The Student Room Group

ADHD and accounting

I had tried accounting a lot, but could not study it. I barely passed in O Level accounting and when I started A-Levels, I had to skip accounting as no matter how hard I tried, I could not understand a concept entirely as I used to start thinking about a topic in so depth that I could not grasp the basics and would start thinking of other topics that could be related to the topic at hand. I recently came to know about ADHD and consulted a psychiatrist and turns out I was correct.
Now that I am in university, accounting is compulsory. I personally love accounting, but I can't understand it and say, if I understand a single topic with full might, and move on to the next one, I forget the previous one, no matter how much I practise.
Original post by Luqman Qureshi
I had tried accounting a lot, but could not study it. I barely passed in O Level accounting and when I started A-Levels, I had to skip accounting as no matter how hard I tried, I could not understand a concept entirely as I used to start thinking about a topic in so depth that I could not grasp the basics and would start thinking of other topics that could be related to the topic at hand. I recently came to know about ADHD and consulted a psychiatrist and turns out I was correct.
Now that I am in university, accounting is compulsory. I personally love accounting, but I can't understand it and say, if I understand a single topic with full might, and move on to the next one, I forget the previous one, no matter how much I practise.

Hey! I have ADHD so i know the struggle. You can talk to your psychiatrist for advice and they can prescribe medication such as stimulants to help concentrate. ( theyll speak to you more about it). There’s a youtube channel called “How to ADHD”, and she has soooo many videos and tips about ADHD (things you may’ve not even known). Give her a try and speak to your psychiatrist about these things.
Original post by Vanessa03
Hey! I have ADHD so i know the struggle. You can talk to your psychiatrist for advice and they can prescribe medication such as stimulants to help concentrate. ( theyll speak to you more about it). There’s a youtube channel called “How to ADHD”, and she has soooo many videos and tips about ADHD (things you may’ve not even known). Give her a try and speak to your psychiatrist about these things.

Thanks for the reply.
Adhd meds are available in the country I live in. Plus, the country isn't even aware of ADHD and some see it as nothing to be worked on, even though the element the country is based on preaches to work on mental health.
Finding a doctor was like conducting whole market research, as most psychiatrists don't even know about it. The psychiatrist told me about CBT but I didn't find it beneficial. Even my parents believe that it can be "CURED" by following certain beliefs, while what they don't know is that the belief preaches to focus on the belief as well as your mental health.
Yes, I have been binge-watching her videos and she is amazing.
Thanks for the reply.
Adhd meds are available in the country I live in. Plus, the country isn't even aware of ADHD and some see it as nothing to be worked on, even though the element the country is based on preaches to work on mental health.
Finding a doctor was like conducting whole market research, as most psychiatrists don't even know about it. The psychiatrist told me about CBT but I didn't find it beneficial. Even my parents believe that it can be "CURED" by following certain beliefs, while what they don't know is that the belief preaches to focus on the belief as well as your mental health.
Yes, I have been binge-watching her videos and she is amazing.

Sorry, are you living in England or the UK. Yeah ADHD isn’t curable, maybe trying to teach them as ethnic backgrounds have a stigma against mental health. As for now How to ADHD has good tips but I use medication which helps a lot. Try push this on your psychiatrist. Hope it helps.
Sorry, are you living in England or the UK. Yeah ADHD isn’t curable, maybe trying to teach them as ethnic backgrounds have a stigma against mental health. As for now How to ADHD has good tips but I use medication which helps a lot. Try push this on your psychiatrist. Hope it helps.

No, I live in Pakistan and yes its a stigma, mainly due to lack of research.
ADHD meds aren't available here so getting a medicine prescribed is not possible.
Yes, How to ADHD has a lot of great tips, I use them in my daily life, but accounting can only be solved by taking meds.
No, I live in Pakistan and yes its a stigma, mainly due to lack of research.
ADHD meds aren't available here so getting a medicine prescribed is not possible.
Yes, How to ADHD has a lot of great tips, I use them in my daily life, but accounting can only be solved by taking meds.

Idk if you can order them but that’s probably illegal. Idk on the medication part unless you speak to your psychiatrist but the advice on How To ADHD will have to help for now
Idk if you can order them but that’s probably illegal. Idk on the medication part unless you speak to your psychiatrist but the advice on How To ADHD will have to help for now

That's the dilemma. Those meds are legal but aren't available in the country. Yes, tips explained by How to ADHD are helping.
And thanks a lot for the replies.
That's the dilemma. Those meds are legal but aren't available in the country. Yes, tips explained by How to ADHD are helping.
And thanks a lot for the replies.

Sorry to hear that. I don’t know any other solution myself but I hope you find one. Good luck and you’re welcome.
Sorry to hear that. I don’t know any other solution myself but I hope you find one. Good luck and you’re welcome.

Thanks a bunch.

Quick Reply

Latest