Questions for newcomers:
1. Course name
2. College name
3. A level achieved/predicted grades
4. Subjects being undertaken
5. GCSE grades
6. Why Cambridge?
7. Where else have you applied?

Results day is January 25th, all applicants will receive offers on this day (aside from those applicants given offers pre-interview by Pembroke). For information about how the pool affects this, see the explanation below (provided by @Interea)

The Pool

Got achieved grades? You might qualify for compulsory pooling. See this year's criteria below:

Compulsory Pooling criteria 2020/2021

Best of luck!

Other resources:

Mod note: The forms and documents in this thread are not managed or operated by The Student Room, and are set up by members of the community. Please do take this into account when entering your details into this form. All data you share is at your own risk. If you have any questions, please come and talk to us in Ask The Community Staff.

Decisions thread
Offer form
Offer spreadsheet

Matt Williams on being Rejected (Oxf*rd but still applicable and very good): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIjDn2mEc0E&ab_channel=JesusCollegeOxford

Moderation Note: The sharing of off-site group chats, social media handles and phone numbers is not allowed on TSR to keep our community safe, so please do not share any personal details on the public forum. If you have any questions, please come and talk to us in Ask The Community Staff. You can find more information on staying safe on TSR here.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Concordia27
Reasonable when we had no control over this situation? So if I now decided (and had the ability) to sit the summer exams I'd suddenly be somehow a stronger applicant? I trust the admissions tutors at face value when they said they'd be treated the same as any other year.

There are lots of situations in your life you have no control over, many of which have influenced your chances of getting in. I don't see why "I had no control over it" should matter more when it comes to the government ruining your grades than any of those other factors.

Yes, if you achieved your grades by sitting exams (like normal), they'd be more accurate predictors of your ability to succeed at Cambridge. That said, grades aren't a significant part of your application once you meet the standard offer anyway so I wouldn't be worried about it. Your interview (and possibly assessments) will decide whether you get in or not.
Reply 2
My question would be this though:

I am part of the 2020 A-level cohort. I got CAGs of AAA, but then took Autumn exams for two of my subjects, in which I achieved A*A. So, A*AA, which is the standard offer for my subject.

How will my results be viewed? After all, I sat exams.
Original post by Mikos
My question would be this though:

I am part of the 2020 A-level cohort. I got CAGs of AAA, but then took Autumn exams for two of my subjects, in which I achieved A*A. So, A*AA, which is the standard offer for my subject.

How will my results be viewed? After all, I sat exams.

It's tough to say. I think the university still claims they're viewing them as normal, but that doesn't really make sense. The autumn exams also had the grade inflation issue, but you did at least sit the exams. As above, though, once you've met the standard offer your interview/assessment matters more.
@nexttime (you're a universities FH and apparently online :colondollar:) How are part II threads supposed to work? Thought they created themselves but doesn't seem to have happened
Reply 5
Original post by Theloniouss
It's tough to say. I think the university still claims they're viewing them as normal, but that doesn't really make sense. The autumn exams also had the grade inflation issue, but you did at least sit the exams. As above, though, once you've met the standard offer your interview/assessment matters more.

Honestly I don’t think we were given too much of a handicap. The biology grade boundaries were in between the 2019 and 2018 grade boundaries, and whilst the history grade boundaries were lowered, this can also be attributed to the fact that coursework (which definitely inflates grade boundaries) was removed and also because (in my opinion, and ofc this is subjective) the papers were harder than previous years. It’s kind of difficult to compare the numbers (as far as cumulative attainment goes) because the Autumn exam’s cohort was very atypical.

Having said that some subjects did see otherwise unexplainable inflations (I think chemistry was a big one), so I think the extent of real inflation really depends on the subject. From what Ofqual have said it’s probably a difference of opinion with each subject’s senior examiners.

How universities may or may not take this into account is a mystery, as most institutions will insist that they see the grades the same way, even if they might not.
@nexttime (you're a universities FH and apparently online :colondollar:) How are part II threads supposed to work? Thought they created themselves but doesn't seem to have happened

Nah someone creates them.

Its a bit of a faff as you should probably tag people from the old thread or they won't realise. The old one will be closed.
Original post by nexttime
Nah someone creates them.

Its a bit of a faff as you should probably tag people from the old thread or they won't realise. The old one will be closed.

Oh, rubbish. How come some threads get the "part of a series" tag then?

They haven’t been recently, I don’t know why though :smile:
They get the ‘part of a series’ tag when they’re automatically created I think - don’t know of a manual way to link two threads
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by laurawatt

Ah, thanks
Original post by laurawatt
They get the ‘part of a series’ tag when they’re automatically created I think - don’t know of a manual way to link two threads

Is it possible for we regular folk to create those lists of quotes I've seen VTs and CTs post? Or is it a power reserved for you guys
Hello everybody, welcome to part 2 of the thread. I'll tag everyone who posted in part 1

all of you

Reply 12
Wow that’s a lot of people
Original post by Deggs_14
Wow that’s a lot of people

hahahaha yessir
Howcome there’s a part 2?
omg i was wondering why the old thread had closed :redface:
Maybe the old thread had already exceeded the maximum of 10000 postings? 🤔

Just guessing, anyone can confirm?

Original post by wizkid44
Howcome there’s a part 2?
Original post by CSueS
Maybe the old thread had already exceeded the maximum of 10000 postings? 🤔

Just guessing, anyone can confirm?

Yeah, hit 10001 and shutdown time
Hurray! A level students will go back to school next week. :dance:

CoVid-19, CoVid-19, go away
Can you please go away
A level students want to take exams
COVID-19, COVID-19, please dont spread
Original post by CSueS
Hurray! A level students will go back to school next week. :dance:

CoVid-19, CoVid-19, go away
Can you please go away
A level students want to take exams
COVID-19, COVID-19, please dont spread

I'm so glad we are going back to school :biggrin: My college does 1 one week online and then 1 week in college though (alternating between year 12 and 13).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending