The Student Room Group

tips on English literature A-level essay

Hey everyone, I hope you're good, I was wondering if there are any tips in essay writing for the top marks? Im at b+c grade but unsure on how to improve to get an A. I've asked teachers but they dont give clear answers, so any examples will be appreciated, thank you !
Reply 1
have a look at the examiners reports and essay exemplars! it can be useful to look at them to give you ideas and see ways in which you can improve from your current standing... i suppose it lets us cater our answers specifically for the examiners/ what they prefer to see
i’ve also found embedding quotes (and memorising easy/ multifunctional quotes) massively helpful in improving my answers!
Original post by Fluffysweetfries
Hey everyone, I hope you're good, I was wondering if there are any tips in essay writing for the top marks? Im at b+c grade but unsure on how to improve to get an A. I've asked teachers but they dont give clear answers, so any examples will be appreciated, thank you !

Dissect your work.

How much of it is raw data vs fluff or padding

What is your style like - can it be improved.

Spelling & grammar???

Follow Tcollis advice. Look at other work with higher grades; see where you differ & can improve.

Good Luck
thank you for your replies, much appreciated !
Reply 4
Heed all the relevant assessment objectives (AOs). You're rarely holistically assessed (unless you're with AQA). You don't want to waste space on the page, and you want your essay to focus on the task. You should have already done this when you were in secondary school, but it's more important than ever in sixth form.

When AO2 is assessed, try and combine language, structure and form into one point (or at least two out of the three), and look for patterns. This is more sophisticated than the analysis requirements at GCSE.

Do your best to integrate context if it isn't already an AO3 habit, because this is practically demanded at A Level. The same is true for any textual comparisons (AO4).

In terms of structure, your essays don't have to be shockingly different from those at GCSE. Their content just has to be more elaborate, but you don't have to necessarily forsake that 'winning formula'.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Tolgash
Heed all the relevant assessment objectives (AOs). You're rarely holistically assessed (unless you're with AQA). You don't want to waste space on the page, and you want your essay to focus on the task. You should have already done this when you were in secondary school, but it's more important than ever in sixth form.

When AO2 is assessed, try and combine language, structure and form into one point (or at least two out of the three), and look for patterns. This is more sophisticated than the analysis requirements at GCSE.

Do your best to integrate context if it isn't already an AO3 habit, because this is practically demanded at A Level. The same is true for any textual comparisons (AO4).

In terms of structure, your essays don't have to be shockingly different from those at GCSE. Their content just has to be more elaborate, but you don't have to necessarily forsake that 'winning formula'.

I'm with AQA, what do you mean by holistically assessed? Also thank you for the rest of the advice, ill take it into consideration !
Reply 6
Original post by Fluffysweetfries
I'm with AQA, what do you mean by holistically assessed? Also thank you for the rest of the advice, ill take it into consideration !

If you're holistically assessed, the examiner takes all the AOs into consideration.
Original post by Tolgash
If you're holistically assessed, the examiner takes all the AOs into consideration.

oh wow, yeah i saw the percentages, thanks for informing me again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending