The Student Room Group

Do sixth forms check your predicted grades?

Hi, I’m currently in Year 11 and I’m aiming to do Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and/or maths.

My science teacher has predicted me a 44 for combined science, even though I got a 66 in the mock. She is refusing to make my predicted higher, so I’m having to adjust the sixth forms I want to go to. I was aiming for LAE and Brampton, but I’m not unable to go as I don’t meet the requirements to study the course I want (they want a predicted grade of 77+). However, I still may go to the schools if I obtain 77 or higher in the real exams.

Do you know if sixth forms will check your predicted grades? I’m asking since I’m predicted 55 for science when I need 66. Or do you know any schools in SE London that will allow a predicted grade of 55?
I’m not familiar with the exact admissions process of the sixth forms in those areas but I’d definitely apply. I think many sixth forms have a scoring system to decide who gets a place so predicted grades are v important in the application. I got into a really good grammar sixth form with a grade below so you never know.
I would suggest if that doesn’t work that there is a chance you could go to the sixth form after you get the results and see if they have any places then. This happened to a few of my friends who changed their minds about sixth form at the last minute so drove to one they hadn’t applied to after results day and they did get a place because of their v good grades even though they weren’t predicted as high before.

Overall, I’d say apply as many places as you can before and get some really good references from teachers. Then also go to the sixth forms after results day. Good luck x
(edited 3 years ago)
Not that I know of, most colleges require at least 66 or there has to be an extenuating circumstance under which they may allow for you to take those subjects with a 55.
Original post by iixjessa
Hi, I’m currently in Year 11 and I’m aiming to do Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and/or maths.

My science teacher has predicted me a 44 for combined science, even though I got a 66 in the mock. She is refusing to make my predicted higher, so I’m having to adjust the sixth forms I want to go to. I was aiming for LAE and Brampton, but I’m not unable to go as I don’t meet the requirements to study the course I want (they want a predicted grade of 77+). However, I still may go to the schools if I obtain 77 or higher in the real exams.

Do you know if sixth forms will check your predicted grades? I’m asking since I’m predicted 55 for science when I need 66. Or do you know any schools in SE London that will allow a predicted grade of 55?

omggg i wanna go to either brampton or NCS and im gonna do the same as youuu!
Reply 4
Thank you, I’ll deffo try that! I’ve emailed a few of the sixth forms and they said that they can offer me a place, I just have to achieve those grades in the summer to be able to do those courses.
Reply 5
Original post by 16jayachandranju

Omg! What are your current predicted grades? Hopefully we will see each other at either NCS or Brampton!
Reply 6

Just want to warn you my sister goes Brampton. and they teach paper 1 AND 2 at the same time so you have two teachers for each subject. Also, you get tests like every week :smile:
Omg! What are your current predicted grades? Hopefully we will see each other at either NCS or Brampton!

8 for physics and chem and 9 for maths and bio, sadly 6 for english
and 7 for everything else
Original post by jamilsss
Just want to warn you my sister goes Brampton. and they teach paper 1 AND 2 at the same time so you have two teachers for each subject. Also, you get tests like every week :smile:

lol thanks
Reply 9
8 for physics and chem and 9 for maths and bio, sadly 6 for english
and 7 for everything else

Omg how do you revise for science? I’m really struggling especially with bio. Chem and physics I find a bit easier since it’s mainly maths
Reply 10
Original post by jamilsss

Lmaoo, isn’t that good tho? It makes sure you understand the content.
You could say that, but they go through it like really fast.

Lmaoo, isn’t that good tho? It makes sure you understand the content.
heyyy im in year 11 my predicted are like 5's and 6's. in science it was a 55= but i did ask my teacher if she could make it higher as i need to get a minimum of a six to go to the college i would like so she did make it a 66-...

even for history my predicted was a 7- ( as im getting 9s right now in history) my teacher made my predicted a 8- i think? was defo changed to 8 something

BUUTTT MATHS omd im so scared i have 5= as my predicted and im doing higher as well i asked my teacher to make my target grade higher as no college would let me do sciences if i have a 5 as my predicted it makes me look dumb. but they said they cant change it? so i asked the leaning head in year 11 and hes looking into it hopefully i get a 6= or 6- as my target grade.

colleges do look at predicted as it kinda clarifies what they think your going to get etc. but mocks are more important ace these and you can show youre better and theyll accept you... GOOD LUCK x
Reply 13
Original post by justagirltbh
heyyy im in year 11 my predicted are like 5's and 6's. in science it was a 55= but i did ask my teacher if she could make it higher as i need to get a minimum of a six to go to the college i would like so she did make it a 66-...

even for history my predicted was a 7- ( as im getting 9s right now in history) my teacher made my predicted a 8- i think? was defo changed to 8 something

BUUTTT MATHS omd im so scared i have 5= as my predicted and im doing higher as well i asked my teacher to make my target grade higher as no college would let me do sciences if i have a 5 as my predicted it makes me look dumb. but they said they cant change it? so i asked the leaning head in year 11 and hes looking into it hopefully i get a 6= or 6- as my target grade.

colleges do look at predicted as it kinda clarifies what they think your going to get etc. but mocks are more important ace these and you can show youre better and theyll accept you... GOOD LUCK x

its just really annoying that she won’t make my predicted higher seeing as I’m surpassing my predicted grade. Thanks for replying though! A few of my sixth forms aren’t due till the end of February, so I’ll just try and get higher in my end of jan/start of feb mocks. If she doesn’t make my predicted grade higher I’ll probably go to my head of year or something x
its just really annoying that she won’t make my predicted higher seeing as I’m surpassing my predicted grade. Thanks for replying though! A few of my sixth forms aren’t due till the end of February, so I’ll just try and get higher in my end of jan/start of feb mocks. If she doesn’t make my predicted grade higher I’ll probably go to my head of year or something x

yeah igy i emailed my maths teacher and she said no to changing it but other teachers happily changed it.... defo go to your head of year if she doesnt change it. no worries happy to help! good luck on your mocks youve got this! x
Reply 15
Original post by justagirltbh
yeah igy i emailed my maths teacher and she said no to changing it but other teachers happily changed it.... defo go to your head of year if she doesnt change it. no worries happy to help! good luck on your mocks youve got this! x

Thank you! And you too x

Hello fellow yr 11. I am also aiming to do Bio,Chem and maths in either NCS or LAE. The sixth form will check your grades BUT they will sometimes wait until you do the actual exam, they sometimes have a few places. I'm doing triple science and getting all 9's in that and maths but I still have to do the chem mock and the math mock (I did early entry bio). However, if you apply and write a personal statement that they deem good, you may be allowed. Also if I were you, speak to the head of science and ask if they can change it. They will base it off on your past results. Good luck!!
Omg how do you revise for science? I’m really struggling especially with bio. Chem and physics I find a bit easier since it’s mainly maths

I don't know if this is too late. But there is this YouTuber called Science With Hazel who teaches papers 1 and 2. Also, keep the revision guide next to you because she may miss a few key details. I would also like to apply to NCS but I'm scared about my english. Maths and all 3 sciences are 9 but English is a 7. And all my options are 7's aswell.

If you think that you deserve to have higher predicted grades but your teacher refuses to change them then try going to someone else (like a head of year, tutor, head of science) and explain how you think that you can do better and that you need higher predicteds for sixth form
Original post by Jhffbbhgxc
I don't know if this is too late. But there is this YouTuber called Science With Hazel who teaches papers 1 and 2. Also, keep the revision guide next to you because she may miss a few key details. I would also like to apply to NCS but I'm scared about my english. Maths and all 3 sciences are 9 but English is a 7. And all my options are 7's aswell.

omgg sameee

Quick Reply

Latest