The Student Room Group

Which is easier to get a distinction on; the LPC or an academic LLM?

Poll

Which is easier to get a distinction on; the LPC or an academic LLM?

Do you guys think it is easier to get a distinction on the vocational LPC LLM as compared with an academic LLM?

Edit-
My main aim right now is to secure a distinction in my masters program. I recently graduated 2:1 on my LLB from southampton. I have received admission to begin an LLM at Exeter University and also an LPC LLM at Ulaw. I am strongly considering several careers outside of law where masters degrees are generally better regarded. I am fully aware that several law degree holding students work in many fields outside of law e.g banking, consultancy, business analysts, auditors e.t.c so YES, an LLM can be relevant in other fields. I have heard that the LPC is extremely intense and has terrible pass rates. I am ready to put in hardwork for the next one year, However, my goal remains to secure a distinction on my masters to stand out. Which of these courses would be easier to secure a distinction based on their workload and intensity? An academic LLM or the vocational LPC LLM?

Thank you

Edit-
I have not done the courses so I do not about how demanding they will be. Beyond what the universities may say, I would appreciate someone who has done an academic LLM and then went on to do the LPC and has a personal understanding of the work hours, workload rigorousness demanded of both course to provide a personal opinion as they have experienced it. People who have done either one as well can pour in their opinion of what they thought about the courses while doing them.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Tobi_h
Do you guys think it is easier to get a distinction on the vocational LPC LLM as compared with an academic LLM?

You havent identified all the variables, which shows the potential weakness in your query.
Why does it matter? They are different things.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You havent identified all the variables, which shows the potential weakness in your query.
Why does it matter? They are different things.

Yes, sorry about that. I have put in more context through an edit of the original question. Could you please give me your opinion as it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by Tobi_h
Yes, sorry about that. I have put in more context through an edit of the original question. Could you please give me your opinion as it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Again you arent comparing like with like and you arent accounting for all the variables.
If its that important ask the unis concerned and they can give you the numbers, although neither of them will know about the variables.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Again you arent comparing like with like and you arent accounting for all the variables.
If its that important ask the unis concerned and they can give you the numbers, although neither of them will know about the variables.

I have not done the courses so I do not about how demanding they will be. Beyond what the universities may say, I would appreciate someone who has done an academic LLM and then went on to do the LPC and has a personal understanding of the work hours, workload rigorousness demanded of both course to provide a personal opinion as they have experienced it. People who have done either one as well can pour in their opinion of what they thought about the courses while doing them.
Probably most people have not done an LLM and the separately the LPC. My daughters did the LPC and did not find it too hard - in fact they thought the GDL was harder (they did not read law at university).

The LPC pass rate I don't think is generally known. People with very good A level results who are bright seem to have no problem passing it at all in my experience - I don't know a single person who has failed it. However the whole system is bout to change with the SQE coming in so I am not sure for how long the LPC will continue to be available. I suppose they might call it SQEII preparation course in the next year or two. So do look into that side of it too.
Reply 6
Original post by 17Student17
Probably most people have not done an LLM and the separately the LPC. My daughters did the LPC and did not find it too hard - in fact they thought the GDL was harder (they did not read law at university).

The LPC pass rate I don't think is generally known. People with very good A level results who are bright seem to have no problem passing it at all in my experience - I don't know a single person who has failed it. However the whole system is bout to change with the SQE coming in so I am not sure for how long the LPC will continue to be available. I suppose they might call it SQEII preparation course in the next year or two. So do look into that side of it too.

Thank you very much for your response. I read this article https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.legalcheek.com/2020/02/lpc-pass-rates-nosedive-as-report-reveals-one-law-school-where-just-29-of-students-made-the-grade/amp/

And it talks about how the pass rate is like 56% and one law school managing a 29% pass rate which is very alarming:confused:. Although the pass rates are recorded anonymously, the SRA does post the general pass rates without indicating each LPC providers pass rates. So I’m still slightly uneasy seeing it that seems that the LPC must be quite tough which such low pass rates. If it is this hard to pass, it may be quite hard to get a distinction.
the difficulty of getting a distinction does not matter. you should be worrying about the things the kind users on this forum (not me) advised you on the other thread

Original post by Tobi_h
Thank you very much for your response. I read this article https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.legalcheek.com/2020/02/lpc-pass-rates-nosedive-as-report-reveals-one-law-school-where-just-29-of-students-made-the-grade/amp/

And it talks about how the pass rate is like 56% and one law school managing a 29% pass rate which is very alarming:confused:. Although the pass rates are recorded anonymously, the SRA does post the general pass rates without indicating each LPC providers pass rates. So I’m still slightly uneasy seeing it that seems that the LPC must be quite tough which such low pass rates. If it is this hard to pass, it may be quite hard to get a distinction.

i'm no academic genius (2.1 from average RG up North) but a lot of the people doing the LPC are complete and utter ******s. the pass rate for those who get a TC and are sponsored is like >90%, probably a lot higher
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
My gosh, thank you so much for the detailed explanation and that is pretty impressive getting a distinction on both. The information you provided has been quite helpful. Its also given me a rough idea of what both are like. I’m guessing you took the accelerated LPC, which must have been hell:redface: From what you’ve explained, it would seem that the LPC is more time demanding as it has a greater workload of things to memorise and also requires more personal organisation. I intend on going for the full time LPC. I’m sure you’re super busy as it is boxing day and forgive my numerous questions but your opinion would be quite valuable on the the two final questions below;

* Would you say I can kiss goodbye to any free time for part-time work or pro-bono opportunities If I do the full time LPC? as It would seem I would need to focus in on the course constantly If my aim is a distinction.

* Which do you think looked more impressive to the law firm you ended up training in; getting a distinction on your LLM or your LPC?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
You have no idea how helpful your information has been. Again, Thank you so much🙏🏾
I agree with the above (except I think someone said there are no options on the LPC - there are. There are core subject you must do but on top of that you have your electives you can choose -usually best to chose those based on the type of firm where you want to work).

"Study the core practice areas of Business Law and Practice, Property Law and Practice and Litigation (Civil and Criminal). The emphasis is on practical application, using specifically designed client portfolios and simulated transactions.
Select three elective modules in areas as diverse as Corporate Finance, Commercial Law and Intellectual Property, Media and Entertainment Law or Immigration Law."

I agree with the comment above too about the accelerated LPC. Don't do that one unless you have a sponsoring law firm requiring you to do so; it is too much work with not enough time off compared with the normal one.

You say above you have decided to do the LPC. I think that is the right choice in your position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending