The Student Room Group

Changing my uni chiices

Hi, I applied to Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Cardiff and Sheffield with AAA predicted last Friday for law.

I have now received an offer form my first choice, Manchester.

As those of you applying for law know, only one of my options (Cardiff) is lower than AAA.

Do I swap out 2 of my AAA for 2 other unis lower than to act as backup as it is offers from any other AAA uni would be pointless?

Was thinking Newcastle and Birmingham for Sheffield and Liverpool?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Don’t you like cardiff as a backup/insurance?
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Don’t you like cardiff as a backup/insurance?

Not bothered really as I won’t be aiming for it, but I don’t know if they’ll give me an offer.
Original post by Peter76530
Not bothered really as I won’t be aiming for it, but I don’t know if they’ll give me an offer.

My point is - you have an offer from your top choice...so why do you need to mess about swapping choices? Are you suddenly doubting your ability to meet the conditions from Manchester? Do you want an insurance choice other than Cardiff?
What do you think you will gain from substituting choices?
Reply 5
Hi, I applied to Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Cardiff and Sheffield with AAA predicted last Friday for law.

I have now received an offer form my first choice, Manchester.

As those of you applying for law know, only one of my options (Cardiff) is lower than AAA.

Do I swap out 2 of my AAA for 2 other unis lower than to act as backup as it is offers from any other AAA uni would be pointless?

Was thinking Newcastle and Birmingham for Sheffield and Liverpool?

mhmm doesn't changing one of your choices like send your whole application again because when I did it I got a new welcome email
Original post by PQ
My point is - you have an offer from your top choice...so why do you need to mess about swapping choices? Are you suddenly doubting your ability to meet the conditions from Manchester? Do you want an insurance choice other than Cardiff?

M..
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by PQ

What’s the point of getting AAA offers form Leeds Sheffield and Liverpool when I won’t firm them? I need an insurance choice and if I don’t sub out, I am banking on Cardiff giving me an offer.
Reply 8
Original post by ioigini
mhmm doesn't changing one of your choices like send your whole application again because when I did it I got a new welcome email

It doesn’t say that on their website?
What’s the point of getting AAA offers form Leeds Sheffield and Liverpool when I won’t firm them? I need an insurance choice and if I don’t sub out, I am banking on Cardiff giving me an offer.

Right. Which is why I asked if you were unhappy with cardiff as an insurance choice.
If you aren’t happy/confident with cardiff then substitute one or two choices (although if you look at clearing grades from the last few years then you’ll probably find Liverpool is a better insurance choice than cardiff in terms of grades despite their AAA offer level).
Original post by PQ
Right. Which is why I asked if you were unhappy with cardiff as an insurance choice.
If you aren’t happy/confident with cardiff then substitute one or two choices (although if you look at clearing grades from the last few years then you’ll probably find Liverpool is a better insurance choice than cardiff in terms of grades despite their AAA offer level).

You know what I did think that about Liverpool which would be great backup as it’s a big city, but I though as I’d only insuranced them and not firmed they might be strict. How many grades below do you think they’d accept?

Do you know if Liverpool give out contextual offers? I was under the impression that they didn’t? They only use contextual data on results day of you miss their offer
(edited 3 years ago)
You know what I did think that about Liverpool which would be great backup as it’s a big city, but I though as I’d only insuranced them and not firmed they might be strict. How many grades below do you think they’d accept?

@harrysbar has a great summary of the grades various universities were asking for in clearing last year (and remember universities will usually be even more lenient with firm/insurance students than with clearing offers)
Thank you PQ

Liverpool were not in Clearing last year (a strange year due to the higher than normal proportion of people getting high grades) but the previous year they accepted people around the BBB mark

Here is a list of some popular unis that had vacancies for the LLB in Clearing on A level results day 2020

Aberdeen ABB not accepting applications from Scottish or EU students
Aston BCC
Birmingham has vacancies for international students only at around AAA.
Bristol has vacancies for international students only at A*AA or A*A*B &LNAT
Alternative courses for home students include History at AAA (ABB contextual)
Buckingham BBB-BBC
Cardiff AAB-ABB
City ABB-BBB
Dundee currently has vacancies for English/NI/Welsh students only AAB
Durham - not in Clearing & Adjustment
East Anglia AAB/ABB
Essex BBB
Exeter had vacancies in early Clearing for international students only at their main campus at BBC or equivalent. They also had Law with Business vacancies at their smaller campus in Cornwall (Penryn) at BBB for UK/EU students but these were filled before A level results day.
Goldsmiths ABB
Huddersfield (BBB or equivalent UCAS points)
Hull around BBB but call the Clearing Hotline to discuss
Keele BBB/ABC
Kent ABB
Kings A*A*A call admissions on +44 (0)20 3858 1050 for possible Adjustment otherwise consider an alternative course
Lancaster AAB for LLB Law or BBB for BA Criminology with Law
ULaw BBB
Leicester BCC
Manchester AAA/AAB contextual
Newcastle ABB on results day
Nottingham AAB plus LNAT
Nottingham Trent BBB
Oxford Brookes BCC-CDD contextual
QMUL around AAA but places filled by mid morning
Queens Belfast BBB/ABC
Reading offer given at ACD
Royal Holloway CCC
Sheffield had vacancies at ABB
Southampton ABB
Surrey ABB-BBB
Sussex BCC
Swansea - around BBB but phone the Clearing hotline to discuss
Warwick do not have vacancies for Law but they do have alternative vacancies such as History or English at BBB
York - LLB vacancies for international students only at AAB.
Original post by harrysbar
Thank you PQ

Liverpool were not in Clearing last year (a strange year due to the higher than normal proportion of people getting high grades) but the previous year they accepted people around the BBB mark

Here is a list of some popular unis that had vacancies for the LLB in Clearing on A level results day 2020

Aston BCC
Buckingham BBB-BBC
Cardiff AAB-ABB
City ABB-BBB
East Anglia AAB/ABB
Essex BBB
Exeter had vacancies in early Clearing for international students only at their main campus at BBC or equivalent. They also had Law with Business vacancies at their smaller campus in Cornwall (Penryn) at BBB for UK/EU students but these were filled before A level results day.
Goldsmiths ABB
Keele BBB/ABC
Kent ABB
Kings A*A*A call admissions on +44 (0)20 3858 1050 for possible Adjustment otherwise consider an alternative course
ULaw BBB
Leicester BCC
Nottingham AAB plus LNAT
Nottingham Trent BBB
Queens Belfast BBB/ABC
Royal Holloway CCC
Southampton ABB
Surrey ABB-BBB
Sussex BCC
Warwick do not have vacancies for Law but they do have alternative vacancies such as History or English at BBB

How reliable is this? This is from 2018 and says Liverpool has no entrants for law through clearing?

12538431-997D-4019-8A7C-868C250A9E62.jpg.jpeg
How reliable is this? This is from 2018 and says Liverpool has no entrants for law through clearing?

in 2018 Liverpool accepted 640 students for Law. 620 of those were firm or insurance choices.
In 2019 Liverpool accepted 540 students for Law. 515 of those were firm or insurance choices.
(source: https://www.ucas.com/data-and-analysis/undergraduate-statistics-and-reports/ucas-undergraduate-end-cycle-data-resources-2019/provider-level-end-cycle-data-resources-and-unconditional-offer-reports DR_2019_03_014_01 <= all accepts, DR_2019_03_014_02 <= firm and insurance accepts)

Liverpool has a history (in Law at least) of accepting very broad grades from their firm and insurance choices rather than using clearing to "top up" with applicants.

Between 2017-2019 Liverpool accepted over 20% of their entrants with tariff points below 128 (ABB with no additional qualifications) https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10006842/LLB_LW/Full-time/
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you PQ

Aston BCC
Buckingham BBB-BBC
Cardiff AAB-ABB
City ABB-BBB
East Anglia AAB/ABB
Essex BBB
Goldsmiths ABB
Keele BBB/ABC
Kent ABB
ULaw BBB
Leicester BCC
Nottingham AAB plus LNAT
Nottingham Trent BBB
Queens Belfast BBB/ABC
Royal Holloway CCC
Southampton ABB
Surrey ABB-BBB
Sussex BCC

Sorry to jump on this post, where can I find this data from please? I’d love to check it for the course I applied for
Original post by PQ
in 2018 Liverpool accepted 640 students for Law. 620 of those were firm or insurance choices.
In 2019 Liverpool accepted 540 students for Law. 515 of those were firm or insurance choices.
(source: https://www.ucas.com/data-and-analysis/undergraduate-statistics-and-reports/ucas-undergraduate-end-cycle-data-resources-2019/provider-level-end-cycle-data-resources-and-unconditional-offer-reports DR_2019_03_014_01 <= all accepts, DR_2019_03_014_02 <= firm and insurance accepts)

Liverpool has a history (in Law at least) of accepting very broad grades from their firm and insurance choices rather than using clearing to "top up" with applicants.

Between 2017-2019 Liverpool accepted over 20% of their entrants with tariff points below 128 (ABB with no additional qualifications) https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10006842/LLB_LW/Full-time/

Wasn’t Liverpool standard offer on their website ABB before? Wouldn’t this effect things

It’s as reliable as the people who posted on TSR with news about what grades they got accepted into Liverpool with in 2919 or what grades they said they wanted. They could be lying but why would they?
The situation may have been different other years but it was a surprise to many people when Liverpool raised their requirements to AAA
It’s as reliable as the people who posted on TSR with news about what grades they got accepted into Liverpool with in 2919 or what grades they said they wanted. They could be lying but why would they?
The situation may have been different other years but it was a surprise to many people when Liverpool raised their requirements to AAA

Would you argue that I could insurance Sheffield at AAA and maybe them still take me with AAB/ABB?

If so, this would be lees likely than Liverpool?
Would you argue that I could insurance Sheffield at AAA and maybe them still take me with AAB/ABB?

If so, this would be lees likely than Liverpool?

As @PQ has pointed out, Liverpool have a long history of accepting students onto their LLB course with grades below AAA - they don't necessarily enter Clearing (or sometimes only appear briefly) but they are traditionally very flexible with the grades their applicants achieve - more so than Sheffield. They used to place themselves as an AAB - ABB uni but even then students on TSR reported getting in with grades below that so the decision to market themselves as an AAA uni was a bit of a surprise.

However, I wouldn't want to predict what will happen in 2021. Going back to your original question, I can't see the point swapping Sheffield and Liverpool for Newcastle and Birmingham if you prefer the first two unis. If anything, Birmingham is normally the least flexible with grades although I know this year they have officially reduced their offer level to AAB.

Long story short - only swap Sheffield & Liverpool for Newcastle & Birmingham if you prefer them, otherwise stick with what you already have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending