The Student Room Group

Very harsh teaching in lessons

My Chemistry teacher always asks us to balance equations by ourselves but not copying out the balanced equation on its own.
My teachers all ask us to do classwork without looking at the textbook.
Is this good?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, it’s teaching you how to balance equations:an integral part of learning/understanding and calculating in chemistry...
I think no (for the without looking at the textbook)

I always bring my text book in lesson, in case the teacher is either a) going too slow or b) I’m behind in the lesson due to not listening.
Original post by 8013
My Chemistry teacher always asks us to balance equations by ourselves but not copying out the balanced equation on its own.
Is this good?

Doing classwork without the book might be a bit ambitious since you wouldn't be familiar with the content at all at that point, but balancing equations is very standard and ideally you should be able to do it with your eyes closed
Reply 4
16084520410548496770763008886050.jpg
I am in an Asian community. This is an example of how harsh our learning is. This person, in Year 3, is given a B- for bad handwriting.
16084521435523621728461851682122.jpg
And also this for a Year 1!
Reply 5
We are also marked down by 2-3 grades on each test or exam. We have lifted the bar for A grades, and it is equivalent to a standard higher than A* externally. If you miss just one single word from a suggested answer on a mark scheme for a 3-4 marker, you will not get any marks for that question.
This is totally insane, and like 95% of people in my school are under predicted.
Original post by 8013
We are also marked down by 2-3 grades on each test or exam. We have lifted the bar for A grades, and it is equivalent to a standard higher than A* externally. If you miss just one single word from a suggested answer on a mark scheme for a 3-4 marker, you will not get any marks for that question.
This is totally insane, and like 95% of people in my school are under predicted.

Gosh what school is that...I wouldn't say my school over predicts, but people who get like 75% in chemistry tests (or even lower) get predicted A*, although they may have got better marks in last year's finals before the predicted grades were done.
The lowest grade our class got in chemistry was a B I think, and not many got it, but there are probably at least 2 who got below 40% in the chemistry unit 4 tests, and no she doesn't mark harshly at all. She says what you said about the DSE, but for us she seems to be aware the mark schemes are nice and gives us the marks anyway
Reply 7
Original post by *****deadness
Gosh what school is that...I wouldn't say my school over predicts, but people who get like 75% in chemistry tests (or even lower) get predicted A*, although they may have got better marks in last year's finals before the predicted grades were done.
The lowest grade our class got in chemistry was a B I think, and not many got it, but there are probably at least 2 who got below 40% in the chemistry unit 4 tests, and no she doesn't mark harshly at all. She says what you said about the DSE, but for us she seems to be aware the mark schemes are nice and gives us the marks anyway

Half of the class got predicted D/E in Chemistry. That is insane.
Original post by 8013
Half of the class got predicted D/E in Chemistry. That is insane.

Jesus that's bad. No one got below a B here I don't think, and at schools like convent for girls I heard almost everyone got 90% for their calculated grades
Reply 9

That's also the case for DSE in my school, which a lot of past graduates have to use up all of their 5 quotas to change choices for JUPAS. Those people all score much higher than predicted.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
I'd usually expect some level of modelling or scaffolding to be present (needn't be much!), seems unnecessarily difficult to me
Original post by 8013
That's also the case for DSE in my school, which a lot of past graduates have to use up all of their 5 quotas to change choices for JUPAS. Those people all score much higher than predicted.

Urghh, which universities are you applying for then? I'd be really stressed out whether I should apply to anywhere that requires grades I'd actually get in the real thing if I was predicted like a couple grades lower
Original post by 8013
Is this good?

Yes, that's how you learn, by forcing your brain to do the work. Anybody can copy equations from the textbook, that's not a challenge.
Original post by 8013
16084520410548496770763008886050.jpg
I am in an Asian community. This is an example of how harsh our learning is. This person, in Year 3, is given a B- for bad handwriting.
16084521435523621728461851682122.jpg
And also this for a Year 1!

That's not harsh insomuch as it's treating convention/preference as cold fact - which is misleading and borders on being incorrect. (the right line in a typeset y will be straight but handwritten it'll naturally curve as written there)
Reply 14
Urghh, which universities are you applying for then? I'd be really stressed out whether I should apply to anywhere that requires grades I'd actually get in the real thing if I was predicted like a couple grades lower

I had submitted my UCAS and got two AAA offers with A*AAA predicted. I also got an HKU offer, and the other three UCAS and three Non Jupas choices haven't come back to me.
Reply 15
Original post by gjd800
I'd usually expect some level of modelling or scaffolding to be present (needn't be much!), seems unnecessarily difficult to me

Wait until Jan 13, and you will all be silent when our October results come out.
I think that there will be at least one paper with 100% of us getting an A. And overall, I think at least 75% of our unit grades will be As.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by 8013
Wait until Jan 13, and you will all be silent when our October results come out.
I think that there will be at least one paper with 100% of us getting an A.

i literally won't give a shite, mate

i don't teach this so i don't care how yous do
Reply 17
Original post by gjd800
i literally won't give a shite, mate

i don't teach this so i don't care how yous do

I found a mark scheme of one of my exams and found that I am quite likely to get 100% UMS (I was only one mark off a perfect score)
And I was rewarded with a 7-0 win.
On the week after I failed my test on entropy in Chemistry, Liverpool lost 7-2. I feel some correlation between my test scores and Liverpool's results.
I think the class will all silent the teachers when our results come out as the number of As will be 3x the number predicted by teachers.
Reply 18
Original post by 8013
I found a mark scheme of one of my exams and found that I am quite likely to get 100% UMS (I was only one mark off a perfect score)
And I was rewarded with a 7-0 win.
On the week after I failed my test on entropy in Chemistry, Liverpool lost 7-2. I feel some correlation between my test scores and Liverpool's results.
I think the class will all silent the teachers when our results come out as the number of As will be 3x the number predicted by teachers.

i don't care
Original post by gjd800
i don't care

Uhhh, they never asked you to? You can be somewhere else if you want to you know

Quick Reply