The Student Room Group

Family Law Essay

In the light of the soon to be implemented reform to divorce law there is now an even stronger case to abolish most aspects of the law of nullity.

I don't understand the question, ive planned a bit but any suggestions of advice, this is 1500 words.
Reply 1
Hi,

The law of nullity relates to declaring that a marriage never took place to begin with, and so was void from the beginning.

From the statement, I think the question is trying to get at the fact that this concept of nullity brings with it issues, and so it needs to either be reformed or gotten rid of entirely....is this something which the reforms to divorce law will achieve?

I would structure it as follows:

- Define and explain the law of nullity

- explain the issues around the law of nullity (and possibly some reasons why it is a good thing, bringing in various academic opinion and comparing these views for critical analysis, which would give you higher marks.)

- explain the reforms to divorce law (what does it achieve? what are the aims of the reform? why would they create the need to abolish the law of nullity? how would the reforms replace aspects of the law of nullity?)

- Do the reforms work to get rid of the law of nullity? do the reforms render aspects of the law of nullity powerless? do the reforms overpower the law of nullity, meaning that we now no longer need the law of nullity? (With the new reforms to divorce law, do we still need to say the marriage was void from the beginning? or do the reforms assist both parties in such a way, that they can both carry on with their lives independently without making such a drastic declaration?....if so how? do reforms allow parties not to have responsibilities to one another? can they walk away freely? what about if there are children involved --> this could be a point for contrast and critique)

- conclusion - this can be whatever you feel is correct, i don't think there will be a right or wrong answer, but you will have to back up your points with supporting evidence. It will just be your opinion, but you gotta make sure it flows in the essay and ultimately, you will be arguing whether the statement you've been given is accurate or not, arguing this point throughout the essay.

Hope that helps!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Knaz2020
Hi,

The law of nullity relates to declaring that a marriage never took place to begin with, and so was void from the beginning.

From the statement, I think the question is trying to get at the fact that this concept of nullity brings with it issues, and so it needs to either be reformed or gotten rid of entirely....is this something which the reforms to divorce law will achieve?

- explain the issues around the law of nullity (and possibly some reasons why it is a good thing, bringing in various academic opinion and comparing these views for critical analysis, which would give you higher marks.)

- explain the reforms to divorce law (what does it achieve? what are the aims of the reform? why would they create the need to abolish the law of nullity? how would the reforms replace aspects of the law of nullity?)

- Do the reforms work to get rid of the law of nullity? do the reforms render aspects of the law of nullity powerless? do the reforms overpower the law of nullity, meaning that we now no longer need the law of nullity? (With the new reforms to divorce law, do we still need to say the marriage was void from the beginning? or do the reforms assist both parties in such a way, that they can both carry on with their lives independently without making such a drastic declaration?....if so how? do reforms allow parties not to have responsibilities to one another? can they walk away freely? what about if there are children involved --> this could be a point for contrast and critique)

- conclusion - this can be whatever you feel is correct, there won't be a right or wrong answer, but you will have to back up your points with supporting evidence. It will just be your opinion, but you gotta make sure it flows in the essay.

Hope that helps!

Hi it might not be related to this but I’m starting law next year the LLB how do you suggest I structure my essays for top marks as well as some tips ! Thank you
Original post by alliksdodge
Hi it might not be related to this but I’m starting law next year the LLB how do you suggest I structure my essays for top marks as well as some tips ! Thank you

notes. flashcards etc.
Reply 4
Original post by alliksdodge

Hi,

To be honest it really depends on the assignment you've been set.

A lot of the times, you will be given a long and complex statement, which you will then have to read through carefully, after which you will need to decide whether or not you agree with it. For these essays, a top tip would be to find a couple of solid points to support your views so that in the conclusion, you can refer back to it in a summary form.

But at the same time, find some strong academic opinion which goes against your views, This shows that you are able to think critically and can look at an issue from multiple perspectives. Try to justify why despite these criticisms, your point of view is still valid (with support from academics), as this is a key skill which you will really need to master for those higher grade boundaries. This will be the critical analysis part of your essay and is often where many students lose marks.

When writing essays, always be sure to signpost. So in your short intro paragraph, tell the reader exactly what you will be discussing, and try to signpost in the main body, so for instance "it is also important to consider point X", and then go on to that point in the next paragraph. This will make the essay very easy to read for the marker, and will also work to improve your marks for structure and layout, also if you're on the edge of two grade boundaries, small things like this can really help to push you into the next boundary up.

Reading! make sure to read a variety of materials, from books, journals, websites, blogs....this will be really worth it for finding good sources for essays and will also improve your marks from the knowledge gained, as well as showing the reader that you have researched the topic area well, which will be reflected in your bibliography.

You won't need to worry about this too much in your first year of law, you'll be expected to make mistakes and you'll naturally pick these skills up as you go along, and most of the elements i've described won't be examined in a highly strict sense. but in your second and definitely final year, you absolutely need to be very very good at this stuff to get the higher marks.

A lot to take in here but hope it helps.
Reply 5
Original post by Knaz2020
Hi,

- conclusion - this can be whatever you feel is correct, i don't think there will be a right or wrong answer, but you will have to back up your points with supporting evidence. It will just be your opinion, but you gotta make sure it flows in the essay and ultimately, you will be arguing whether the statement you've been given is accurate or not, arguing this point throughout the essay.

Hope that helps!

Wow, this was so helpful, just realised I missed a lot of key points! Thank you so much <3 this is more helpful than you can imagine GOD BLESS XOXO

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending