The Student Room Group

Phrases to learn for my GCSE Spanish writing? Grade 9 if possible?

I am a student in Year 10, with my Spanish writing assessment soon!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did my gcse this summer in year 10 also and i got a grade 9, i felt that learning lots of time markers, ademas, mientras tanto etc stuff that isnt classified as 'generic' if you know what i mean helps a lot, and constant stating of opinion. I found that also stating the opinion of others really helps bring up grades in speaking and writing, like: me encanta escuchar de musica, pero desafortunamente mi hermano mayor odia mi tipo favorito asi que no nos llevamos bien. I also think that to get the best grades you are better off learning certain sentences for each tense, and for ones considered more challenging than troubling yourself to learn to completely conjugate for each pronoun (even though it can be more useful, memorising phrases is a time saver). This could be learning the conditional, instead of me gustaria, maybe use iria (i would go) or seria (i would be), and possibly the imperfect (with the aba endings) to say what you used to do instead of plain preterite. I'd say to get high grades you must use minimum 3 tenses in your writing, that are non conventional and can show off your skill- use simple future instead of voy a, use imperfect alongside preterite and say what you would like to do tomorrow next year whatever. I also reccomend evaluating in your writing like using lo peor es que (the worst thing is that) and lo mejor es que (the best thing is that) or switch es to fue for past tense.

Hope this helped and good luck :smile:
Original post by b-elle
i did my gcse this summer in year 10 also and i got a grade 9, i felt that learning lots of time markers, ademas, mientras tanto etc stuff that isnt classified as 'generic' if you know what i mean helps a lot, and constant stating of opinion. I found that also stating the opinion of others really helps bring up grades in speaking and writing, like: Me encanta escuchar de musica, pero desafortunamente mi hermano mayor odia mi tipo favorito asi que no nos llevamos bien. I also think that to get the best grades you are better off learning certain sentences for each tense, and for ones considered more challenging than troubling yourself to learn to completely conjugate for each pronoun (even though it can be more useful, memorising phrases is a time saver). This could be learning the conditional, instead of me gustaria, maybe use iria (i would go) or seria (i would be), and possibly the imperfect (with the aba endings) to say what you used to do instead of plain preterite. I'd say to get high grades you must use minimum 3 tenses in your writing, that are non conventional and can show off your skill- use simple future instead of voy a, use imperfect alongside preterite and say what you would like to do tomorrow next year whatever. I also reccomend evaluating in your writing like using lo peor es que (the worst thing is that) and lo mejor es que (the best thing is that) or switch es to fue for past tense.

you are a legend!!!
Original post by B-elle
I did my gcse this summer in year 10 also and i got a grade 9, i felt that learning lots of time markers, ademas, mientras tanto etc stuff that isnt classified as 'generic' if you know what i mean helps a lot, and constant stating of opinion. I found that also stating the opinion of others really helps bring up grades in speaking and writing, like: me encanta escuchar de musica, pero desafortunamente mi hermano mayor odia mi tipo favorito asi que no nos llevamos bien. I also think that to get the best grades you are better off learning certain sentences for each tense, and for ones considered more challenging than troubling yourself to learn to completely conjugate for each pronoun (even though it can be more useful, memorising phrases is a time saver). This could be learning the conditional, instead of me gustaria, maybe use iria (i would go) or seria (i would be), and possibly the imperfect (with the aba endings) to say what you used to do instead of plain preterite. I'd say to get high grades you must use minimum 3 tenses in your writing, that are non conventional and can show off your skill- use simple future instead of voy a, use imperfect alongside preterite and say what you would like to do tomorrow next year whatever. I also reccomend evaluating in your writing like using lo peor es que (the worst thing is that) and lo mejor es que (the best thing is that) or switch es to fue for past tense.

What revision resources would you recommend for Spanish?
Reply 4
Original post by TahrianAhmed
What revision resources would you recommend for Spanish?

languages online are really good for learning tenses, quizlet is also great for learning vocab for each module/unit, and spanish dict is good for translating any unknown phrases that you can then reuse, and WAY more accurate than google translate. I also stole phrases, vocab, and sentence starters from model answers that our teachers gave us but im sure you can find lots online according to your exam board and their requirements. If you have a textbook for spanish that your school uses its worthwhile to do all the tasks in it and also complete any practise papers and ask your teacher to mark and give feedback on them to know what to improve on and to correct any problems with fluidity, ambiguity or grammatical errors in your writing (just overall making sure that what you write makes sense tbh, because they are the biggest factors in lowering your grade. You're more likely to get a higher grade using less sophisticated language that is fluid and clear than using more sophisticated language and techniques incorrectly)
Thanks for the advice! I greatly appreciate it!
Original post by B-elle

Thank you so much!!!! I did great in my exam, achieving a grade 9 and only losing 1 mark!!! There is no way for me to express how grateful I am!!!
Reply 7
Thank you so much!!!! I did great in my exam, achieving a grade 9 and only losing 1 mark!!! There is no way for me to express how grateful I am!!!

Wow that's absolutely amazing well done!!!!!!!!!!! I'm very glad to know i helped so feel free to ask about anything else that you need help on in the future :smile:
Original post by B-elle
Wow that's absolutely amazing well done!!!!!!!!!!! I'm very glad to know i helped so feel free to ask about anything else that you need help on in the future :smile:

Is there any way I can contact you other than TSR for Spanish? Maybe email? Thank you for your help again!
Reply 9
Is there any way I can contact you other than TSR for Spanish? Maybe email? Thank you for your help again!

you could private message me on TSR if you'd like, i come on here quite often so i would try and repond to you asap :smile:
Original post by B-elle
you could private message me on TSR if you'd like, i come on here quite often so i would try and repond to you asap :smile:

Thanks you!
Original post by B-elle

Hi B-elle, our Spanish class is starting conversation question. Would you say these are Important and should we memorise these?
Reply 12
what do you mean conversation question? as in general conversation? i think we did different exam boards so its called different things, please could you explain what it is :smile:
Original post by B-elle
what do you mean conversation question? as in general conversation? i think we did different exam boards so its called different things, please could you explain what it is :smile:

Ohh, our senorita calls it conversation questions, but on the sheet it says general conversation. I do AQA. For example the first question is "Describe a un buen amigo tuyo/una buena amiga tuya."
Reply 14
Ohh okay I did aqa too. I just learned every answer for each question in the 3 themes in case it came up and we had a booklet where we’d write our answers then our teacher would mark it and give corrections then we’d write it again. I had like about 3 drafts for each question then I wrote all my answers on a flash card and learnt them. I would say that general conversation is quite important since it accounts for quite a lot of the speaking grade, and I’d just learn an answer for each question in each theme so you don’t waste time thinking in the exam. I think there are about 9 in each theme? So yeah that’s my advice for that. I’m not sure if the gcse has changed since i did it, but for your chosen theme (for example I chose theme 1) I’d definitely learn them off by heart so you at least are confident in that if you make a mistake in the surprise theme :smile:
Original post by B-elle
Ohh okay I did aqa too. I just learned every answer for each question in the 3 themes in case it came up and we had a booklet where we’d write our answers then our teacher would mark it and give corrections then we’d write it again. I had like about 3 drafts for each question then I wrote all my answers on a flash card and learnt them. I would say that general conversation is quite important since it accounts for quite a lot of the speaking grade, and I’d just learn an answer for each question in each theme so you don’t waste time thinking in the exam. I think there are about 9 in each theme? So yeah that’s my advice for that. I’m not sure if the gcse has changed since i did it, but for your chosen theme (for example I chose theme 1) I’d definitely learn them off by heart so you at least are confident in that if you make a mistake in the surprise theme :smile:

Thanks! I think our school is doing something similar we got a booklet to complete through the holidays, did you do VIVA? What happens in the exams? Thanks for your help! You are amazing completing the GCSE in yr 10 and getting a 9! I wish I was as Spanish smart as you lol.
Reply 16
hahah no i wasn’t expecting a 9 tbh and i was getting 6s in the writing in the first mocks so it did not come easy trust me. in my speaking we had 5 mins prep time with no notes at all to plan out our photo card and wrote down phrases that would help in the role play questions. then my teacher asked me about my photo card and all the questions on the role play. the role play is about 3 mins and the photo card was also very short. then the general conversation was about 7 mins i can’t remember that well but the whole thing was no longer than 15 mins i think. i did do viva yh, idk if u have the active teach website that comes with the textbook but i’d do the speakings on there to help with pronunciation :smile:
always happy to help !
what i did to boost my grade was to start to learn the tenses. I now use preterite, imperfect, perfect, pluperfect, present, present infinitive, present doing, future, subjunctive and conditional. Getting used to these isnt very difficult and then start to learn phrases with them e.g. for subjuctive: cuando sea mayor for perfect: siempre he querido
Original post by B-elle
hahah no i wasn’t expecting a 9 tbh and i was getting 6s in the writing in the first mocks so it did not come easy trust me. in my speaking we had 5 mins prep time with no notes at all to plan out our photo card and wrote down phrases that would help in the role play questions. then my teacher asked me about my photo card and all the questions on the role play. the role play is about 3 mins and the photo card was also very short. then the general conversation was about 7 mins i can’t remember that well but the whole thing was no longer than 15 mins i think. i did do viva yh, idk if u have the active teach website that comes with the textbook but i’d do the speakings on there to help with pronunciation :smile:
always happy to help !

Hi belle, Y11 mocks coming up- any last minute advice. Thanks for your help previously, my Spanish is going great- still struggling on general convo and writing tho :smile:
what grade did you get un ur gcses omg?? mine are this year

Quick Reply

Latest