The Student Room Group

OSCOLA Listing statutes in bibliography help

Hi, I am confused on how I should list cases that start with
eg
R v Smith

Do I put Smith in alphabetical order under S or do I just list all cases starting with ‘R v’ as the letter R in the alphabet. I did not not understand the guidance.

Thank you!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Thiccviccc
Hi, I am confused on how I should list cases that start with
eg
R v Smith

Do I put Smith in alphabetical order under S or do I just list all cases starting with ‘R v’ as the letter R in the alphabet. I did not not understand the guidance.

Thank you!

Hello!

OSCOLA never fails to confuse people. I found this for you:
Cases - Do not italicise case names. You should list the cases alphabetically in order of the first significant word. If the parties involved are only identified by initials the case should be listed under the initial. The exception to this is cases listed under R, in which case you should list them under the second name. List trademark cases and shipping cases under the full case name, but insert an additional entry in the table under the trademark or the name of the ship with a cross-reference to the full name.
https://libguides.swansea.ac.uk/oscola/bibliography

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Original post by Mazza-G
Hello!

OSCOLA never fails to confuse people. I found this for you:
Cases - Do not italicise case names. You should list the cases alphabetically in order of the first significant word. If the parties involved are only identified by initials the case should be listed under the initial. The exception to this is cases listed under R, in which case you should list them under the second name. List trademark cases and shipping cases under the full case name, but insert an additional entry in the table under the trademark or the name of the ship with a cross-reference to the full name.
https://libguides.swansea.ac.uk/oscola/bibliography

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Thank you so much, I appreciate your help :smile:
I can guide you on how to cite cases using footnotes and how to intext cite English cases DM me for guidance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending