The Student Room Group

A level options help!

I’m in year 11 and at the stage where I need to start picking my a level options. So far I’m interested in taking textiles, Spanish, biology/chemistry (open to taking both). I think I definitely want to do Spanish but I’m stuck between whether I want to do double science or textiles and either bio or chem.I don’t necessarily want to go into medicine, however I have thought about it before, but I do like the sound of something science based. I really enjoy textiles and I’m good at it, and also interested in a career in the fashion field. If I take textiles and one science I feel it will take the pressure off a bit rather than taking two sciences but I don’t want to close doors purely for that reason if I do decide to do something science based. In my science mocks (higher tier) I got a 5 with very little revision, I know if I really tried and revised more before my next mocks I can do better.Please help! Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
I only took three a levels and these were purely based on my personal interests rather than which career I wanted to pursue so I think it is really good that you are already thinking about why you want to choose certain subjects.

I knew people in sixth form who took four a levels so it is possible but there is always the option to drop one if the pressure becomes too much or you lose interest in one of the subjects.

Have you an advisor or a teacher (in those areas) you could email and ask for their advice?
Original post by MelWS
I’m in year 11 and at the stage where I need to start picking my a level options. So far I’m interested in taking textiles, Spanish, biology/chemistry (open to taking both). I think I definitely want to do Spanish but I’m stuck between whether I want to do double science or textiles and either bio or chem.I don’t necessarily want to go into medicine, however I have thought about it before, but I do like the sound of something science based. I really enjoy textiles and I’m good at it, and also interested in a career in the fashion field. If I take textiles and one science I feel it will take the pressure off a bit rather than taking two sciences but I don’t want to close doors purely for that reason if I do decide to do something science based. In my science mocks (higher tier) I got a 5 with very little revision, I know if I really tried and revised more before my next mocks I can do better.Please help! Thank you :smile:

so between biology and chemistry i think chem is the more respected science as most unis prefer it but you would usually need another science e.g. maths/biology/physics to a degree in medicine

if you're dedicated to medicine later on instead of doing a normal 5 year medical degree you can take a 6 year one (with a foundation year to "catch up" on A Level content)

for a career in fashion i think textiles is sufficient

im at the same stage as you so i dont have a lot of information since different universities have different requirements but i hope this was helpful! (:

Quick Reply

Latest