The Student Room Group

I'm FAILING!!!! PLEASE HELP ME😭

--
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SJisAwesome_16
I am in year 12 and I am currently failing in my subjects. The main reason is that I don't revise.
I do AQA biology, AQA chemistry and AQA psychology.
I always end up doing a timetable before the test but I don't carry out my revsion plan or I just procrastinate. I really want to do well.
I did a biology paper today and I only knew 3 of the questions.
I've been getting terrible grades in Chemistry the whole time I've done it(because of this)
It's not even that I don't like the subject...
I just procrastinate or take too long doing something that should be done quickly
What should I do?
Can anyone help me on how to actually revise because I really want to be a good student and get high grades.
How shall I revise?!?!?
How do I discipline myself??
Please helppp

What doe your revision plan look like? In my exprience short blocks of time with rewards planned in work better. Why not use the holiday to get into some sort of routine and catch up ready for next term?
-Try revising in a new setting - go to the local library, work somewhere else in the house - a change in setting can make a difference

-Revise with music

- Time-lapse yourself revising; it works, strangely...

-Try not to think about revision holistically - as in, break things down into small steps you need to accomplish. So, instead of thinking “I need to get an A* in chemistry” (and consequently stressing yourself out), think “I need to revise this practical today”

-Try to do small modules of revision of each subject in short blocks - around 40 mins - 1hr.

-One final important thing: for the subjects you’re doing, you MUST do past papers. You should learn the content first, but an integral part of your revision should be doing LOADS of past papers. I doubt you can get anywhere close to an A if you avoid exam questions; they are incredibly important. If you struggle doing them at home, again, try and find a new setting. You could, one day, plan to go to the library and do a past paper under timed conditions if it helps.
Reply 3
Self discipline is what is needed. You’re doing all the right stuff in planning you just need to carry it out.

Even if you don’t plan specific subjects, dedicate a certain number of hours of your day to revision. I used to spend 5 hours a day revising, would do it at lunch and during free periods in the library and at home on a night.

The fact is there’s not really an answer to this other than if you want high grades you have to put in maximum effort, especially if your subjects don’t come naturally to you like they do to other people.

Plus, you’re in Year 12. Don’t worry too much about it. This has been a @&!? Year and even people in my year (13) have been getting Ds and Es when they were As and Bs last year. All you can do is try your absolute best. :smile:
Reply 4
I don’t think enough people mention how valuable YouTube videos are.

Stop rewriting notes, there’s no point. Watch something to understand that information (especially for biology) and then make a flashcard/ do QUESTIONS! HARD QUESTIONS, BE UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A MASTER
Original post by r7kytt
I don’t think enough people mention how valuable YouTube videos are.

Stop rewriting notes, there’s no point. Watch something to understand that information (especially for biology) and then make a flashcard/ do QUESTIONS! HARD QUESTIONS, BE UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A MASTER

Agreed. Pretty notes do nothing to help you revise. Learn the content quickly (but thoroughly), then tackle LOADS of PAST PAPERS and QUESTIONS.
Reply 6
Original post by Rockyd123
Agreed. Pretty notes do nothing to help you revise. Learn the content quickly (but thoroughly), then tackle LOADS of PAST PAPERS and QUESTIONS.

The questions are not meant to be easy.

If at any specific moment you sense the exercise getting easy, AUTOMATICALLY SWITCH

SWITCH SWITCH SWITCH

DONT EVER GET COMFORTABLE DOING SOMETHING.
I am in year 12 and I am currently failing in my subjects. The main reason is that I don't revise.
I do AQA biology, AQA chemistry and AQA psychology.
I always end up doing a timetable before the test but I don't carry out my revsion plan or I just procrastinate. I really want to do well.
I did a biology paper today and I only knew 3 of the questions.
I've been getting terrible grades in Chemistry the whole time I've done it(because of this)
It's not even that I don't like the subject...
I just procrastinate or take too long doing something that should be done quickly
What should I do?
Can anyone help me on how to actually revise because I really want to be a good student and get high grades.
How shall I revise?!?!?
How do I discipline myself??
Please helppp

One thing that has helped me with revising for GCSEs is this tiktok account called blairsbrainiacs. Its basically an account where a girl does 2 live streams each night where everyone revises and does work together. She does 20 minutes of work with some relaxing music in the background, then a 10 minute break of chatting, and repeating. Revising with the live helped me start the revision because there are loads of other people revising with you, and now I use the method of revising for 20, break for 10. Its really efficient and doesn't tire you out like doing a straight hour long session of revision does.
Another thing I like to do is revise with friends. Obviously I would only do this if you and your friends will actually get some revision done and not just sit around chatting, but I find it really motivational when there are other people doing work with you. We often do it on a facetime call and use the 20/10 minute method thing to keep us concentrating.
I hope this helps and I hope you can improve your grades!
That is a rough timetable I created for myself. Yh I was planning on sorting everything out in the holidays but I wanted to knw the most effective way.
My issue with short blocks of time is that I have too much to dothat I don't know how I can fit it in such short blocks of time, u knw?

You need to build in breaks - the plan looks far too intense - you won't stick to that. Work for an hour max then a break then look over that topice again - you'll remember it better. Then short break and repeat.

Why are you making notes; surely you have class notes already?
Original post by Nevarty
Self discipline is what is needed. You’re doing all the right stuff in planning you just need to carry it out.

Even if you don’t plan specific subjects, dedicate a certain number of hours of your day to revision. I used to spend 5 hours a day revising, would do it at lunch and during free periods in the library and at home on a night.

The fact is there’s not really an answer to this other than if you want high grades you have to put in maximum effort, especially if your subjects don’t come naturally to you like they do to other people.

Plus, you’re in Year 12. Don’t worry too much about it. This has been a @&!? Year and even people in my year (13) have been getting Ds and Es when they were As and Bs last year. All you can do is try your absolute best. :smile:

YES. I plan and everything but it's the actual carrying out I have issues with!
It doesn't come as naturally so definitely!!!
That was so motivational ngl XD
thank you everr so muchh
That is a rough timetable I created for myself. Yh I was planning on sorting everything out in the holidays but I wanted to knw the most effective way.
My issue with short blocks of time is that I have too much to dothat I don't know how I can fit it in such short blocks of time, u knw?

Tbh, I think that timetable is way too demanding and probably unrealistic. You need rest and a decent sleep as well.

In future, the best way to revise is little but often. So, rather than doing everything in the holidays, why not do a practice paper in each subject a week, or make notes for each subject per week? I did this and got 10 A*s at GCSE
I’m in year 10 and trust me I have the same problem

it’s just a matter of time, mindset and location
- find a quiet place fo example a library and put your phone to the side
- find the best resources (get the specification up from the AQA website and look at mark schemes)
- listen to lofi study music or game music (as there are no lyrics to listen to it calms the brain)
- get the best study method FOR YOU everyone is different some people prefer revision cards while some prefer mind maps
- and finally set a reasonable goal for yourself dont aim for too high if you know you might not achieve it

I HOPE THIS HELPS, GOOD LUCK!!!
Original post by stressedhoe
I’m in year 10 and trust me I have the same problem

it’s just a matter of time, mindset and location
- find a quiet place fo example a library and put your phone to the side
- find the best resources (get the specification up from the AQA website and look at mark schemes)
- listen to lofi study music or game music (as there are no lyrics to listen to it calms the brain)
- get the best study method FOR YOU everyone is different some people prefer revision cards while some prefer mind maps
- and finally set a reasonable goal for yourself dont aim for too high if you know you might not achieve it

I HOPE THIS HELPS, GOOD LUCK!!!

good luck to u too
thanks for ur reply
Original post by Rockyd123
Tbh, I think that timetable is way too demanding and probably unrealistic. You need rest and a decent sleep as well.

In future, the best way to revise is little but often. So, rather than doing everything in the holidays, why not do a practice paper in each subject a week, or make notes for each subject per week? I did this and got 10 A*s at GCSE

How long does each one of ur study blocks look like? and how long is the break in between?

yh...it's kinda intense so I should probably be less intense but the thing is how do I manage to catch up with the other lesson's notes along with the new content
but I should probably shorten it.. r u in yr 12 rn as well?
how many hours do u recommend I study a day?
Original post by selugawi
One thing that has helped me with revising for GCSEs is this tiktok account called blairsbrainiacs. Its basically an account where a girl does 2 live streams each night where everyone revises and does work together. She does 20 minutes of work with some relaxing music in the background, then a 10 minute break of chatting, and repeating. Revising with the live helped me start the revision because there are loads of other people revising with you, and now I use the method of revising for 20, break for 10. Its really efficient and doesn't tire you out like doing a straight hour long session of revision does.
Another thing I like to do is revise with friends. Obviously I would only do this if you and your friends will actually get some revision done and not just sit around chatting, but I find it really motivational when there are other people doing work with you. We often do it on a facetime call and use the 20/10 minute method thing to keep us concentrating.
I hope this helps and I hope you can improve your grades!

that sounds good(but I don't have tiktok unfortunately..). There's sort of a YouTube equivalent where it's live so I'll try that and see it's on my recommended but I haven't given it a go(ppl chat in it as well.)
working for 20 having break for 10?
so it's bit like pomodoro technique?

One of my friends is very studious and I aspire to be like her, but she's terrible to work with and I'll snap her head off if she carries on doing what she does XD(she always distracts me XD).
my other friend has responsibilities to attend to, so it's not the best but I'll ask and see :wink:
I think that's a great idea tbh!
YH I hope I end up revising too. Thank youu soo much. Ur a great helppp :smile:
I don't....
because of covid, our school does one week in, one week at home(online lessons) and the issue with that is we do required practicals on the weeks we're in.(not all the lessons but at least once.

Online, she tells us we have the powerpoint afterwards to make notes on. so yh it's not helpful :frown:

Where [roughly] are you that you are not back in school?
Original post by Muttley79
Where [roughly] are you that you are not back in school?

Leeds(well batley to be precise) We're tier 3 btw.
Leeds(well batley to be precise) We're tier 3 btw.

The tier is irrelevant you are meant to be in school .. are all the local schools doing this?
one of the best colleges around where we live is doing this and a few others. I go to a sixthform college..not a school..but yh I get what u mean it. They all have different methods. our sixth form's approach is one week yr 12 is in, the yr 13s are at home
the next week yr 12s r home and doing online lesson whilst the yr 13s r having their lesson.
but it's definitely unideal

This is not ideal nor what was encouraged. Does your teacher send the PPTs from the lesson? If not then ask for then and there are the notes with a few additions/annotations.

I hope school improves but please set yourself a more reliastic timetable.
Reply 19
one of the best colleges around where we live is doing this and a few others. I go to a sixthform college..not a school..but yh I get what u mean it. They all have different methods. our sixth form's approach is one week yr 12 is in, the yr 13s are at home
the next week yr 12s r home and doing online lesson whilst the yr 13s r having their lesson.
but it's definitely unideal

I’m in a similar situation. Every week I have 2x 3 hour lessons in college (morning from 9 am to 12pm)
Then alongside that I have about 3x 2 hour lessons online from home which are always in the afternoon.

It sucks and I hated it at first but as is life. It needed to happen. The college had 40 positives in 4 days.

My grades have dropped (A*AA to ACC) and I hope they will improve in time for the exams. But I’ve changed my plans for Uni and I am going in 2022 instead as I’ve decided to abandon History and follow my passion for art instead - so I have a place at art college for a years foundation course.

I want to stress over my grades but life has taught me that other things are more important. If I end up getting my prediction of A*A*A then that’s a nice win for me and I am eligible to apply to Oxford for Fine Art. If not... doesn’t really matter... plenty of other universities that will take me even if I get CCC. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest