The Student Room Group

Covid breakup

!😽
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Sadgrl5
I went to my boyfriends house and two days later my mom and dad was tested positive for covid. I also feel I have it too as I feel very unwell. We have been told to isolate and for no one else to get tested if they live in the same household as going out to get a test is a risk of infection. My boyfriend was very supportive but after speaking to his parents he has had a change in heart.
His parents are pissed as his stepmom
Is very high risk. They are adamant that I get a test even though they know I’ve been told not to. My boyfriend is now mad with me too as he says I’ve ruined Christmas for him and if I don’t get a test his leaving me. How should I feel about this ?

I wouls be upset and annoyed for several reasons.
1. The fact he is mad at you for not getting tested for the sake of his stepmom but if you have covid and go to get tested you can transfer that to someone who can end up infecting her. So in the end he is not really helping the cause
2. The fact he stopped being supportive just because his parents got mad out of being ignorant is a red flag.
3. You will be isolating either way for christmas so what have you ruined? The fact he blamed you for something that isn't your fault or cant control(your family getting sick) is childish manipulative and toxic.

I dont know the guy but based on the things stated he should reflect on the situation and think how he would feel if you did that to him. Im sure he wont appreciate it
Reply 2
Original post by icyxrose
I wouls be upset and annoyed for several reasons.
1. The fact he is mad at you for not getting tested for the sake of his stepmom but if you have covid and go to get tested you can transfer that to someone who can end up infecting her. So in the end he is not really helping the cause
2. The fact he stopped being supportive just because his parents got mad out of being ignorant is a red flag.
3. You will be isolating either way for christmas so what have you ruined? The fact he blamed you for something that isn't your fault or cant control(your family getting sick) is childish manipulative and toxic.

I dont know the guy but based on the things stated he should reflect on the situation and think how he would feel if you did that to him. Im sure he wont appreciate it

Thank you so much. This has gave me some idea of what to say to him and stand up on my own two feet!
Reply 3
Why were you going g to your boyfriend's house when it's only allowed in Tier 1, which its unlikely you are in as it is a tiny part of the UK? Why did he let you in? You are both at fault.
Am. Sorry
Reply 5
It their fault too if they welcomed you to the house. Do you have covid symptoms. They are at risk if they were in close contact with you in the 48 hours before you showed symptoms. If you have symptoms you should get a test, they can be posted to the home.
Why did you go to someone’s house when people in your house have covid? That’s pretty awful behaviour.
Original post by Pixelrainbow..
Why did you go to someone’s house when people in your house have covid? That’s pretty awful behaviour.

That’s not what happened.
Original post by Pixelrainbow..

I suggest you read the first message the OP put.
They clearly say that their parents tested positive TWO DAYS AFTER they went to their boyfriend's house, not before!
I'm unsure why you've been told not to get tested... you at least could do a home test.

Either way just explain to him it's very unlikely you don't have covid and that he and his family presume that you do.

It's a highly emotive subject but nobody is solely at fault here. You were in the wrong deciding to go round to your boyfriends, they were in the wrong for letting you in.
Reply 10
Original post by MedicWil
I suggest you read the first message the OP put.
They clearly say that their parents tested positive TWO DAYS AFTER they went to their boyfriend's house, not before!

And the rules are that that there is no meeting indoors, unless the OP is in the unlikely position of being in a Tier 1 area, so should not have been to her bf's house.

Plus, given that test results take around 48 hours, if the parents got a test because they had symptoms, the OP shouldn't have gone out.
It seems odd that you have been told not to get a test as it is pretty much standard for household members of people who have tested positive to also be tested. But if that's the advice you've been give, follow it. Your bf has no right to say you have ruined Christmas for him as he has allowed you into his house knowing that could be a risk, so really his family only have themselves to blame...
Original post by Surnia
Why were you going g to your boyfriend's house when it's only allowed in Tier 1, which its unlikely you are in as it is a tiny part of the UK? Why did he let you in? You are both at fault.

Youre not helping the situation- thisnt what she asked to be helped with😭
Original post by Surnia
And the rules are that that there is no meeting indoors, unless the OP is in the unlikely position of being in a Tier 1 area, so should not have been to her bf's house.

Plus, given that test results take around 48 hours, if the parents got a test because they had symptoms, the OP shouldn't have gone out.

The rules aren't that simple. In all tiers you can meet up with people in your support bubble which may include the OP's boyfriend.

The test results take different amounts of time depending on what type of test (PCR vs Lateral Flow Tests) and how busy the local labs are.
Also you don't know whether the parents had symptoms or not, they may have just had a test for work purposes. There are many care providers and the NHS offering, or requiring, staff to be tested and most of the time, people who get tested in this way are asymptomatic and don't know they have it until the test results come back.

Furthermore, the OP has asked for advice about what to do with regards to their boyfriend, not to be judged and admonished by someone who doesn't even know all the facts.

In short, don't judge someone before you know the full facts and don't reply unless you have something constructive to add to the conversation. Doing otherwise makes you appear a very short sighted and judgemental person and that doesn't help anyone
Reply 14
Original post by MedicWil
The rules aren't that simple. In all tiers you can meet up with people in your support bubble which may include the OP's boyfriend.

The rules are simple. Given that the OP and her boy friend live with their parents, they can't be in a support bubble.

As you can tell by the responses, and not just mine, the OP needs to learn that actions have consequences and there is more of a problem than the relationship when people are breaking the rules during a pandemic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending