The Student Room Group

Doing a physics A-level without maths aswell

I know this question has probably been asked a million times. But should I do a physics A-level without also picking A-level maths? I'm currently doing a triple science GCSE, and I find all maths associated with any of the sciences easy. However when it comes to some stuff in GCSE maths I'm not the best. I feel like if I do A-level maths I would be in over my head. In sciences you use equations, maths like trigonometry and similar things, all things I find easy. But what extra stuff do you do at A-level that you would find difficult without doing A-level maths. I'm also picking chemistry, does the same apply?
What's your (current) GCSE maths grade? Unless you specifically struggle with maths you'll be fine, particularly algebra and trigonometry. A lot more rearranging equations, solving a few quadratics/trig equations - there'll be some logarithms but those are in chemistry too. There is very little in A-level physics beyond GCSE maths.
Original post by _gcx
What's your (current) GCSE maths grade? Unless you specifically struggle with maths you'll be fine, particularly algebra and trigonometry. A lot more rearranging equations, solving a few quadratics/trig equations - there'll be some logarithms but those are in chemistry too. There is very little in A-level physics beyond GCSE maths.

Well from what you have just said. I am good at equations, I am good at algebra, it does sometimes take a little while to get my head round it but once I understand it it's okay. But yeah I think I'd just do extra maths work on the side.
Don't take this the wrong way but what is everyone else in the class getting, as an average?
Hmmm. I've just started looking at other discussions. It just seems to vary a lot
fwiw I started on low Cs/Ds in A-level physics but ended up with an A*, early grades don't really mean too much.
Reply 6
i think taking maths just makes things easier or me to understand content in year 2, but as long as you’re good with algebra and rearranging equations then you’re not at that much of a disadvantage. the same applies to chemistry in my opinion
Reply 7
Original post by Reginald2004
Hmmm. I've just started looking at other discussions. It just seems to vary a lot

You'll be fine for chemistry, but the maths content in A Level physics is a lot greater than in the GCSE. But if A Level is as far as you want to go, and you're fine with potentially having to learn a bit of maths on the side independently, you'll be fine.
If you want to take physics past A Level, you'll definitely want maths. It's required for most degrees. My physics teacher directed us to a physics club, but he only told those of us doing further maths, as it would have been too advanced even for those doing regular maths.
Reply 8
No offence, but it sounds like you made a bad subject choice, and this really doesn't represent the subject.
Reply 9
What other subject did you change?
(anyway, this does back up my statement that you chose badly)
Reply 10
Maybe you shouldn't have gone for A Levels?

Quick Reply

Latest