The Student Room Group

Calling all multi-linguists who fancy winning a trip to Berlin

Babbel, with a little help from us 😊 are looking to find the country’s most multilingual student. They’re searching for the student in the UK who speaks the largest number of languages (to conversational level or beyond) and offering a prize of an all-expenses-paid trip to their home city of Berlin!

If you think that you might qualify - or know someone who deserves to win - get in touch by sending an email to [email protected]

Please also include:

You (or your friend’s) name

The languages that you (or they) speak

The best way for us to get in contact

As part of the judgment process, students will be required to have informal and fun conversations - via Skype - with Babbel team members who also speak their languages. So a conversational proficiency in each language is a must!

Good luck, and tack / merci / danke / grazie.

For more info, visit https://uk.babbel.com/uk-multilingual-student
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Evil Homer
Babbel, with a little help from us 😊 are looking to find the country’s most multilingual student. They’re searching for the student in the UK who speaks the largest number of languages (to conversational level or beyond) and offering a prize of an all-expenses-paid trip to their home city of Berlin!

If you think that you might qualify - or know someone who deserves to win - get in touch by sending an email to [email protected]

Please also include:

As part of the judgment process, students will be required to have informal and fun conversations - via Skype - with Babbel team members who also speak their languages. So a conversational proficiency in each language is a must!

This sounds quite fun - I can't converse on calls in any language, but I like hearing about other language learners :lol:
How many languages is the minimum?
Reply 3
Original post by hootdoot04
How many languages is the minimum?

I doubt there's a specific minimum, since the winner will just be whoever speaks the most - the deadline is March 31st though so you could definitely learn a few more languages to conversational level in that time to give you an edge :tongue:
Original post by Interea
I doubt there's a specific minimum, since the winner will just be whoever speaks the most - the deadline is March 31st though so you could definitely learn a few more languages to conversational level in that time to give you an edge :tongue:

😉 quality over quantity
Reply 5
Original post by hootdoot04
😉 quality over quantity

I have a few semi-abandoned languages that probably wish I would follow that mantra :lol:
Reply 6
Original post by username11235813
I speak 5 fluently, but that's probably not enough?

Depends how many give it a go and what they're counting as "conversational" enough - you'd potentially get shortlisted for the fluency testing even if someone claimed to speak more. For example I have 1 fluent, 3 pretty solid, and then 3/4 that are borderline conversational, so who knows if they would define that as 4 or more.
Count me in
Tell me who do I email?
I'm a native speaker of 4 and am fluent in another 3 (all of which I have a degree in). Yet, I definitely don't think that would be enough for this. :lol: Best of luck to those who sign up. I wonder how many languages the winner will have under their belt. :holmes:
Original post by Quick-use
I'm a native speaker of 4 and am fluent in another 3 (all of which I have a degree in). Yet, I definitely don't think that would be enough for this. :lol: Best of luck to those who sign up. I wonder how many languages the winner will have under their belt. :holmes:

Wow! What are the languages out of curiosity?
Original post by tinygirl96
Count me in
Tell me who do I email?

Lol what languages do you speak!?
Can I participate? I speak roadman, brummie, black country, potteries, scouse, cockney, lester, geordie, scottish embra and glaswegian, I know some patois and some aussie... So rah let me in poshies!
Original post by lrs_b
Wow! What are the languages out of curiosity?

The languages I did my undergraduate degree in were French, Spanish and Japanese. :hat2:

I had studied French since Primary 6 and Spanish since the Scottish equivalent of GCSE.
The languages I did my undergraduate degree in were French, Spanish and Japanese. :hat2:

I had studied French since Primary 6 and Spanish since the Scottish equivalent of GCSE.

Oh cool, I'm doing my Advanced Higher French at the minute. I am impressed by all people that know more than 2 fluently, if I was studying/practicing more than I have now I think I would be mixing everything up in my head!
Original post by lrs_b
Oh cool, I'm doing my Advanced Higher French at the minute. I am impressed by all people that know more than 2 fluently, if I was studying/practicing more than I have now I think I would be mixing everything up in my head!

It's always so refreshing to find people on TSR taking an interest in my languages, because it never happens in real life. :lol: In any case, AH French is a really fun subject; I hope it's going well for you. Consider keeping up with French or beginning a different language once you finish school, either independently or through further education. Languages sincerely are rewarding and I don't know anyone who's ever regretted learning one. :hat2:
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Lol what languages do you speak!?

French
Original post by tinygirl96
French

That's not nearly enough but congrats on the French. I tried it a couple years ago but didn't have time anymore. 😔

why

jeez lolll
thats amazing

I would have applied but im 17 and idt they'd let me :frown:
I speak 2 fluently+english+ know some basic French and basic german
Reply 19
Original post by Evil Homer

Please also include:

Does it have to be a student my dad speaks 7 languages

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending