The Student Room Group

Real Estate Masters

Hi guys,

Hope you are all doing well!

I graduated in 2015 from the University of Sheffield, in Business Management. I've just turned 27, and currently working in marketing.

I've decided to change my career direction, and move into the real estate industry. Hence my applications, and offers to the following university courses:
University of Reading - MSc Real Estate, MSc Real Estate Finance, MSc Real Estate Finance & Investment
University of Manchester - MSc Real Estate Development, MSc Real Estate Development
City, University of London (CASS) - MSc Real Estate

Has anyone had any experience completing/undertaking one of these courses? I'm particularly interested to hear of experiences on the Manchester courses, as there are very few posts on here relating to this course.

I'm torn between MSc Real Estate at Reading and MSc Real Estate Development at Manchester. My long-term future aspiration is to own a Real Estate Development/Investment company, and I will need to gain a lot of experience first, hence I hope this degree provides a platform for a successful career within the industry.

Thank you all,
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by CL999
Hi guys,

I graduated in 2015 from the University of Sheffield, in Business Management. I've just turned 27, and currently working in marketing.

I've decided to change my career direction, and move into the real estate industry. Hence my applications, and offers to the following university courses:
University of Reading - MSc Real Estate, MSc Real Estate Finance, MSc Real Estate Finance & Investment
University of Manchester - MSc Real Estate Development, MSc Real Estate Development

Has anyone had any experience completing/undertaking one of these courses? I'm particularly interested to hear of experiences on the Manchester courses, as there are very few posts on here relating to this course.

I'm torn between MSc Real Estate at Reading and MSc Real Estate Development at Manchester. My long-term future aspiration is to own a Real Estate Development/Investment company, and I will need to gain a lot of experience first, hence I hope this degree provides a platform for a successful career within the industry.

Thank you all,

Take a look also at the Cambridge course (MSt - part time over 2 years) - it should stand you in good stead when the hunt for a job comes up. It's heavily econometrics and statistics based, but allows you to get into RE finance, investment, and from what I see (I'm a corporate RE lawyer) everything you need to get into the larger investment companies. I interviewed for it but without the maths background I felt I would have to do too much additional work to keep up.
Reply 2
Original post by tabshiftspace
Take a look also at the Cambridge course (MSt - part time over 2 years) - it should stand you in good stead when the hunt for a job comes up. It's heavily econometrics and statistics based, but allows you to get into RE finance, investment, and from what I see (I'm a corporate RE lawyer) everything you need to get into the larger investment companies. I interviewed for it but without the maths background I felt I would have to do too much additional work to keep up.

Did you get an offer - what was your background?

I am looking at applying for next year.

I did and UG in Acc and Fin at WBS and then 2 internships in IBD at UBS. Left and run my own business - for which I wish to have better understand of real estate.
Reply 3
Original post by CL999
Hi guys,

Thank you all,

Hey, Ive got an offer for MSc Real Estate Investment at CASS.
Reply 4
Hi ahmed, I just got an offer for MSc Real Estate Investment at CASS, I'm currently at the University of York doing Economics, what about you, which other courses have you applied to?
Reply 5
Original post by jake3410
Hi ahmed, I just got an offer for MSc Real Estate Investment at CASS, I'm currently at the University of York doing Economics, what about you, which other courses have you applied to?

Congrats! Im currently doing Financial Economics at Kingston University. Ive applied for Reading too but main choice was CASS. Do you think youll be accepting the offer from CASS?
Original post by uxa595
Did you get an offer - what was your background?

I am looking at applying for next year.

I did and UG in Acc and Fin at WBS and then 2 internships in IBD at UBS. Left and run my own business - for which I wish to have better understand of real estate.

I was accepted on a history degree at Cambridge, which I was more interested in. So I withdrew my application from the RE degree and accepted the history offer.
Is it really a must to have a masters in Real Estate to work in this field???? What is so complicated and scientific to work as an agent renting houses that you really need invest money in a masters??? Where is this world going? I understand unis can create any monkey degrees to collect money, but what about people willing to pay... ..
Original post by the_queen
Is it really a must to have a masters in Real Estate to work in this field???? What is so complicated and scientific to work as an agent renting houses that you really need invest money in a masters??? Where is this world going? I understand unis can create any monkey degrees to collect money, but what about people willing to pay... ..

Unfortunately Real Estate in the UK gets mixed up with the US real estate and Realtor - which are basically our estate agents.

A UK real estate degree (whether undergrad or masters) is usually accredited with the RICS and therefore can count as the academic component for people wanting to become chartered surveyors.

Most real estate degrees then have very little residential agency work in them and beyond a week or so in a law module about resi tenancies almost nothing about renting houses. They tend to be much more focussed on commercial property - valuation, property development, commercial tenancy management, investment portfolios etc.

eg: My first year undergrad students as their final assessment in their valuation module are valuing a real commercial investment property. They have the sales particulars with a 5.9 million asking price, they know the current rent is about £450,000, they know there is a rent review in about 3 1/2 years. In order to value this they need to collate suitable market evidence to try and estimate the likely impact of the rent review and to try and determine the sort of return investors are looking at in the market and then use that in a suitable way to arrive at a valuation of the income stream coming from the investment.

The final year undergraduates are then basically playing monopoly in one module - we've provided them with details of a property fund c. £400 million owning properties across Europe. They need to analyse the mix of properties and the investment risk and come up with evidenced recommendations as to how to rebalance the portfolio to achieve certain aims.

So yes, if you want to do residential agency property work there is very little required (there are some level 2 and 3 optional qualifications around), but in the commercial property world there is very much the expectation of the RICS accredited degree etc.

(I'm the course leader for real estate at Birmingham City so I'm bound to say it's a good thing to do, but hopefully you can see some of the complexity in my couple of examples)
Original post by timleebcu
Unfortunately Real Estate in the UK gets mixed up with the US real estate and Realtor - which are basically our estate agents.

A UK real estate degree (whether undergrad or masters) is usually accredited with the RICS and therefore can count as the academic component for people wanting to become chartered surveyors.

Most real estate degrees then have very little residential agency work in them and beyond a week or so in a law module about resi tenancies almost nothing about renting houses. They tend to be much more focussed on commercial property - valuation, property development, commercial tenancy management, investment portfolios etc.

eg: My first year undergrad students as their final assessment in their valuation module are valuing a real commercial investment property. They have the sales particulars with a 5.9 million asking price, they know the current rent is about £450,000, they know there is a rent review in about 3 1/2 years. In order to value this they need to collate suitable market evidence to try and estimate the likely impact of the rent review and to try and determine the sort of return investors are looking at in the market and then use that in a suitable way to arrive at a valuation of the income stream coming from the investment.

The final year undergraduates are then basically playing monopoly in one module - we've provided them with details of a property fund c. £400 million owning properties across Europe. They need to analyse the mix of properties and the investment risk and come up with evidenced recommendations as to how to rebalance the portfolio to achieve certain aims.

So yes, if you want to do residential agency property work there is very little required (there are some level 2 and 3 optional qualifications around), but in the commercial property world there is very much the expectation of the RICS accredited degree etc.

(I'm the course leader for real estate at Birmingham City so I'm bound to say it's a good thing to do, but hopefully you can see some of the complexity in my couple of examples)

I can understand your point, but I still think that paying 9k, or even international fee is too much for such a field. Not saying about masters.... Sorry!
Reply 10
Hi everybody,

I was accepted into MSc RE investment at Cass, MSc RE Finance at Reading and MSc RE Economics and Investment at UCL.

Which would you go for? Will you be attending CASS? I am slightly torn by their name change to Bayes, as no one in and especially outside the UK will know their brand :/

Thanks!
I can understand your point, but I still think that paying 9k, or even international fee is too much for such a field. Not saying about masters.... Sorry!

I'm a lawyer in corporate RE and commercial RE (with some very high value residential thrown in the bag) and I have to say that I work with RICs qualified portfolio managers all the time - I need them to know what they are doing as otherwise the whole thing becomes messy, long winded, more expensive etc. On the few occasions I have dealt with 'unqualified' people the whole transaction was unbearable. So it's no wonder that professional companies in this field require such qualifications (RICs qualified) before they let the team anywhere near clients. In terms of degrees, the Cambridge one is largely focused on econometrics and modelling based on all sorts of criteria because you're expected to be capable of managing pension fund portfolios worth millions and billions. I wouldn't expect anything less than a RICs qualified (and preferably more) experienced surveyor and fund manager to be working on my folios. I hope that kind of explains why the industry is where it is.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi Everyone,
Have you considered looking at the Royal Agricultural University's RICS accredited MSc Real Estate and MSc Rural Estate Management courses? We have virtual introduction events taking place tomorrow afternoon (Wed 19 May).

You can book your place at www.rau.ac.uk/opendays

Wednesday 19 May 2021 12:00pm - 1:00pm. A virtual introduction to MSc Rural Estate Management
Wednesday 19 May 2021 1:00pm - 2:00pm. A virtual introduction to MSc Real Estate

Good luck with your applications
Ellie, Royal Agricultural University
Original post by valsa03
Hi everybody,

I was accepted into MSc RE investment at Cass, MSc RE Finance at Reading and MSc RE Economics and Investment at UCL.

Which would you go for? Will you be attending CASS? I am slightly torn by their name change to Bayes, as no one in and especially outside the UK will know their brand :/

Thanks!

Hey, I have the same exact offers, have you made your choice yet?
Original post by valsa03
Hi everybody,

Thanks!

I'd go for Reading.
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:tongue:ointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:tongue:ointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}

I think you're still misunderstanding what a Chartered Surveyor is, Real Estate and other surveying professions such as Quantity Surveyors and Building Surveyors are very challenging and can be very lucrative, as a profession it is on par with with a Chartered Accountant, Lawyer or other professions of that caliber. Surveying has nothing to do with Estate Agency, it is a complex job requiring knowledge on Law, investment valuation and construction technology therefore a Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors accredited University qualification is necessary if one wants to become a Chartered Surveyor.
I have a relative did the Masters in real estate investment and finance at Reading Henley Business school (previous background was maths degree from Durham plus 2 years investment banking experience as an analyst). I had an interest in real estate private equity on an investment side so would speak to him about it. He said Reading and Cambridge were best but Reading still had better long term reputation and was better blend of practical/theory, compared to Cambridge (relying on the name). Depends where you want to work, only case for Cambridge is if you wanted to work in US - they just go on brand name more so than what you actually know.

People are not just agents who go into those programmes but often high paying special roles like real estate private equity, real estate equity research for an investment bank or real estate development etc. All ideally need a masters.
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending