The Student Room Group

Honest opinions on sociology

Hi there, I have had this debate with many people in my year about wether sociology should be 1) considered a science and 2) wether it is a difficult subject when compared to science and humanities. I am on the sceptical side of sociology being a worth while subject at GCSE or A-level. I was wondering if I could get some other peoples opinions on it. Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
that's really interesting never reallly thought about it as a science
but im doing it for a level and it's definatly worth while
Reply 2
Original post by ^_^/
that's really interesting never reallly thought about it as a science
but im doing it for a level and it's definatly worth while

Would you consider it to be a perticually difficult subject as someone who does it?
( and thanks for the reply )
Reply 3
Original post by HepatitisB
Would you consider it to be a perticually difficult subject as someone who does it?

np :biggrin:
i don't think of i as very hard but there is a lot of writingand sociologist to remember you need to do so i do aqa you have up to 30 marker
but i enjoy it very much
do it

I also take the subject as an A Level and yes it is particularly difficult but it solely depends on you as an individual. It is a respected essay subject, and is quite similar in nature to subjects like Psychology, History and Politics in regards to essay structure. It’s a very very interesting subject and I would highly recommend it to anyone. And yes it is as difficult as a “Science and Humanities” since it is considered a humanities itself
Reply 6
Original post by ^_^/
np :biggrin:
i don't think of i as very hard but there is a lot of writingand sociologist to remember you need to do so i do aqa you have up to 30 marker
but i enjoy it very much

ok, that sounds pretty fair. Its good to hear the opinion from an a-level student doing it. Im currently in year 11 and theres people in my classes that keep telling me how its very difficult and what not, so I just wanted to get some other peoples opion on the matter. Im not syaing that its easy, just not as hard as thier making out. Thank you!!!!
Reply 7
ok, that sounds pretty fair. Its good to hear the opinion from an a-level student doing it. Im currently in year 11 and theres people in my classes that keep telling me how its very difficult and what not, so I just wanted to get some other peoples opion on the matter. Im not syaing that its easy, just not as hard as thier making out. Thank you!!!!

well its the easiest out of the subjects i'm doing :redface:
Nice I’m on the same exam board 😁 are you also doing Crime and Deviance and Media
Reply 9
Original post by tinygirl96
do it

Im not choosing my GCSE's or A-levels, I was just wondering your opinion on it since ive never learnt the subject. Why would you say its worth it?
Reply 10
Original post by NoMercy21
Nice I’m on the same exam board 😁 are you also doing Crime and Deviance and Media

im doing that next yr
so far im on education and family
Original post by ^_^/
im doing that next yr
so far im on education and family

O nice I did the exact same topics last year
1. whether it is a science is a huge debate which comes up as a large chunk in the a level, personally i’m on the fence but it’s very interesting.

2. yes, definitely a worthwhile subject. teaches you things that other subjects can’t
Reply 13
O nice I did the exact same topics last year

are you in yr 13
Original post by ^_^/
are you in yr 13

Yes 😁
Reply 15
Original post by jackson222
1. whether it is a science is a huge debate which comes up as a large chunk in the a level, personally i’m on the fence but it’s very interesting.

2. yes, definitely a worthwhile subject. teaches you things that other subjects can’t

Thats fair then, do you study it at GCSE or A-level out of unterest?
( and thanks for the reply)
Reply 16
Easiest A* you’ll probably get apparently
Sociology is absolutely not a science and any anybody who tells you otherwise is straight-up lying.
Reply 18
Yes 😁

cool :borat:
Thats fair then, do you study it at GCSE or A-level out of unterest?
( and thanks for the reply)

A level! and no problem, I think people look over it but it is really such a valuable subject not just for the qualification but for life imo, Im so much more informed of things than I would have been if I didn’t study it.

Quick Reply

Latest