The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
I'm really sure how a guy that drops acid is relevant, care you explain?

They're saying we should never provide medical assistance because someone might do a bad nono thing at some Marty McFly point in the future. It's OK to slap them.
Original post by StriderHort
They're saying we should never provide medical assistance because someone might do a bad nono thing at some Marty McFly point in the future. It's OK to slap them.

Right...
Right...

No, really. You can slap them.. I'll hold their arms behind their back for €0.00 (You need to be competitive in this time of crisis)
Reply 43
I'm really sure how a guy that drops acid is relevant, care you explain?

Quite possibly that thread.

(I hate the quote system on the app.)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Bio 7
Quite possibly that thread.

(I hate the quote system on the app.)

Don't worry about it, really not sure why you would use the app though.
Reply 45
Don't worry about it, really not sure why you would use the app though.

Easier for my phone but it's so annoying.
Reply 46
Yeah, why should we let more people die just because we're unsure what the dead guy would have said?
If they strongly don't want to, they'll opt out. If they just never thought about the possibility, of dying unexpectedly and having doctors cut them open.. well now they don't have to. That conversation no longer needs to happen until they're dead and don't need their organs.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 47
I signed up for my organs to be donated before the opt out system was implemented, and I think this will help ensure that waiting times for organ transplants will decrease. I have warmly welcomed this change ever since it was announced.

That said, I think we should respect people's wishes to opt out if that is what they choose. The wishes of the dead in regards to what happens to their belongings is taken seriously in all other contexts, even if it may seem ridiculous to us. For example, if a man with terminal cancer felt that his Bentley ought to be buried alongside him upon his death, as stupid and wasteful as it would be, it is still his decision to make.
Reply 48
Original post by Mikos
I signed up for my organs to be donated before the opt out system was implemented, and I think this will help ensure that waiting times for organ transplants will decrease. I have warmly welcomed this change ever since it was announced.

That said, I think we should respect people's wishes to opt out if that is what they choose. The wishes of the dead in regards to what happens to their belongings is taken seriously in all other contexts, even if it may seem ridiculous to us. For example, if a man with terminal cancer felt that his Bentley ought to be buried alongside him upon his death, as stupid and wasteful as it would be, it is still his decision to make.

I disagree. Why should he have the right to take resources from the living? He doesn't need them anymore. Lie to him if you have to, but once he's dead, he won't know either way. That's why I think the new system is better, as it spares people from having to think about what happens to their stuff after they are dead.
When they're gone, their belongings should be put to good use. I also think they shouldn't necessarily have a right to even leave everything behind to their kids, as this just reinforces rich bloodlines.
I get that some people have religious objections to organ donation, but I still feel like the doctors should be able to override that if someone's life is in immediate danger (or if the lack of an organ is leaving them in a crippling condition that is extremely lowering their standard of living).
Original post by black tea
I don't think relatives should be allowed to overrule the deceased person's decision to donate or not donate their organs if they have explicitly made their wishes clear.

Agree wholeheartedly. My husband's pre-marriage will explicitly wrote his Mum out of it if she refused to allow his organs to be used.
Original post by Compost
Agree wholeheartedly. My husband's pre-marriage will explicitly wrote his Mum out of it if she refused to allow his organs to be used.

Good idea. Considering that there is such a small number of situations when someone actually can donate their organs, it seems like such a shame for a family to say no when their relative wanted to be a donor.
Reply 51
Original post by Zuvio
I disagree. Why should he have the right to take resources from the living? He doesn't need them anymore. Lie to him if you have to, but once he's dead, he won't know either way. That's why I think the new system is better, as it spares people from having to think about what happens to their stuff after they are dead.
When they're gone, their belongings should be put to good use. I also think they shouldn't necessarily have a right to even leave everything behind to their kids, as this just reinforces rich bloodlines.
I get that some people have religious objections to organ donation, but I still feel like the doctors should be able to override that if someone's life is in immediate danger (or if the lack of an organ is leaving them in a crippling condition that is extremely lowering their standard of living).

I see your point but I think this is a total violation of personal autonomy. I also don’t think they’re “taking” resources- these belonged to them to begin with. If anything, wider society would be taking from them in a case like this. Ownership of something gives you autonomy over it, and this should be respected where the property of the dead is concerned imo
Reply 52
They're dead, they have no property. And just because the law, or the dictionary, or whatever says something, doesn't mean that's how it should be. Those things are written by people who can be biased just as much as the posts on here.

Original post by Mikos
I see your point but I think this is a total violation of personal autonomy. I also don’t think they’re “taking” resources- these belonged to them to begin with. If anything, wider society would be taking from them in a case like this. Ownership of something gives you autonomy over it, and this should be respected where the property of the dead is concerned imo

Just because you own something doesn't mean you can do what you want with it. Ownership of something gives you the right to use it to improve your life. It does not give you the right to waste resources that you no longer have any use for, when others are living **** lives and dying without them. That's just spiteful.
I thought this changed years ago :s-smilie:

I agree with it, though ideally I'd make everyone actively choose one way or another. Make them think about it properly.
I was going to be an organ donor anyway, so it's a welcomed change.
Reply 55
Original post by ThomH97
I thought this changed years ago :s-smilie:

I agree with it, though ideally I'd make everyone actively choose one way or another. Make them think about it properly.

Why should they need to think about it properly? Unless they are actively against it, there's no reason to have the unpleasant discussion of "Just so we know, if you suddenly die unexpectedly, is it alright if we pull some pieces out of your corpse?"
I opted out a year ago :biggrin:

I feel like the government are keeping really quite about this and not many people are even made aware of this change which i think is wrong and seems doody to me. There needs to be national campaign to make people aware.
What happened to consent?
Original post by Mr T 999
I feel like the government are keeping really quite about this

it was all over the news that it was going to happen!
Reply 59
Original post by Satanic666
What happened to consent?

A corpse is an inanimate object, part of which may save someone's life. What does the opinion of the person who used to inhabit it matter?

Latest