The Student Room Group

regarding funding and cpr for interruption of studies

I am currently on a 5 year msc course ( with year abroad included). I have had some circumstance include dealing with anxiety for 5 months, my grandma was hospitalised due to covid and still isnt doing well thus need constant care, siblings also dealing with covid. My mum works so I have been caring mainly for them. Due to these circumstances I have sleep insomnia for the past two weeks which has detrimental my studies and focus. I have spoken my counsellor who has suggested taking a break this year. I am in my first year. How would this would student finance wise ?. I would use up one of my gift year so if in the future I need to repeat a year for any reason can I apply for cpr ?
Also I wanted to also clarify how much funding I am eligible for. Since I am on a 5 year course would it be 5 +1 years. Therefore 6 years in total. My degree includes year abroad and year industry.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by lola.ree
I am currently on a 5 year msc course ( with year abroad included). I have had some circumstance include dealing with anxiety for 5 months, my grandma was hospitalised due to covid and still isnt doing well thus need constant care, siblings also dealing with covid. My mum works so I have been caring mainly for them. Due to these circumstances I have sleep insomnia for the past two weeks which has detrimental my studies and focus. I have spoken my counsellor who has suggested taking a break this year. I am in my first year. How would this would student finance wise ?. I would use up one of my gift year so if in the future I need to repeat a year for any reason can I apply for cpr ?
Also I wanted to also clarify how much funding I am eligible for. Since I am on a 5 year course would it be 5 +1 years. Therefore 6 years in total. My degree includes year abroad and year industry.

Hi, can you confirm the full name of your course and university name.

Please also confirm how many years of previous study you have had in total.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, can you confirm the full name of your course and university name.

Please also confirm how many years of previous study you have had in total.
Thanks, Isaac

hello this is my first year of study so no previous years and is possible to do this without stating the uni.
The course is an msc course with and year industry
so first year
second year
third year
year in industry
then msc year
hello this is my first year of study so no previous years and is possible to do this without stating the uni.
The course is an msc course with and year industry
so first year
second year
third year
year in industry
then msc year

This sounds like an undergraduate course not masters.
Please confirm the course name and university.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
This sounds like an undergraduate course not masters.
Please confirm the course name and university.
Thanks, Isaac

It is an integrated masters degree that last 5 years. it is an undergraduate course. I don't feel comfortable stating my university course and name. I just want to know about the impact my circumstance will have on my funding.
It is an integrated masters degree that last 5 years. it is an undergraduate course. I don't feel comfortable stating my university course and name. I just want to know about the impact my circumstance will have on my funding.

If you have not already used your additional year then you can use it to retake a year now. You don't need to send evidence, however if you would like to have the additional year available in case you need to use it in the future then you can send evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm in order to have the additional year available to use again in the future.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
If you have not already used your additional year then you can use it to retake a year now. You don't need to send evidence, however if you would like to have the additional year available in case you need to use it in the future then you can send evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm in order to have the additional year available to use again in the future.
Thanks, Isaac

just to be clear. I am entitled to 6 years of funding since my course is 5 years long. If i deicide to switch to a 4 year course will the money for all my year be funded by sfe
just to be clear. I am entitled to 6 years of funding since my course is 5 years long. If i deicide to switch to a 4 year course will the money for all my year be funded by sfe

Good morning, the calculation we use is:

length of course + 1 additional year - previous study = entitlement.]

a 5 year course would be 5 + 1 - 0 = 6
a 4 year course would be 4 + 1 - 0 = 5
This is with 0 years of previous study.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply