The Student Room Group

Moving to the usa

I need to move as far away from my abusive parents. So i'm deciding to maybe studying in the USA.

So my question is, can i apply from UK to a USA community college? How much would tuition be compared to the UK or a USA non community college. Thanks/
Reply 1
It’s a very difficult, almost impossible process. If you are a very promising a level student with lots of interesting extra curricular activities / work experience then you might have a chance.
Reply 2
It's slightly tricky. I would say the main issue is the tuition fees. The standard non-ivy league university is probably around $16k a year, bearing in mind that a bachelor's in America takes 4 years to complete + you have living costs too. The UK Student Finance doesn't fund international university tuitions and I'm not sure what the possible loan options are. Perhaps talk to your school about this? maybe they can give you more advice. Also, what are your grades like? depending on which community college you're interested in, some are less competitive
Original post by Anonymous
I need to move as far away from my abusive parents. So i'm deciding to maybe studying in the USA.

So my question is, can i apply from UK to a USA community college? How much would tuition be compared to the UK or a USA non community college. Thanks/

Why community college? A number of private US universities will offer financial aid to international students so they'll be cheaper than community college for you.
Reply 4
But FA applications generally require the parents to submit their financial info - not likely to be practical if they are abusive.
Original post by ohope
But FA applications generally require the parents to submit their financial info - not likely to be practical if they are abusive.

This is true and honestly something I completely overlooked, so thanks for pointing this out!!

I wonder if you emailed colleges and explained the situation if there’s anything they can do? It’s unlikely they can, but it’s worth a shot.

Also, I’m sorry to say that if that’s the case, it’s somewhat unlikely that OP would be able to finance much at all to be honest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending