The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Aston university- Optometry lectures

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aiesha6
Hey did you hear back I didn’t get into my firm or insurance so aston offered the foundation programme in sciences: biosciences and pharmacy. What’s the pass rate/guarantee you’ll get onto your course degree that you wanted

Congratulations on your offer btw!
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by Student8965
The pass rate is pretty high and if you get the required grades you are 100% garunteed a place on your chosen degree the following year. It will be much easier for you if you have studied A level subjects like bio/chem/maths youl find the year much easier, not necessary to have studied all but atleast one. Just makes life easier. Let me know if you have any More questions.

Yeah I studied biology chemistry and geography but missed it by one grade so they offered that programme, is there any chance of my getting on the proper course and not the foundation?

How many students is there roughly on the programme?
Reply 42
Congratulations on your offer btw!

Thankyou! Proper gutted I didn’t get into my degree course but it is what it is
Hi, is there any Optometry students for this September ?
The pass rate is pretty high and if you get the required grades you are 100% garunteed a place on your chosen degree the following year. It will be much easier for you if you have studied A level subjects like bio/chem/maths youl find the year much easier, not necessary to have studied all but atleast one. Just makes life easier. Let me know if you have any More questions.

by "required grades" do you mean entry requirements ? :smile:
Original post by sunshine34
by "required grades" do you mean entry requirements ? :smile:

Kind of, i mean the grades in your modules that you need to progress onto your chosen course
Original post by Gtsdfv543578
Hi, is there any Optometry students for this September ?

Mee!!! So excited

Original post by Aiesha6
Thankyou! Proper gutted I didn’t get into my degree course but it is what it is

Honestly i think its for the best, youl get a feel of uni life, sort of practice before you start an intense course. Gives you a chance to make mistakes
Kind of, i mean the grades in your modules that you need to progress onto your chosen course

What's the pass mark?
What's the pass mark?

Depends on what course you’re doing, can pass at 40 but you need 60 to move on. So basically 60. For optom
Depends on what course you’re doing, can pass at 40 but you need 60 to move on. So basically 60. For optom

60%?
60%?

Yes 60% for most core modules. For optom. Pharmacy and bio meds different
I just read this thread now, I am actually interested in studying optometry too however I take psychology biology and sociology. If you don’t mind me asking what other courses did you apply for?
Hi, I just read this thread now. I take the same subjects for alevels and I am looking to optom but because I don’t have 2 solid sciences I must do a foundation year. If you don’t mind me asking what other places did u apply to. Sorry for asking too much😅
Hi, thank you! The grades were good but I didnt have 2 solid sciences. I studied psychology biology and sociology. So in order to progress to Optometry I had to choose the foundation route, however I am glad I did it, it gives you a chance to get used to uni life and the grading/assessment system.
(Original post by Sbegum450)I just read this thread now, I am actually interested in studying optometry too however I take psychology biology and sociology. If you don’t mind me asking what other courses did you apply for?

Hi, I studied the same as you. I only applied for optom everywhere, some accepted me directly into optom like Plymouth and cardiff but it was too far for me (didnt want to move out) so i chose to do a foundation year at aston! Hope this helps
Hi there, thank you so much for replying to me! What does Aston uni require if you don’t mind me asking?
If you find your courses hard and need help from tutor, you can definitely contact me for free.
Hi there, thank you so much for replying to me! What does Aston uni require if you don’t mind me asking? I also don’t want to go to a uni that’s quite far away, 😅 are there any other unis that offers optom foundation or optom with my subjects 😢 I really would love to study optometry!
(Original post by Sbegum450)I just read this thread now, I am actually interested in studying optometry too however I take psychology biology and sociology. If you don’t mind me asking what other courses did you apply for?

Hi, I studied the same as you. I only applied for optom everywhere, some accepted me directly into optom like Plymouth and cardiff but it was too far for me (didnt want to move out) so i chose to do a foundation year at aston! Hope this helps
Original post by Sbegum450
Hi there, thank you so much for replying to me! What does Aston uni require if you don’t mind me asking?

Hi, Im not sure what the entry requirements are now but they were BBB minimum for the foundation year
Reply 58
The foundation programme is for a range of routes such as bio med, pharmacy optom etc. Each route has specific module requirements. There are 4 core modules everyone must do and 4 “optional” modules. I say “optional” because each route requires certain modules.
For Optometry:
1) senses and perception/
Most related to Optometry, about the eyes, ears, balance
2) human anatomy and physiology/
Mainly biology, how the lungs work, digestion etc
3) professional skills/ mainly employment/ communication skills
4)Psychology/ infant behaviour, child development
5) Maths/ alevel maths, algebra etc
6) physics, light, refractions etc
7) identities and inequality, sociology
8) biology, a level biology
I genuinely enjoyed the modules I did, definitely feel prepared.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions about specifics.

Hi I’m just curious, you still have to do modules like psychology and sociology even if you’re not progressing onto a psychology degree ?

Also for the math and biology- is it hard for someone who hasn’t done math or science since gcse or is it easier than a level maths/science ? Thank you
Original post by Lush284
Hi I’m just curious, you still have to do modules like psychology and sociology even if you’re not progressing onto a psychology degree ?

Also for the math and biology- is it hard for someone who hasn’t done math or science since gcse or is it easier than a level maths/science ? Thank you

Hi there,

Just to answer your first question, the Foundation Programme in Science: Health Science will help you develop the skills and knowledge needed to progress onto an audiology, optometry or psychology degree at Aston University.

The core modules for this programme include:

- Biological and Biochemical Science
- Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Mathematics for Health Scientists
- Professional Skills
- Developmental Psychology
- Physics for Health Scientists
- Senses and Perception

The optional modules for this are:

- Identities and Inequalities
- Introductory Marketing

However, the availability of any optional modules will be subject to staff availability and a minimum number of students who express an interest in studying the optional modules.

You would have to do them all if you wanted to get in to study audiology, optometry or psychology through the programme. The discerning factor would be your grades in these modules. On successful completion of this programme, you’ll have guaranteed progression onto one of the health sciences courses subject to qualifications, performance and progression pathway. You can find the progression requirements here https://www2.aston.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/lhs/progression-criteria .

Hope this has helped

*Ethel

Quick Reply

Latest