The Student Room Group

Scottish students studying abroad

Has anyone studied in America? I really want to go to an American Uni to study psychology but it is so incredibly expensive.

If you have been, or go, were you able to get a scholarship? And how? Looking into it just now and it's making me even more confused.

Any info would be amazing, thanks so much :smile:
Original post by aamy12
Has anyone studied in America? I really want to go to an American Uni to study psychology but it is so incredibly expensive.

If you have been, or go, were you able to get a scholarship? And how? Looking into it just now and it's making me even more confused.

Helloooo i am not Scottish but i am English. I applied to american colleges this year ( don't know if i go tin to any yet lol ) but before you start researching you need to know whether you will be able to afford an education there or not - if you don't think you will be able to then there are still a lot of options!! There are 'Liberal Arts Colleges' in america, most of them will meet your full financial need. Only 5 of these do not factor how much money you need into your decision (Harvard MIT Amherst etc ). However most of them will look at how much money you need then choose whether to admit you or not. These are all pretty small (population of around 2000), and there isn't many. Other US bigger colleges do not give international financial aid but have a lot of international merit scholarships which I haven't really looked into as much but I know a bit about it. If you have any more questions then ask because i did a lot of research into it this year :smile: Hope that helped a bit hehe
Original post by aamy12

What year are you in? I'd recommend checking out the Sutton Trust US Programme if you're eligible.

Otherwise, the way through is pretty much need-based financial aid. Look at the individual websites for the universities that you are applying to to see if they offer this to international students. I'm an English Student at a US university atm so you can also feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Helloooo i am not Scottish but i am English. I applied to american colleges this year ( don't know if i go tin to any yet lol ) but before you start researching you need to know whether you will be able to afford an education there or not - if you don't think you will be able to then there are still a lot of options!! There are 'Liberal Arts Colleges' in america, most of them will meet your full financial need. Only 5 of these do not factor how much money you need into your decision (Harvard MIT Amherst etc ). However most of them will look at how much money you need then choose whether to admit you or not. These are all pretty small (population of around 2000), and there isn't many. Other US bigger colleges do not give international financial aid but have a lot of international merit scholarships which I haven't really looked into as much but I know a bit about it. If you have any more questions then ask because i did a lot of research into it this year :smile: Hope that helped a bit hehe

Hey man how u doin? Hope you got accepted to the unis u wanted to! Could you answer some questions I have regarding the US application process?
Original post by Vivi780
Hey man how u doin? Hope you got accepted to the unis u wanted to! Could you answer some questions I have regarding the US application process?

Hi. Please don't bump old threads.

In regards to the US application process, I created a guide to the entire thing. It's stickied in the North America forum, and linked here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7084168

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending