid has now become my preferred choice but this might change again next week!

With the application, can you add to it every so often and save it before submitting?
Original post by peacecalling
I can't make up my mind of where I want to go. Madrid has now become my preferred choice but this might change again next week!

With the application, can you add to it every so often and save it before submitting?

I'm the same! I keep switching between Galicia, Extremadura, Andalusia, Murcia, Pais Vasco, I just don't know which to go for! I studied in Catalonia for my year abroad (and loved it), but because I've been there before, I wanna try somewhere new!

Yes, you can add things to the application, there is a save button on each page I believe :smile: I've filled out the general information so far, but am writing my personal statement thing on a word document to check over it before I put it in the main application :smile:
Original post by elipollylu
I'm the same! I keep switching between Galicia, Extremadura, Andalusia, Murcia, Pais Vasco, I just don't know which to go for! I studied in Catalonia for my year abroad (and loved it), but because I've been there before, I wanna try somewhere new!

Yes, you can add things to the application, there is a save button on each page I believe :smile: I've filled out the general information so far, but am writing my personal statement thing on a word document to check over it before I put it in the main application :smile:

ah great, thanks I'll make a start!

wow, that's a long list of places you are switching between haha! With Spain, I feel like you can't go wrong with any region really.
I’m applying too! Going for France, Spain and Belgium.

I think my application is pretty decent (not bragging, just that I have done some EFL teaching before so it’s got to help right?) but I know they prioritise language students on compulsory years abroad which I’m not. Would be really great if anyone had any stats on how many people apply vs how many get accepted! Especially given that we seem to find out quite late in the year, it would be good to have a better idea of what our chances are.

If anyone wants to talk more and help each other out then message meee
Original post by orchidmantis
I’m applying too! Going for France, Spain and Belgium.

I think my application is pretty decent (not bragging, just that I have done some EFL teaching before so it’s got to help right?) but I know they prioritise language students on compulsory years abroad which I’m not. Would be really great if anyone had any stats on how many people apply vs how many get accepted! Especially given that we seem to find out quite late in the year, it would be good to have a better idea of what our chances are.

If anyone wants to talk more and help each other out then message meee

Yeah I think EFL teaching experience will go in your favour! :smile: I read somewhere (but can't remember where now) that in Spain, they offer 1000+ people per year a place on the BC assistantship, and that in Ecuador they have 3 places, and in Italy they have around 60 places (I know out of those you're only applying to Spain, but these are the only ones I can remember, sorry!)

I was on my study abroad year last year in Spain and met two people doing this programme - one was a student from the UK doing their year abroad, and the other had applied having done it previously in Austria! :smile:
Hi guys, I just graduated this summer and missed out on the deadline for ELA application last year so applying again this year. I'm thinking of going to Spain but have no idea where since there's so many locations.

Can anyone recommend the best regions/cities to go to for improving my Spanish (specifically castellano)? I know I'll be teaching English but outside of class I'd like to be in a city/region where I can really improve my language skills.

Reply 14

I completed my application last week (just need my reference to do his bit now), and would highly recommend doing it every so often rather than assuming you can sit down and write it all in one go. It was definitely harder than I expected, but was also quite enjoyable to do as more fun/uplifting than my uni work atm...!
Original post by GJP8448
I completed my application last week (just need my reference to do his bit now), and would highly recommend doing it every so often rather than assuming you can sit down and write it all in one go. It was definitely harder than I expected, but was also quite enjoyable to do as more fun/uplifting than my uni work atm...!

You are definitely correct! I'm surprised by how in-depth it is! Although, I guess with only limited spots available in some countries they need a way to help decide the best applicants. I'm hoping with them usually having lots of spots for Spain my application will be okay!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ingriddracula
Hi guys, I just graduated this summer and missed out on the deadline for ELA application last year so applying again this year. I'm thinking of going to Spain but have no idea where since there's so many locations.

Can anyone recommend the best regions/cities to go to for improving my Spanish (specifically castellano)? I know I'll be teaching English but outside of class I'd like to be in a city/region where I can really improve my language skills.

Do you prefer a big city? Small town? coast? there are many options. Personally, I think the best way to ensure you'd pick up Castellano would be a small town in somewhere like Extremadura.
Do you prefer a big city? Small town? coast? there are many options. Personally, I think the best way to ensure you'd pick up Castellano would be a small town in somewhere like Extremadura.

Hey, thanks for the recommendation I'll definitely have a look at Extremadura. I'm like everyone else keep changing my mind haha.
I’ve applied for Canada and France! I found the application really long especially the supporting statement, but managed to get it done :smile: I’m kinda worried about getting an interview and how it’ll be done... especially as Canada only has limited spaces
Hello all!

I have just submitted my application for Spain! I'm just waiting for my referee to send my reference off now, but I'm excited to hear whether I've been accepted! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending