The Student Room Group

How can people be satisfied with going to a uni outside the top 10?

With jobs being so competitive and uni fees being so expensive why are so many people still satisfied with going to mediocre unis with degrees that have very low job prospects as opposed to doing apprenticeships and going into jobs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
why bother at all, just go work on the bins
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
why bother at all, just go work on the bins

huh?
Reply 3
Original post by alexr19i8
huh?

Reply 4
Original post by gjd800

nice
Depends on what you want to do and where you are in life, not all people pay the same fees... or need to worry about money at all. Plenty people just want the skills and the knowledge.
(edited 3 years ago)
With jobs being so competitive and uni fees being so expensive why are so many people still satisfied with going to mediocre unis with degrees that have very low job prospects as opposed to doing apprenticeships and going into jobs?

as someone who went to a top 10 uni and has a job, i can tell you in a few years time the people who went to low ranked unis but had lots of part time/summer/weekend jobs on their CVs will be laughing at the smug Oxford grads with nothing except 'school Prefect' to their name
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
Depends on what you want to do and where you are in life, not all people pay the same fees... or needs to worry about money at all. Plenty people just want the skills and the knowledge.

Yeah but there's so many students who are ok with going to uni's like Roehampton, Holloway, Trent etc, where the fees are still 9k yet job prospects are low. Like how can people be so blasé about going into 27k in debt just for uni experience.

That’s kind of a **** perspective. If you do your research you’d find that different unis are better at certain subjects than others. The top 10 aren’t everything stop being so elitist
Reply 9
Different people have different life values.
Reply 10
Original post by A Rolling Stone
as someone who went to a top 10 uni and has a job, i can tell you in a few years time the people who went to low ranked unis but had lots of part time/summer/weekend jobs on their CVs will be laughing at the smug Oxford grads with nothing except 'school Prefect' to their name

Obviously there are some minorities who are outgoing and will have those internships, but for the majority even going to a top 10 uni means the chances of getting those internships are far better than those who are just going to uni for the sake of it.
their choice , their life
Some people want to go to a uni that is best in their subject field rather than a generic list of 'best' universities. Subject rankings are more important than general overall 'prestige' since employers recognise good universities in their field.

Some universities in the top 10 don't even do certain courses, that was the case for me and I have 2As and an A* at A-level :dontknow:
Reply 13
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Different people have different values. Dont be smug.

I'm not trying to be smug, I'm just trying to put my self in other people's perspectives who are willing to go into debt whilst studying subjects they're doing just because uni is now considered the normal next thing if you know what i mean.
Reply 14
Yeah but there's so many students who are ok with going to uni's like Roehampton, Holloway, Trent etc, where the fees are still 9k yet job prospects are low. Like how can people be so blasé about going into 27k in debt just for uni experience.

Mate I went to Holloway, graduated with a decent degree and most of my friends have found good jobs.

A top ten Russell group uni sounds great but some unis have great departments despite their ranking. Holloway has a respected PIR and History department so that didn't matter to me at all. If you cut the crap and stop putting elite unis on a pedestal, then maybe you would be getting somewhere rather than trying to p*ss all over others..
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by CoolCavy
Some people want to go to a uni that is best in their subject field rather than a generic list of 'best' universities. Subject rankings are more important than general overall 'prestige' since employers recognise good universities in their field.

Some universities in the top 10 don't even do certain courses, that was the case for me and I have 2As and an A* at A-level :dontknow:

I did all 3 degrees at one place in order to work with the same person on dissertations at every level, haha
Obviously there are some minorities who are outgoing and will have those internships, but for the majority even going to a top 10 uni means the chances of getting those internships are far better than those who are just going to uni for the sake of it.

one of the things i've learnt is that internships are not essential - just humble jobs like working behind a counter that demonstrate people skills
I get the impression this is more of a 'Can you think outside the box?' question overall.
Reply 18
Original post by setarexhx
That’s kind of a **** perspective. If you do your research you’d find that different unis are better at certain subjects than others. The top 10 aren’t everything stop being so elitist

Yeah that was just a headline statement, I'm more so referring to those uni's that are in the mid tier and are full of students studying just for the sake of going to uni
because if you don’t like any of the unis in the top 10 why would you put yourself through the suffering? just sad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending