The Student Room Group

I’m a non-Conformist, charismatic Christian AMA

All questions welcome :wink:

(Non-conformist Christian means my church isn’t catholic or Church of England. The current one I attend is evangelical/baptist, but I also agree with some parts of Pentecostalism. I’m open to all ideas about Christianity)

(Sorry if someone’s already done this, but I haven’t seen one)
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Exactly how many divisions of Christianity are there?
Original post by MiriamL
All questions welcome :wink:

(Non-conformist Christian means my church isn’t catholic or Church of England. The current one I attend is evangelical/baptist, but I also agree with some parts of Pentecostalism. I’m open to all ideas about Christianity)

(Sorry if someone’s already done this, but I haven’t seen one)

Hello friend. I am a Christian too and I love theology which is about studying Christian Doctrine and also apologetics which is defending the Christian view with evidence and reason against atheism and other worldviews.

As a fellow Christian, I would like to ask you, how are you equipped to defend your faith?
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
Exactly how many divisions of Christianity are there?

Actually countless. I have no clue. Free churches, (non-conformist) each church can call themselves a different division. Generally catholic, Church of England (Anglican) and free church, are the main ones. Apart from the occasional outlier (Westboro Baptist church, Church of the Latter Day Saints etc) Most free churches are pretty similar with just minor differences in interpretation.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by MiriamL
Actually countless. I have no clue. Free churches, (non-conformist) each church can call themselves a different division. Generally catholic, Church of England (Anglican) and free church, are the main ones. Apart from the occasional outlier (Westboro Baptist church, Church of the Latter Day Saints etc) Most free churches are pretty similar with just minor differences in interpretation.

Mormons aren't considered as mainstream Christians
Original post by AnkiExpert
Hello friend. I am a Christian too and I love theology which is about studying Christian Doctrine and also apologetics which is defending the Christian view with evidence and reason against atheism and other worldviews.

As a fellow Christian, I would like to ask you, how are you equipped to defend your faith?

I remain close to Jesus and read his word, I look for his hand in my life and spend time worshipping him, dwelling in his spirit so I know he is real. I then look to the bible and understand that it does say the world does not want to accept Christians and we will face persecution. Therefore I know not to be defeatist when someone refuses to listen to what I have to say. I like using science as evidence for creation. And I just try to be loving to everyone I meet because the best way to defend our faith is to show it in its purest form. Which is love.

Tbf I had never really thought about this question before so the answer isn’t that well developed. It was nice to answer, and I think I will ponder it more.
Original post by Muttley79

Correct they are not Christians.

Oh really? I didn’t know that. I kinda just considered them to be as they read the bible. I know they interpret it in a very different way.
Correct they are not Christians.

Fair enough. Will remember that
Original post by MiriamL
I remain close to Jesus and read his word, I look for his hand in my life and spend time worshipping him, dwelling in his spirit so I know he is real. I then look to the bible and understand that it does say the world does not want to accept Christians and we will face persecution. Therefore I know not to be defeatist when someone refuses to listen to what I have to say. I like using science as evidence for creation. And I just try to be loving to everyone I meet because the best way to defend our faith is to show it in its purest form. Which is love.

Tbf I had never really thought about this question before so the answer isn’t that well developed. It was nice to answer, and I think I will ponder it more.

Thank you so much for your reply.
If you would like to interest yourself in this topic then I suggest checking out yt channels like Cross Examined and people like Frank Turek, Ravi Zacharias, WIlliam Lane Craig
Original post by MiriamL
Oh really? I didn’t know that. I kinda just considered them to be as they read the bible. I know they interpret it in a very different way.

That's the issue [one is the Trinity] and they have an additional text 'discovered' by their founder.
Thank you so much for your reply.
If you would like to interest yourself in this topic then I suggest checking out yt channels like Cross Examined and people like Frank Turek, Ravi Zacharias, WIlliam Lane Craig

Thanks so much, will look at them. How do you defend your faith?
That's the issue [one is the Trinity] and they have an additional text 'discovered' by their founder.

Ah ok. Maybe I should look more into it (just out of interest) because I didn’t know that.
describe a church service
Original post by tinygirl96
describe a church service

A free church service will normally start with a hello from the preacher and them some worship. Worship involves a band playing some music and people singing along and expressing their love for God by raising their hands, dancing, praying. There will be about 4-5 songs (depends on the church) in between the songs one of the singers may say a prayer or a bible passage or a pastor or senior member of the church might. Then after that there will be led prayer, notices about events happening, what to pray for etc. Then there will be a sermon (during this kids go off to kids church). The sermon will last on average 20-40 mins. Then after that there will be more worship and prayer. People may be invited from the congregation, at their own will to say something or share a testimony. Then afterwards people chat, have coffee/cake encourage each other. This is a really rough overview. The whole point of a 'non-conformist' 'free church' is there is absolutely no set way of doing it. This is a generalised version. Some churches may only worship at the beginning, some may not have refreshments, some may not do a kids church. Some churches may every so often have a service where they plan absolutely nothing apart from songs, and as they sing they let the congregation lead the service. Others may plan something, but if at the time something else seems like a better idea, they will then do that. Loads of churches are online at the moment, so if you wanna see more in detail, just find a service on youtube. :smile:
Original post by mo4432
Watch and tell me what u think?

Also I have a few more videos to show to prove Islam is to be the true religion.

Well. It was interesting. Its nice to hear another opinion. Personally, (meaning no hate on Catholics) I am not a massive fan of the way Catholics do church. I feel, as he said, they took a lot of Christianity and made it fit them. However, I don't believe all the statues and windows are idols. Contrary to Islam, we are allowed to depict God. We don't often depict the father, because we can depict the son and spirit. Jesus was sent do we had a form of God we could depict and relate to. The spirit is described as a dove, and as flames, so we can also make imagery of that. One of the biggest things about Christianity that I think Catholics have done is they have stripped the love out of it. Christianity is by no means a religion that has rules to be followed. It has a loving father that is to be worshipped and get to be known. The only command in Christianity that gets you to heaven, is to repent and believe in Jesus. However, Catholics made it about, getting baptised, confirmed, wedded, confession, last rights. All those things that don't need to happen in order for salvation. Similarly, Islam also relies on a lot of rules to be kept to go to heaven. And if God loved us that much he would not make us do that because its impossible to make us do it all. Therefore, I see Christianity as the true religion as its the only true representation of a loving God. In all other religions God says 'do all this and then you can have all of this' in Christianity he says 'Come, look what I have done for you, receive all of this.' I just think Catholics have twisted it.
Thanks again fo the video it was interesting to watch. I like seeing diverse opinions and discussing the true nature of God.
Reply 16
Original post by MiriamL
Well. It was interesting. Its nice to hear another opinion. Personally, (meaning no hate on Catholics) I am not a massive fan of the way Catholics do church. I feel, as he said, they took a lot of Christianity and made it fit them. However, I don't believe all the statues and windows are idols. Contrary to Islam, we are allowed to depict God. We don't often depict the father, because we can depict the son and spirit. Jesus was sent do we had a form of God we could depict and relate to. The spirit is described as a dove, and as flames, so we can also make imagery of that. One of the biggest things about Christianity that I think Catholics have done is they have stripped the love out of it. Christianity is by no means a religion that has rules to be followed. It has a loving father that is to be worshipped and get to be known. The only command in Christianity that gets you to heaven, is to repent and believe in Jesus. However, Catholics made it about, getting baptised, confirmed, wedded, confession, last rights. All those things that don't need to happen in order for salvation. Similarly, Islam also relies on a lot of rules to be kept to go to heaven. And if God loved us that much he would not make us do that because its impossible to make us do it all. Therefore, I see Christianity as the true religion as its the only true representation of a loving God. In all other religions God says 'do all this and then you can have all of this' in Christianity he says 'Come, look what I have done for you, receive all of this.' I just think Catholics have twisted it.
Thanks again fo the video it was interesting to watch. I like seeing diverse opinions and discussing the true nature of God.

No problem but islam just makes a lot of sense I can send u a lot of different videos to prove to u. Also I don’t believe it makes sense for someone jus can go to heaven because of their faith only and not I think theirs a video of a Christian and Muslim debating bout it. It mentions in the video that even in the bible bout u can’t say to a homeless man who is cold and hungry jus to have faith. I think if u study Islam with open mind u get to know it’s the truth.
Original post by MiriamL
A free church service will normally start with a hello from the preacher and them some worship. Worship involves a band playing some music and people singing along and expressing their love for God by raising their hands, dancing, praying. There will be about 4-5 songs (depends on the church) in between the songs one of the singers may say a prayer or a bible passage or a pastor or senior member of the church might. Then after that there will be led prayer, notices about events happening, what to pray for etc. Then there will be a sermon (during this kids go off to kids church). The sermon will last on average 20-40 mins. Then after that there will be more worship and prayer. People may be invited from the congregation, at their own will to say something or share a testimony. Then afterwards people chat, have coffee/cake encourage each other. This is a really rough overview. The whole point of a 'non-conformist' 'free church' is there is absolutely no set way of doing it. This is a generalised version. Some churches may only worship at the beginning, some may not have refreshments, some may not do a kids church. Some churches may every so often have a service where they plan absolutely nothing apart from songs, and as they sing they let the congregation lead the service. Others may plan something, but if at the time something else seems like a better idea, they will then do that. Loads of churches are online at the moment, so if you wanna see more in detail, just find a service on youtube. :smile:

That's not much different to mamy contemporary services at a C of E church.
Original post by mo4432
No problem but islam just makes a lot of sense I can send u a lot of different videos to prove to u. Also I don’t believe it makes sense for someone jus can go to heaven because of their faith only and not I think theirs a video of a Christian and Muslim debating bout it. It mentions in the video that even in the bible bout u can’t say to a homeless man who is cold and hungry jus to have faith. I think if u study Islam with open mind u get to know it’s the truth.

A Christian could say the same to you. I thought Muslims were not meant to preach at others?
Are you interested in studying theology or divinity courses at uni?

I studied theology at undergrad and for one postgrad.
I'm lazy catholic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending