The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster 2021

Hello! I'm doing the Harris Westminster virtual entrance exam in January. My exams are on History and Geography. What subjects are you guys doing tests on? Any advice for these tests? What are they like?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bhumika.l
Hello! I'm doing the Harris Westminster virtual entrance exam in January. My exams are on History and Geography. What subjects are you guys doing tests on? Any advice for these tests? What are they like?

Hi! I'm doing exams on French and History. For history I assumed it will probably be just analysis because we won't all know the same historical periods and the practice questions on the website seemed like mainly analysis I guess but i've seen other previous years on here say that the exams were easy so I hope they are lol! good luck!

Hi :smile: I’m doing further maths and physics for the exams. I think just practicing questions is the best thing we can do as it’s mostly application questions (if not all) so getting used to styles of questions and what they are looking for etc is important. Good luck to everyone!!
Original post by ChiaraBhardwaj
Hi :smile: I’m doing further maths and physics for the exams. I think just practicing questions is the best thing we can do as it’s mostly application questions (if not all) so getting used to styles of questions and what they are looking for etc is important. Good luck to everyone!!

hiiiiiii, i did the physics exam last year and it had some re arranging the formula questions, electricity and a thinking question at the end about filling a container with spherical balls- we were given the measurements and needed to figure out the volume of spheres the container could hold- this last question is likely to chnage but the practice exam on the website had similar questions!!! i hope this helps you and everyone else taking the physics exam :smile:
Original post by kissa_kig
hiiiiiii, i did the physics exam last year and it had some re arranging the formula questions, electricity and a thinking question at the end about filling a container with spherical balls- we were given the measurements and needed to figure out the volume of spheres the container could hold- this last question is likely to chnage but the practice exam on the website had similar questions!!! i hope this helps you and everyone else taking the physics exam :smile:

Thank you for the help! If you don’t mind me asking do you go to Harris Westminster currently? And if so how do you find the school.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hii! I am doing an exam on English Lit and Philosophy. I’d recommend practicing the example questions on their website as that’s the kind of questions we will receive! x (if anyone has any tips for English Lit or Philosophy pls reply)
Thank you for the help! If you don’t mind me asking do you go to Harris Westminster currently? And if so how do you find the school.

i go to harris now! i think that the school itself is hard-work but if you're willing to put in the effort it will be worth it??? everyone here is super friendly so it's easy to meet others, but the work load is heavy (in my opinion)- this being said you can switch to 3 a-levels+epq and core maths on enrolment day or 2 weeks after the start of school- it would probably help with the workload. there are lots of things i like such as cp's, lab time and the sports offered, however if you come here and feel like it's not for you that's fine! i know people who have left the school and are far better off, but i haven't yet come across people who regret leaving- since it's not for everyone.
(sorry for the long message, but if you have more questions i am happy to help!)
Yeah, I'm doing Chemistry and Maths for entrance exams and I am extremely scared because I did the Chemistry past paper in the website and I have no idea how well I did because there is no mark scheme.
I did the chemistry paper last year and it was almost identical to the questions on the website. Same format, similar topics but different questions. The thing with the chem paper is there are a lot of things that you won't know how to answer, but even waffling can get you marks. They just want to see your working so just write down whatever you're thinking and you should be fine.
Reply 9
I'm doing Biology and Spanish - I feel fairly confident about Spanish, I looked through the exam and it all seemed doable but I'm a bit concerned about Biology, so I'm gonna properly sit down and work my way through the example paper they give on the website and just work on how to answer those types of questions well.
Good luck!
I did the chemistry and maths tests 2 years ago (I'm in Y13 currently) and would recommend doing the past papers that are on the website. For chemistry, I would suggest that you know your basics like the formulae of ions eg SO4^(2-) and simple chemical reactions. I just used a cgp gcse revision book to quickly go over the content when I did it.
For maths, there's no other way but to just practice practice practice!

But the most important thing is to take a deep breath and do your very best!

Good Luck! :smile:
(PS - I'm not sure what the admission process is this year but as far as I remember points gained from interviews are worth 4 times more than points from the exams so if you feel that you didn't do the best, there's always the interviews!)
Hi does anyone know what the further maths exam qs are like? I found the sample paper ok... just silly mistakes and the rest is logical thinking and if there are any current students or alumni, could you please inform as to what would be good revision tools to use like GCSE Maths papers, UKMT or something else? Thank youu
:smile:

Mine are in Chemistry and Spanish!
Original post by RedQuark
Hi does anyone know what the further maths exam qs are like? I found the sample paper ok... just silly mistakes and the rest is logical thinking and if there are any current students or alumni, could you please inform as to what would be good revision tools to use like GCSE Maths papers, UKMT or something else? Thank youu
:smile:

the exam is in 2 days, im doing further maths and physics, i don't think u need to worry much if you get 9s in school and you know how to do every gcse maths question you get, you should be fine. So i should be fine as well. Just scared about Physicssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!
Original post by kissa_kig

Hi, I'm taking the Physics exam, how did you do last year in that exam, did you get full marks did you do relatively well or was it alright?

Same here!
Reply 16
Hi! Does anyone know what the English Lit and Philosophy exams are like??
Hey i'm doing biology and chemistry this Saturday is it true that the exam will be multiple choice this year? plus any advice for biology and chemistry exam?
Original post by FreezerEK
Hey i'm doing biology and chemistry this Saturday is it true that the exam will be multiple choice this year? plus any advice for biology and chemistry exam?

Hey I'm doing Biology and Chemistry as well, if the exams stay the same as usual I think the biology exam has a sort of comprehension section as well as graph analysis. I'm not sure about the Chemistry exam though
Original post by ambadakallan
the exam is in 2 days, im doing further maths and physics, i don't think u need to worry much if you get 9s in school and you know how to do every gcse maths question you get, you should be fine. So i should be fine as well. Just scared about Physicssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!

lol same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending