The Student Room Group

How many years of student finance we can have?

Hi everyone,

How many years of student finance we are allow to have?
I am current doing my 2yrs course of HND in Biology and the student finance cover it BUT I did 2 semesters in 2018 at University doing Medical Genetics (gave up due to my mental illness) and I am worried if student finance will cover my top up after I finish my HND since is going to be my 4th year asking for student finance.

I've heard they can fund 4 years but I've heard as well this weird formula (which I don't get it): years of my current course + 1 year - my previous years

Helpppp!! Thank you xx
Original post by big_potato
Hi everyone,

How many years of student finance we are allow to have?
I am current doing my 2yrs course of HND in Biology and the student finance cover it BUT I did 2 semesters in 2018 at University doing Medical Genetics (gave up due to my mental illness) and I am worried if student finance will cover my top up after I finish my HND since is going to be my 4th year asking for student finance.

I've heard they can fund 4 years but I've heard as well this weird formula (which I don't get it): years of my current course + 1 year - my previous years

Helpppp!! Thank you xx

Hi,

The calculation we use for full time applicants is : length of course + 1 additional year - minus previous = entitlement.
The calculation we use for top up course is : 3+1-previous study = entitlement. Top up courses are one year in length but for the calculation we always use 3.

If you are going to study a 1 year top up course after your 2 year HND course then the calculation for you will be 3+1-4= 0 years of funding. You will have to self fund the year unless you can provide Compelling Personal Reasons for leaving your previous course. Mental health is a valid reason.
You can find out more information about the evidence here http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi,

The calculation we use for full time applicants is : length of course + 1 additional year - minus previous = entitlement.
The calculation we use for top up course is : 3+1-previous study = entitlement. Top up courses are one year in length but for the calculation we always use 3.

If you are going to study a 1 year top up course after your 2 year HND course then the calculation for you will be 3+1-4= 0 years of funding. You will have to self fund the year unless you can provide Compelling Personal Reasons for leaving your previous course. Mental health is a valid reason.
You can find out more information about the evidence here http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you for your replay Issac,

But my previous year is 3 not 4 as I was a student for 3 year (1 year from my dropout and 2 years from my HND) so it should be 3+1-3= 1
Or my previous years include the course (top up) I'm going to take so it makes it 4 years? If so, that doesn't make sense.

Plus why counting my top up into the formula if that's the one I want to apply and try to figure it out if it can be funded.

And the GOV website is giving a different formula: length of CURRENT course + 1 additional year - previous years
If this formula is correct it will be for me: 2 (as my HND is 2 year course) +1-1 (as the dropout I had before the HND) = 2 years of entitlement

I'm more confuse now

Thank you
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you for your replay Issac,

But my previous year is 3 not 4 as I was a student for 3 year (1 year from my dropout and 2 years from my HND) so it should be 3+1-3= 1
Or my previous years include the course (top up) I'm going to take so it makes it 4 years? If so, that doesn't make sense.

Plus why counting my top up into the formula if that's the one I want to apply and try to figure it out if it can be funded.

And the GOV website is giving a different formula: length of CURRENT course + 1 additional year - previous years
If this formula is correct it will be for me: 2 (as my HND is 2 year course) +1-1 (as the dropout I had before the HND) = 2 years of entitlement

I'm more confuse now

Thank you

The previous study calculation applies to the current course you are applying for.

The top up course is the one you are applying for so we use the calculation for this which is length of course = 3 (we always use 3 as the length of top up courses even though it's 1) plus one additional year minus your previous study (you told me in your first post you will have 4 years of previous study) so 3+1-4 = 0.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Isaac
The previous study calculation applies to the current course you are applying for.

The top up course is the one you are applying for so we use the calculation for this which is length of course = 3 (we always use 3 as the length of top up courses even though it's 1) plus one additional year minus your previous study (you told me in your first post you will have 4 years of previous study) so 3+1-4 = 0.

Thanks, Isaac

Thank you for the help but I didn't said in my first post I study 4 years. I said I study 2 semesters in University (which is considerate 1 year) and I am doing a HND. This means I have 3 years. I said, me asking for a student finance again will be my 4th year (since I used 1 year at University and 2 years for HND). The 4th year will be if student finance accepts to fund my top up. In other words, I still didn't study for the 4th time.
Thank you for the help but I didn't said in my first post I study 4 years. I said I study 2 semesters in University (which is considerate 1 year) and I am doing a HND. This means I have 3 years. I said, me asking for a student finance again will be my 4th year (since I used 1 year at University and 2 years for HND). The 4th year will be if student finance accepts to fund my top up. In other words, I still didn't study for the 4th time.

If you have 3 years of previous study then you should be funded for the top up year as the calculation will be 3+1-3= 1
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending