The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zuvio
A corpse is an inanimate object, part of which may save someone's life. What does the opinion of the person who used to inhabit it matter?

Not everyone believes that though. I believe it still has soul.
Original post by Zuvio
Why should they need to think about it properly? Unless they are actively against it, there's no reason to have the unpleasant discussion of "Just so we know, if you suddenly die unexpectedly, is it alright if we pull some pieces out of your corpse?"

People should think about everything properly. That includes helping others and what happens when they die.
Original post by baby.bear
damn i didn’t realise so many people were against this?

once you’re dead, you’re dead. i wouldn’t need my organs as a corpse so they might as well go to someone who does need them?

im really unsure why people would be against it? am i missing something obvious? i get that everyone will feel differently and have their own views but i didn’t realise quite so many people didn’t like this idea??

I really don't like the idea that I have no say in who can get my organs once I'm gone.
Doctors usually prioritize younger patients over older ones and it gives them the power over life and death, of which I'm not comfortable with. I think it should be "first come first served".
I also don't want men to receive my organs, because many of them have already unfairly benefited of my existence (unpaid work, stolen ideas), and I don't want them to take advantage of my death as well. Yeah, I'm sexist like that.
Reply 63
Original post by Ne en mia nomo
I really don't like the idea that I have no say in who can get my organs once I'm gone.
Doctors usually prioritize younger patients over older ones and it gives them the power over life and death, of which I'm not comfortable with. I think it should be "first come first served".
I also don't want men to receive my organs, because many of them have already unfairly benefited of my existence (unpaid work, stolen ideas), and I don't want them to take advantage of my death as well. Yeah, I'm sexist like that.

So, to be clear, you're not against them taking organs, you just think everyone should choose who'll get them?
Anyway, research shows that organ transplants from women to women are more likely to be successful than from women to men, so it is likely they would give your organs to another woman anyway.
You think that an old person should get a few more years while a child is left to die just because they got there 5 minutes later? Younger people reap more benefits, and are also more likely to adapt to the new organ. Doctors go with them so as not to waste valuable organs. And of course they have power over who lives and dies, but it is mostly abiding by legal regulations rather than their own personal wishes.
If you've been unpaid for work, that is not the responsibility of all men, only the ones who screwed you over. How many people can possibly have stolen valuable ideas from you? Take some responsibility for your own failure, rather than blaming it on half the planet.
Original post by ThomH97
People should think about everything properly. That includes helping others and what happens when they die.

You know that most people who die are either old, or in accidents, meaning that their organs are unusable anyway. It would be a real waste of time for everyone to devote time to a decision that will never matter, and they will definitely never know the outcome of. Plus, most people are stupid, so if you get them to think about it, they'll probably freak out and say no. They are incapable of actually understanding the ramifications of their actions.
Original post by Anonymous
it was all over the news that it was going to happen!

There needs to be adverts and billboards promoting awareness.

This is one of the most ****ed things I have heard in a long time.
Reply 66
Original post by DiddyDec

Agreed

You must live a very sheltered life.
You must live a very sheltered life.

No,
Original post by Zuvio

If you've been unpaid for work, that is not the responsibility of all men, only the ones who screwed you over. How many people can possibly have stolen valuable ideas from you? Take some responsibility for your own failure, rather than blaming it on half the planet.

It started in nursery, when I wasn't allowed to play with certain toys, because "that's for the boys" - how was I supposed to take responsibility for my own failure at that age?
If you've been conditioned in your whole life that the needs of the other sex are more important than yours, you will learn to hate their members.
Blame society for that, not me.
It started in nursery, when I wasn't allowed to play with certain toys, because "that's for the boys" - how was I supposed to take responsibility for my own failure at that age?
If you've been conditioned in your whole life that the needs of the other sex are more important than yours, you will learn to hate their members.

Only you are responsible for your own hatred.
Only you are responsible for your own hatred.

And it's a rational response to all the inequality I endured & witnessed.
In practical terms, I don't care. I don't mind being an organ donor and haven't opted out, and suspect this is a common view. As a matter of principle however, I'm not entirely sure if presumed consent is really consent at all.
And it's a rational response to all the inequality I endured & witnessed.

You are attempting to justify the unjustifiable. You hate all men based the actions of few.

Would you extend these prejudices race, religion or sexual identity? Would you ever call racism a ration response?
You are attempting to justify the unjustifiable. You hate all men based the actions of few.

Would you extend these prejudices race, religion or sexual identity? Would you ever call racism a ration response?

I do not 'hate all men', I especially want to help women, because they're disadvantaged in their whole lives, and I would like to tip the balance slightly to their side.
There are many schemes set up to help disadvantaged groups; care leavers, disabled people, WOMEN etc; are scholarships for BAME people racist?
I do not 'hate all men', I especially want to help women, because they're disadvantaged in their whole lives, and I would like to tip the balance slightly to their side.
There are many schemes set up to help disadvantaged groups; care leavers, disabled people, WOMEN etc; are scholarships for BAME people racist?

You are have already called yourself a sexist. So would you support racism?

Would you find it acceptable for someone to say they don't want their organs going to a black person?

That is one of the weirdest and most ridiculous reasons to opt out. I guess agree to disagree but seriously?

I’m a woman. I have experienced similar things to you, yet I’m mature enough not to hate a whole gender for it. You just seem to be biased and sexist. Try to justify it all you want, but we all know you can’t.
Reply 78
It started in nursery, when I wasn't allowed to play with certain toys, because "that's for the boys"

I agree that this is wrong, and that you shouldn't have to act a certain way just because of your gender, but I feel like the same thing would have happened if a boy tried to play with a barbie or something- they'd have said "that's for girls".
It isn't prioritising one gender over the other, it is placing judgemental restrictions on both.
(edited 3 years ago)
They can have my organs if they really want them.

It’s highly unlikely to be used as a donor anyway as you have to die in a particular way and the vast majority of us won’t do that.

Latest