The Student Room Group

A Level Choices

I've been really struggling with A lvl choices and I can't decide whether to do further maths... I'm thinking about going into a physics related career in higher education. Would it really help my uni application to have it??
What Uni you thinking about?
If you're going into physics, you need to take maths and physics, so that's two down already.

As for your 3rd A-Level you could probably do anything, but Chemistry or Further Maths would probably be good choices
Original post by elpe
I've been really struggling with A lvl choices and I can't decide whether to do further maths... I'm thinking about going into a physics related career in higher education. Would it really help my uni application to have it??

I'd start it as a 4th option. You can always drop it or just do AS.
Original post by elpe

Maths, Further Maths and Physics seem like a good combo.
Further maths would be a very sensible choice for physics. Physics degrees are very heavily mathematical.

It may not directly help your university application but you'll get a headstart in the mathematical content of your degree and will be overall better prepared. A lot of the pure part of FM is very applicable to physics. (DEs, complex numbers, matrices, etc.)
Reply 6
Original post by Afrrcyn
What Uni you thinking about?

Probably Cambridge if I do well... I'm not sure yet
#
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
I'd start it as a 4th option. You can always drop it or just do AS.

Original post by finlay291202
If you're going into physics, you need to take maths and physics, so that's two down already.

As for your 3rd A-Level you could probably do anything, but Chemistry or Further Maths would probably be good choices

Thank you :smile:
Original post by elpe

For most physics related courses, further maths isn’t required but it is helpful to have it. From what I’ve gathered - I’m in yr 13 and want to study physics at uni - most people I’ve spoken to say it isn’t necessary however not having it means that first year of uni will require you to do some catching up. I’m not in uni yet so don’t take what I say as hard facts, I’m just relaying information that I’ve been told when asking people who are already in uni.
Reply 9
Original post by Zainaba luul
For most physics related courses, further maths isn’t required but it is helpful to have it. From what I’ve gathered - I’m in yr 13 and want to study physics at uni - most people I’ve spoken to say it isn’t necessary however not having it means that first year of uni will require you to do some catching up. I’m not in uni yet so don’t take what I say as hard facts, I’m just relaying information that I’ve been told when asking people who are already in uni.

Thanks! are you doing further maths yourself??
Original post by elpe
Thank you :smile:

Note that Cambridge don't offer a Physics degree ...
Original post by elpe
Thanks! are you doing further maths yourself??

No, I opted to do Chemistry at the start of sixth form instead of further maths - I regret that choice because I’ve always hated chem even when I did GCSEs, I have no idea why I picked it for a levels. I do physics, maths and chemistry.
Original post by elpe

If you want to study physics at Oxbridge then having further maths will help for both your application and when you start the course. Whilst not a requirement if you don't take it you would be significantly harming your chances. You should definitely take it. :smile:
What’s the difference between a level maths and further maths?
Original post by hootdoot04
What’s the difference between a level maths and further maths?

The clue is in the name, Further maths is maths at a more advanced level
I'm going to do further math alongside math. Our school does it so that we finish the whole A-level math course in year 12, then start on further math. If you're good at math, I don't see why you shouldn't do it! :biggrin:
Original post by finlay291202
The clue is in the name, Further maths is maths at a more advanced level

Fair enough :colone:
Reply 17
Original post by Incede
If you want to study physics at Oxbridge then having further maths will help for both your application and when you start the course. Whilst not a requirement if you don't take it you would be significantly harming your chances. You should definitely take it. :smile:

Thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest