The Student Room Group

Autumn Resits

After achieving ABB, i recently sat the autumn exams and feel like they did not go well at all. Do i have to mention the result i get in the autumn exam on my UCAS form even though i am sure i am going to choose my initial grades of ABB over the results i get in the autumn? I am planning on resitting in the summer if that helps.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Strive4Gr8ness29
After achieving ABB, i recently sat the autumn exams and feel like they did not go well at all. Do i have to mention the result i get in the autumn exam on my UCAS form even though i am sure i am going to choose my initial grades of ABB over the results i get in the autumn? I am planning on resitting in the summer if that helps.

Yes you should declare all results.
Isn't the whole benefit of the autumn exams the fact that you get to pick the highest grade out of the two? If i choose my initial grades there's no need to declare my autumn ones if I'm resitting in may?
Original post by PQ
Yes you should declare all results.

You acc only need to declare the better of the two
Isn't the whole benefit of the autumn exams the fact that you get to pick the highest grade out of the two? If i choose my initial grades there's no need to declare my autumn ones if I'm resitting in may?

Yes, I asked my academic head and that’s what he said too.
Original post by Lolamondayy

Thank you so much, that's put me at ease.
Btw this is from ofquals blog:
'If they don’t (improve their grade), it’s important to remember that their grades from the summer will still stand. And if they do improve their grade, they will be able to request a new certificate which shows only their best result(s).'
Therefore, there's no need for me to request a new certificate as i will take and declare my original results.

No

The exam board will only issue a certificate for the better of the two

UCAS has made it clear that they ask applicants to declare ALL results. Universities are aware of the situation for 2020 in year resits but that doesn't mean applicants should withhold their results.

Universities know the situation on which grades will be included on certificates.
UCAS and universities have made it clear that you should declare ALL results (summer 2020, autumn 2020 and any pending resits in summer 2021). They wont penalise you for differences between Summer 2020 and autumn 2020 results but they do need to see a full record of your results on your application.

Don't withhold results. It doesn't benefit your application it just makes it technically fraudulent and gives universities a reason to revoke any offers with no notice if they decide to be ********s in the summer.
Yes, I asked my academic head and that’s what he said too.

He's wrong

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/managing-applications/2021-guidance-and-changes#entering-qualifications-in-apply-2021
"This is the same for all students, and applies to the final grades they were ultimately awarded in summer 2020"
"Autumn series: Students taking these exams in England should add the qualifications as ‘pending’ if they apply before they have the results they aren’t considered to be resits. If they received grades in summer 2020 that were certificated, they should also add these."
How do you know they wont penalise us if there is a gap between results in the summer and autumn? I only took the autumn ones as i thought we could pick and choose results that beneift us.
Thanks for helping out.
How do you know they wont penalise us if there is a gap between results in the summer and autumn? I only took the autumn ones as i thought we could pick and choose results that beneift us.
Thanks for helping out.

Because I work for a university and we're well aware of the situation affecting results this year.
Original post by PQ
Because I work for a university and we're well aware of the situation affecting results this year.

Wait so how would you know if i sat the autumn exams if i didnt mention it?

How would unis find out?
Not planning on doing this but just curious as to the lengths they go for this sort of stuff etc.
Wait so how would you know if i sat the autumn exams if i didnt mention it?

How would unis find out?
Not planning on doing this but just curious as to the lengths they go for this sort of stuff etc.

:rolleyes:

If i withheld info, how would you know though? Bc i honestly believe there will be a huge gap between my summer n autumn results, im not even kidding. From ABB to ADD. Wouldnt that harm my choices? I would like to keep ABB for obvs reasons. Gonna try and resit to get into exeter law which needs AAA and ADD wont help me. Since exeter is my 1st choice, if i dont get in i dont want to have to take another gap yr bc of my awful autumn exams. What should i do?
(edited 3 years ago)
If i withheld info, how would you know though? Bc i honestly believe there will be a huge gap between my summer n autumn results, im not even kidding. From ABB to ADD. Wouldnt that harm my choices? I would like to keep ABB for obvs reasons. Gonna try and resit to get into exeter law which needs AAA and ADD wont help me. Since exeter is my 1st choice, if i dont get in i dont want to have to take another gap yr bc of my awful autumn exams. What should i do?

Declare your grades.

Don’t risk your application being flagged as fraudulent for a non existent advantage.
Original post by PQ
Declare your grades.

Don’t risk your application being flagged as fraudulent for a non existent advantage.

But if i get ADD, wouldnt unis believe my ABB is "inflated" and therefore the chance of me getting AAA for exeter law is slim. Hence, they'll reject me and i'll potentially have to take another gap yr to apply with my real grades?
So another yr of my life is at stake...
Btw i really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my concerns, i bet im a pain in the backside haha. Sorry!
But if i get ADD, wouldnt unis believe my ABB is "inflated" and therefore the chance of me getting AAA for exeter law is slim. Hence, they'll reject me and i'll potentially have to take another gap yr to apply with my real grades?
So another yr of my life is at stake...
Btw i really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my concerns, i bet im a pain in the backside haha. Sorry!

Have you spoken to Exeter about your worries?
Original post by PQ
Have you spoken to Exeter about your worries?

I've emailed them today about which grade they would prefer me to put on. Do you think i should try to call them instead?
I've emailed them today about which grade they would prefer me to put on. Do you think i should try to call them instead?

If you want a quick answer (about how they would view low autumn resit grades when you got ABB in summer 2020 and are resitting in summer 2021 - don’t ask them if they will approve of you withholding information in your application, that’s not going to help your application and puts them in an uncomfortable position) then ring them.

It's results day today right? Maybe give them a call now you know what actual grades you're working with :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending