The Student Room Group

Did you know the Organ Donation Law has changed?

Poll

Did you know that the law around organ donation changed to an opt-out system?

Organ donation in the UK has changed - did you know? :holmes:

Everyone over the age of 18 is now considered to be a potential organ donor when they die, unless they’ve recorded a decision not to donate or are in one of the excluded groups. This is to allow more people to save more lives.

You still have a choice as to whether you wish to be an organ donor. Despite the system being opt-out, it is still vital that you register your decision on the Organ Donor Register and talk to your loved ones about your decision. This is because they will have the final say as to whether your organs can be donated when you die, so it is crucial that they know your wishes.

If you want to know a little more about the opt out system and how it works, take a look at this extract from the NHS website:

How does the opt out system work?
The opt out system means that all adults agree to become organ donors when they die, unless they have made it known that they do not wish to donate. If you have not recorded an organ donation decision and you are not in one of the excluded groups, it will be considered that you agree to donate your organs when you die. You may hear this system referred to as the opt out system, deemed consent, presumed consent or Max and Keira's Law. You can still choose whether or not you want to be an organ donor when you die by registering your decision and telling your family. Your faith, beliefs and culture will continue to be respected. Get the facts about organ donation to help you decide.

What do you think? Do you think this is the right step forward?

Let us know your thoughts!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think it’s a great idea!

I’m definitely going to be an organ donor and not opt out! I’m dead, I don’t need my organs lol. It might save someone’s life so of course!
I’m all for organ donation when I keel over so this makes it much easier for me

Organs be gone
Original post by baby.bear
I think it’s a great idea!

I’m definitely going to be an organ donor and not opt out! I’m dead, I don’t need my organs lol. It might save someone’s life so of course!

Seconded :yep:
It's a very sensible system
Long overdue.

Unfortunately none of my organs are allowed to be used.
Reply 6
Original post by DiddyDec
Long overdue.

Unfortunately none of my organs are allowed to be used.

:colonhash:
I don't support presumed consent and disagree with changing the organ donation system from opt in to opt out.
Reply 9
Original post by londonmyst
I don't support presumed consent and disagree with changing the organ donation system from opt in to opt out.

I used to hold the same opinion, but lets face it... if you was sitting there ill on a hospital ward being told that you have 1 week to live unless you get a new kidney i'd think you'd change your tune....
I thought it had changed a year or two ago? :hmmmm:
Original post by ANM775
I used to hold the same opinion, but lets face it... if you was sitting there ill on a hospital ward being told that you have 1 week to live unless you get a new kidney i'd think you'd change your tune....

No.
I avoid using the NHS whenever possible and wouldn't ask to be considered for a donated kidney transplant under any circumstances.
I wouldn't consider a blood transfusion either.
During the final decade of his life my late uncle had blood transfusions practically every three weeks, was dependent on high strength painkillers and suffering from chronic liver failure.
It changed quite a while ago! I am very much in favour. However, families still get the final say on whether or not their relatives organs can be used - I think that's right in the current set up but should not have been the case in the old set up when people actively signed to be donors....
Original post by black tea
It changed quite a while ago! I am very much in favour. However, families still get the final say on whether or not their relatives organs can be used - I think that's right in the current set up but should not have been the case in the old set up when people actively signed to be donors....

Do you believe that relatives should be over to overule where the deceased has left a will or other signed document stating their decision about posthumous organ donation and their reason for the decision?
Not in favour, I don't think things like this should automatically be counted as consent. If a person wants to donate, they would opt in.
@ruru06
I don't know about you, but I shall be keeping my organs.
Original post by londonmyst
Do you believe that relatives should be over to overule where the deceased has left a will or other signed document stating their decision about posthumous organ donation and their reason for the decision?

I don't think relatives should be allowed to overrule the deceased person's decision to donate or not donate their organs if they have explicitly made their wishes clear.
Original post by deadroseex
@ruru06
I don't know about you, but I shall be keeping my organs.

same whilst I'm alive but I wanna donate blood tho
Original post by ruru06
same whilst I'm alive but I wanna donate blood tho

We should go together one day and do it because I need to get over my fear of needles and I wanna help someone even before I become a paediatrician
Original post by deadroseex
We should go together one day and do it because I need to get over my fear of needles and I wanna help someone even before I become a paediatrician

Did you not get your school injections

Latest