The Student Room Group

Would this woman be guilty of murder?

Say if a woman, of small stature, lived alone. She was upstairs and suddenly someone broke into her house and was making their way upstairs. She saw that they had a knife so she picked up an object and hit them over the head. The injury resulted in death. The knife turned out to be a normal cutlery knife which the burglar had grabbed.

Would the woman be found guilty of murder? Or would it be classed as self defence?
Probably self defence.
Reply 2
Why do people try and judge the intentions of a post rather than just answering. Could be various reasons. It didn’t happen. Truth is simple curiosity.
Original post by Anonymous
Why do people try and judge the intentions of a post rather than just answering. Could be various reasons. It didn’t happen. Truth is simple curiosity.

Because you are hiding behind anon which makes you automatically suspicious.
Reply 4
Original post by DiddyDec
Because you are hiding behind anon which makes you automatically suspicious.

If I was really dodgy it’s not like I’d spill the truth by being questioned on here anyway though is it.
If I was really dodgy it’s not like I’d spill the truth by being questioned on here anyway though is it.

Given some of the things I have seen on here, nothing would surprise me.
Reply 6
Say if a woman, of small stature, lived alone. She was upstairs and suddenly someone broke into her house and was making their way upstairs. She saw that they had a knife so she picked up an object and hit them over the head. The injury resulted in death. The knife turned out to be a normal cutlery knife which the burglar had grabbed.

Would the woman be found guilty of murder? Or would it be classed as self defence?

you would think self defence, but you never know these days..
Reply 7
bad 80s film plot
Reply 8
Interesting hobby, cant say Ive ever met someone who makes up gruesome stories and ponders over the legality of the matter to pass time.
Reply 9
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Interesting hobby, cant say Ive ever met someone who makes up gruesome stories and ponders over the legality of the matter to pass time.

Peter Singer, but this not he (probably...)
Reply 10
how would anyone know but a judge?
Nah, she'd probably be fine. Self defence is based on the honestly held belief of the person of what they're experiencing, regardless of whether that belief is accurate, and whether the force she has used is reasonable and proportionate.

Her honestly held belief was that her life was in danger and that she had to protect herself.

Her honestly held belief was that the intruder was going to kill her, so she responded reasonably by using the same/proportionate level of force by hitting him over the head.

However, had once she had hit the intruder over the head and they were unconscious, had she continued to repeatedly hit him over the head and smash his skull in until he died, then it's more likely it would be murder, because she no longer would have been acting in self defence. (Because it's not self defence once they're unconscious)
(edited 3 years ago)
she's a criminal now , hopefully she gets a nice cell next to the rest of the murderers

Spoiler

Reply 13
Is this an exam question or random lol. Anyways I’m sure it’d be classed as self defence, unless she repeatedly hit him despite being unconscious, then you’d have to question the intent involved.
Manslaughter, not murder
Original post by black tea
Manslaughter, not murder

Could be a lawful killing.

Quick Reply