The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

I just got rejected from one of my two choices at Imperial College

Dear All,

In October I had applied to Computing MEng Department of Imperial College. On the 17th pf November I was asked to take an Online Admissions Test in which I personally believe that I did well, except one accidental mistake that I found out it was wrong. Since I LOVE Imperial and I visit it every time that I travel to London (I am from Greece) I decided to apply also in one more department of it. So, a couple of weeks ago I applied in the Electrical and Electronic Engineering Department MEng of Imperial, as a safer choice (I also sent a small paragraph to their email additional to my personal statement which was more Computer Science-oriented). However, 2 hours ago I got a message from UCAS Track saying that I was rejecting from EEE department, while I have not get any updates from Computing Department. After a discussion I had with my personal counselor (who is different from the one at school) he told that he is 100% sure that Computing Department will make me an offer, so this is why I was rejected from the other department. I have attended International Baccalaureate and my predictions are almost excellent: 44/45, with 777 in my Higher Level courses. Also, I read in a pdf provided from Imperial that when applicants do not get an offer they are told as soon as possible to find other options at other universities. So I found this as a good sign that I was rejected in such a short time period from EEE, while I have not receive any decision from Computing Department.

So what do you believe??

Thank you!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thanostriant
Dear All,

In October I had applied to Computing MEng Department of Imperial College. On the 17th pf November I was asked to take an Online Admissions Test in which I personally believe that I did well, except one accidental mistake that I found out it was wrong. Since I LOVE Imperial and I visit it every time that I travel to London (I am from Greece) I decided to apply also in one more department of it. So, a couple of weeks ago I applied in the Electrical and Electronic Engineering Department MEng of Imperial, as a safer choice (I also sent a small paragraph to their email additional to my personal statement which was more Computer Science-oriented). However, 2 hours ago I got a message from UCAS Track saying that I was rejecting from EEE department, while I have not get any updates from Computing Department. After a discussion I had with my personal counselor (who is different from the one at school) he told that he is 100% sure that Computing Department will make me an offer, so this is why I was rejected from the other department. I have attended International Baccalaureate and my predictions are almost excellent: 44/45, with 777 in my Higher Level courses. Also, I read in a pdf provided from Imperial that when applicants do not get an offer they are told as soon as possible to find other options at other universities. So I found this as a good sign that I was rejected in such a short time period from EEE, while I have not receive any decision from Computing Department.

So what do you believe??

Thank you!!

It’s up to Imperial. The EEE department thought your application wasn’t for them so maybe you’ll better suited for computing. We don’t know for sure whether Imperial might accept you.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by TheStarboy
It’s up to Imperial. The EEE department thought your application wasn’t for them so maybe you’ll better suited for computing. We don’t know for sure whether Imperial might accept you.

Why do you think it wasn’t for them?
Maybe because my Personal Statement was more CS-oriented?
They probably saw your PS was for EEE and just rejected you for lack of relevance. Since your PS is presumably relevant to the CS department there hopefully they will receive it more positively. Some universities do have a policy of only making one offer per applicant, regardless of how many courses they applied to there, as well (although this does not necessarily mean you will get an offer from the CS department either...).
Why???
Original post by artful_lounger
They probably saw your PS was for EEE and just rejected you for lack of relevance. Since your PS is presumably relevant to the CS department there hopefully they will receive it more positively. Some universities do have a policy of only making one offer per applicant, regardless of how many courses they applied to there, as well (although this does not necessarily mean you will get an offer from the CS department either...).

Do you believe that I have some chances with the grades I do have? Also is it a good sign that I have not get any message still from Computing Department although I applied to it earlier than EEE
Do you believe that I have some chances with the grades I do have? Also is it a good sign that I have not get any message still from Computing Department although I applied to it earlier than EEiam sure you will do fine

grades arent everything, I think nearly everyone in this fourm or any imperial forum has near perfect grades- this is not to put you down of course.
having good grade is a huge flex and take a great level of effort that a lot of people just arent able of giving. i am applying with A*A*A* which is really good on the Uk system but ia m still not trying to get my hopes too high cause I know that there is still a chance of rejection.
I applied for areospace engineering which is hard to get into but you applied to CS which is even harder to get into. idk what you grade translate to in the UK system but if they are good and your statement is good then just pray brother, ill be praying with you too my guy.
worse thing about applying t good university's is that you can't rejected even with what you think are perfect grade, a friend on mine got rejected from Oxford despite quite literally being the most gifted student I have ever meet. he appleid with 4A* and the most impressive portfolio of accomplishment however he got rejected from Oxford mathematic.
Why do you think it wasn’t for them?

Maybe because my Personal Statement was more CS-oriented?

Personal statement
I think it's possible to receive offers from both of your choices, as long as they're not in the same department? If you're doing two courses in the same department, idk e.g. Maths and Maths (Pure Maths), then I think only one offer will be made. I did MEng in Design Engineering and MEng in MechE...
Have you received an offer from at least one of these two? I was thinking about one offer policy, because the two departments are related
Original post by Maestoso58
I think it's possible to receive offers from both of your choices, as long as they're not in the same department? If you're doing two courses in the same department, idk e.g. Maths and Maths (Pure Maths), then I think only one offer will be made. I did MEng in Design Engineering and MEng in MechE...

^^ see previous message
^^ see previous message

No I haven't, though I've done my interviews for both of them. I think different names = different departments no matter how closely related they are?
I did not even get an interview invitation. I have only taken an online admissions test in the department of Computing, in which I think that I did well as I mention above
I did not even get an interview invitation. I have only taken an online admissions test in the department of Computing, in which I think that I did well as I mention above

When did you do the test?
Original post by InternetDweller
When did you do the test?

On 17th of November. I am now waiting for an offer or an interview invitation
On 17th of November. I am now waiting for an offer or an interview invitation

You might not get a reply till next year considering the staff gets holiday this Friday. They left a week's gap in between my interview invite and the interview itself.
Original post by InternetDweller
You might not get a reply till next year considering the staff gets holiday this Friday. They left a week's gap in between my interview invite and the interview itself.

have you applied to Computing?
have you applied to Computing?

Yep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending