The Student Room Group

Maths, Physics, Computer science A levels

Are is Maths, Physics, Computer science good A level choices?
Will I be able to get into top universities with these A levels?
What degrees would you suggest will give me the best chance to go to a top university?
(FYI: I am not able to do further maths internally and externally)
(edited 3 years ago)
Depends what you want to study
Original post by ffbant
Are is Maths, Physics, Computer science good A level choices?
Will I be able to get into top universities with these A levels?
What degrees would you suggest will give me the best chance to go to a top university?
(FYI: I am not able to do further maths internally and externally)

You'd be able to apply for Maths, Computer Science, Physics, and joint courses of any combinations of those. Also AI, Data Science and that sort of things. Those choices are absolutely fine, and no unis (I don't think) require you to have taken FM.
Reply 3
Original post by Mrepic Foulger
Depends what you want to study

I want to do Computer science at a top university but I'm scared having no further maths will affect me. I do coding challenges and projects outside of school though.
Original post by ffbant
I want to do Computer science at a top university but I'm scared having no further maths will affect me. I do coding challenges and projects outside of school though.

If you are aiming for Oxbridge, it will be hard without fm. Otherwise you will be fine fif you get good grades
Reply 5
If you are aiming for Oxbridge, it will be hard without fm. Otherwise you will be fine fif you get good grades

I'm not aiming for Oxbridge but rather universities like: Durham, Bath, Exeter, Manchester, Leeds. Will I be alright?
Original post by ffbant
I'm not aiming for Oxbridge but rather universities like: Durham, Bath, Exeter, Manchester, Leeds. Will I be alright?

I think you should be fine, what target grades do you have?
Reply 7
I think you should be fine, what target grades do you have?

A*A*A
Original post by ffbant

Further maths is ideal but you’ll be fine assuming you get high grades in the subjects you have chosen. There are some people on my maths degree at Manchester who haven’t taken further maths, and they’re still doing okay. Remember that once you’re at uni everyone took different further maths modules anyway, and there’s international students who followed an entirely different curriculum.

According to whatuni.com, 49% of comp sci students at Manchester took A level further maths, so most people would actually be in the same position as you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Dancer2001
Further maths is ideal but you’ll be fine assuming you get high grades in the subjects you have chosen. There are some people on my maths degree at Manchester who haven’t taken further maths, and they’re still doing okay. Remember that once you’re at uni everyone took different further maths modules anyway, and there’s international students who followed an entirely different curriculum.

According to whatuni.com, 49% of comp sci students at Manchester took A level further maths, so most people would actually be in the same position as you.

Thanks you've really increased my confidence in my A levels.

Quick Reply