The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Law with Hispanic Law 2021

I received an interview this morning for an interview at UCL for Law and Hispanic Law next week! I was a little shocked both because I didn't realise I'd have to do an interview anx because I got rejected from Oxford pre-interview. Does anyone have any idea as to what I might be asked in the interview, or how I should prepare? Also, what kind of percentage of candidates do they interview, is it just everyone? I'm nervous 😳😳 I thought I would definitely get rejected from UCL so I'm glad though

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
congrats on the interview!! although i don't know that much about the course, prepare for the typical questions:

why do you want to study this particular course?
why UCL?
what have you done in the past to explore this subject (e.g. work experience)?
what activities do you do to learn about the subject (e.g. reading)?
how long have you known you wanted to study this?
what would you like to do in the future?
is there a particular part of the course that interests you the most?
do you have any questions for us?

hope that helps xx
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Lol I'm applying to do law and Spanish for 2021 as well and was looking at UCL and apparently the interview is in order to assess your compotency in Spanish.
Screenshot_2020-12-12-22-40-46-57.jpg
Original post by toniiid
I received an interview this morning for an interview at UCL for Law and Hispanic Law next week! I was a little shocked both because I didn't realise I'd have to do an interview anx because I got rejected from Oxford pre-interview. Does anyone have any idea as to what I might be asked in the interview, or how I should prepare? Also, what kind of percentage of candidates do they interview, is it just everyone? I'm nervous 😳😳 I thought I would definitely get rejected from UCL so I'm glad though

Nice one! I’ve applied for Law with French Law but haven’t heard anything yet. Let me know how it goes (:
Reply 4
Original post by _azeem
Lol I'm applying to do law and Spanish for 2021 as well and was looking at UCL and apparently the interview is in order to assess your compotency in Spanish.
Screenshot_2020-12-12-22-40-46-57.jpg

yes people I've talked to have said this too, it's quite scary doing an interview (which is already scary) but just in a whole other language too🥴 i'm hoping it will go okay, people have said that they can give offers a day or even hours after the interview 😳
Reply 5
Original post by Harrya2020
Nice one! I’ve applied for Law with French Law but haven’t heard anything yet. Let me know how it goes (:

of course!! i think it'll probably be different people/faculties processing our applications so they'll be doing it at a different pace

it's so hard to find information as so few people apply, there are only 5-7 people per year for law with hispanic law at ucl 😳
Original post by toniiid
of course!! i think it'll probably be different people/faculties processing our applications so they'll be doing it at a different pace

it's so hard to find information as so few people apply, there are only 5-7 people per year for law with hispanic law at ucl 😳

My friend had an interview for architecture at UCL and he said it was really chill and they just wanted to get to know him really. And yea, there are so few applicants for our courses!
Reply 7
Original post by toniiid
yes people I've talked to have said this too, it's quite scary doing an interview (which is already scary) but just in a whole other language too🥴 i'm hoping it will go okay, people have said that they can give offers a day or even hours after the interview 😳

Is it ok if I can ask what u are predicted?
Just wondering because I put kings down instead of UCL and haven't heard back yet
Reply 8
Original post by _azeem
Is it ok if I can ask what u are predicted?
Just wondering because I put kings down instead of UCL and haven't heard back yet

of course that's fine! i am actually on a gap year at the moment, so i have my A levels already, i got A*A*A* in Spanish, Politics and English Lit :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by toniiid
of course that's fine! i am actually on a gap year at the moment, so i have my A levels already, i got A*A*A* in Spanish, Politics and English Lit :smile:

Ah nice well done, I'm predicted AAAA in geo Spanish history and English, so I probs wont get an offer lol
Reply 10
Hey! I’ve also applied for Law and Hispanic Law. I was wondering if anyone’s gotten any other offers or interviews, I haven’t heard nada from UCL and I’m stressed✨✨✨
Reply 11
Original post by Lgr_03
Hey! I’ve also applied for Law and Hispanic Law. I was wondering if anyone’s gotten any other offers or interviews, I haven’t heard nada from UCL and I’m stressed✨✨✨

I got an unconditional offer at like 4pm today after my interview yesterday and the offer holder day today😊😊 I think that when you get an interview it means they want to give you a place but just want to check your level of spanish is good enough! when did you apply?
Original post by toniiid
I got an unconditional offer at like 4pm today after my interview yesterday and the offer holder day today😊😊 I think that when you get an interview it means they want to give you a place but just want to check your level of spanish is good enough! when did you apply?

That’s amazing well done! Did they ask you about your personal statement or ask you legal questions or was it more a test of your fluency?
Reply 13
Original post by toniiid

OMG WELL DONE!!!! I saw in one of the other student room chats all your work experience and so on so I’m not surprised you’ve got an offer! I applied mid November but my LNAT went really bad lol. How was the interview? Like what type of questions did they ask you?
Reply 14
It was really chill! If they give an interview they know you're good enough to do Law, so they are just testing the language I think! We spoke for about 1 minute in English then he immediately switched and we talked for about 20 minutes in Spanish! The guy was really nice but I was still really nervous as spoken Spanish is not my strength... the questions they asked me were along these lines:

Why do you want to study Law and Hispanic Law at UCL?
Why did you choose this course over the straight Law course?
Questions about things I wrote (to do with Law and Spanish) on my personal statement
Questions about what is going on at the minute in the UK, like what are the issues and what I thought about them
Have you ever been to Spain?

My brain kind of shut down at a couple of the surprise questions and stumbled a lot over my words... I made a lot of mistakes but I still got an offer so they don't expect fluency!!

Also remember, there are different people doing these interviews for the different languages, I've heard that they all put a different focus on what they ask, some might ask more about Law, I've heard the interview is more about Law for the French course but I'm not sure

Original post by Lgr_03
OMG WELL DONE!!!! I saw in one of the other student room chats all your work experience and so on so I’m not surprised you’ve got an offer! I applied mid November but my LNAT went really bad lol. How was the interview? Like what type of questions did they ask you?

Original post by Harrya2020
That’s amazing well done! Did they ask you about your personal statement or ask you legal questions or was it more a test of your fluency?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Lgr_03

I had an awful day on the LNAT too, so just know it's clearly not a huge part of their selection process as my essay was awful (pretty sure it was why Oxford rejected me🥴🥴)
Reply 16
Original post by t0nii
It was really chill! If they give an interview they know you're good enough to do Law, so they are just testing the language I think! We spoke for about 1 minute in English then he immediately switched and we talked for about 20 minutes in Spanish! The guy was really nice but I was still really nervous as spoken Spanish is not my strength... the questions they asked me were along these lines:

Why do you want to study Law and Hispanic Law at UCL?
Why did you choose this course over the straight Law course?
Questions about things I wrote (to do with Law and Spanish) on my personal statement
Questions about what is going on at the minute in the UK, like what are the issues and what I thought about them
Have you ever been to Spain?

My brain kind of shut down at a couple of the surprise questions and stumbled a lot over my words... I made a lot of mistakes but I still got an offer so they don't expect fluency!!

Also remember, there are different people doing these interviews for the different languages, I've heard that they all put a different focus on what they ask, some might ask more about Law, I've heard the interview is more about Law for the French course but I'm not sure

Wow, must have been nerve racking! Well, well done on the offer again!! I’ll let you know when I receive my rejection haha
Reply 17
Original post by Lgr_03
Wow, must have been nerve racking! Well, well done on the offer again!! I’ll let you know when I receive my rejection haha

Noo don't think like that! I applied at the start of October, and was really disheartened as I got rejected from Oxford pre-interview 🥴 I thought I had no chance but I'm so happy now.. someone I know currently doing the course only got an interview in March but applied before the Oxbridge deadline!! Don't worry
Reply 18
Original post by Lgr_03

Hi, what other unis did u apply to, coz I'm doing law and Spanish too and haven't heard back yet from any of mine either
Reply 19
Original post by _azeem
Hi, what other unis did u apply to, coz I'm doing law and Spanish too and haven't heard back yet from any of mine either

Hey! So I’ve applied for different course at different unis. Exeter I applied for law with European studies, QMUL law with European law, Southampton European legal studies, Leeds Law with Hispanic Law and UCL Law with Hispanic Law. I’ve received offers from Exeter, Leeds and Southampton and I applied mid November, got Exeter and Southampton within the first week and Leeds at the beginning of December. But I’m kinda doubting picking Law so might take a gap year and figure out what I really want to study. Oopsie...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending