The Student Room Group

Please if you see this can you help me!

Hi, I have applied to 5 of my uni choices already via ucas for medical science/ biomedical science. I have already received offers and it’s past the 14 day change ur choice time period so I can’t change them. I now want to do nursing ( Yh I know a big jump) what do I do???? Do I wait for results day then take a gap year??? Or do I wait for results day then do clearing or adjustment ( as the entry requirements for the subjects I’ve applied to are higher than nursing)????? Or do I wait to get into one of my five unis that also do a nursing course then transfer from medical science to nursing ????? I’m so stuck and Lost honestly. Help anyone !
I can offer much help but maybe email UCAS themselves, they have changed some things for some people past the 14 days once they've emailed them explaining what situation they're in, maybe try the same, or at least ask them for advice on the next steps you can take?
Reply 2
You could try emailing any of your options that also do a nursing course you'd be interested in, and ask if they'd consider a course change (and potentially a replacement personal statement, since yours won't be focused on nursing). They don't have to let you do this, but definitely worth emailing to find out - just be aware you likely won't get a reply for a little while since most uni admissions departments are closed for the holidays.
Reply 3
Hi OP!
First of all well done to you! how amazing - great end to 2020 with the offers

Here are some options of what you could do:

1) Contact UCAS see what they say

2) Go through clearing later in 2021 and see what nursing courses are available (many fill up quickly though so you may not get the uni you want)

3) directly contact admissions at the universities you want to go to and see if there are any places on nursing courses

4) contact the admissions team uni you have chose for your 1st choice and see if there's any way you can somehow swap?

5) take a gap year, enjoy 2021 as much as possible, relax and take a break from academia and prepare for uni and reapply for nursing for next year

6) Complete your degree and then do a masters in nursing (can take 2 years if you've done a health related degree)

Be aware that nursing courses are competitive, do not assume that because your original course asks for less UCAs points that it is easier to get on. You will need to prove you have work experience etc.

Good luck OP

You've got this

Happy Christmas :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Shayneli
Hi, I have applied to 5 of my uni choices already via ucas for medical science/ biomedical science. I have already received offers and it’s past the 14 day change ur choice time period so I can’t change them. I now want to do nursing ( Yh I know a big jump) what do I do???? Do I wait for results day then take a gap year??? Or do I wait for results day then do clearing or adjustment ( as the entry requirements for the subjects I’ve applied to are higher than nursing)????? Or do I wait to get into one of my five unis that also do a nursing course then transfer from medical science to nursing ????? I’m so stuck and Lost honestly. Help anyone !

Don't nursing courses require you to demonstrate commitment via work experience, volunteering etc?
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
Don't nursing courses require you to demonstrate commitment via work experience, volunteering etc?

Not in the sense of "I've spent x amount of weeks on work experience in a nursing home and y amount of time volunteering for the local hospice". Those types of experiences are theoretically great, however unless you can use it to say why you'll make a good nurse and how it demonstrates the 6 Cs, they're completely useless.
My work as a HCA in the operating department at the local hospital was only a small part of my personal statement for nursing degree (mostly for talking about compassion) - I actually worked in being a languages assistant for a year, playing in a brass band, and volunteering for the National Trust to demonstrate commitment, communication and organisational skills more than I did being a HCA.
Original post by Bryonymcn
I can offer much help but maybe email UCAS themselves, they have changed some things for some people past the 14 days once they've emailed them explaining what situation they're in, maybe try the same, or at least ask them for advice on the next steps you can take?

Thank you very much, I haven’t taking any action yet as I didn’t know what action to take, but now I know exactly what I’m going to do. Thank you so much for helping me out. Il try to keep an update on everything
Original post by Interea
You could try emailing any of your options that also do a nursing course you'd be interested in, and ask if they'd consider a course change (and potentially a replacement personal statement, since yours won't be focused on nursing). They don't have to let you do this, but definitely worth emailing to find out - just be aware you likely won't get a reply for a little while since most uni admissions departments are closed for the holidays.

Your amazing, I’m going to do just that as soon as ucas opens again. Hopefully things can still be sorted before the ucas January 15th deadline. Fingers crossed. I’m also going to contact the unis I got offers to. Actually all the unis I got an offer from so far so nursing aswell so I’m going to email them to see if I can change my course. Thank you so much for helping me out honestly
Original post by cmb123
Hi OP!
First of all well done to you! how amazing - great end to 2020 with the offers

Here are some options of what you could do:

1) Contact UCAS see what they say

2) Go through clearing later in 2021 and see what nursing courses are available (many fill up quickly though so you may not get the uni you want)

3) directly contact admissions at the universities you want to go to and see if there are any places on nursing courses

4) contact the admissions team uni you have chose for your 1st choice and see if there's any way you can somehow swap?

5) take a gap year, enjoy 2021 as much as possible, relax and take a break from academia and prepare for uni and reapply for nursing for next year

6) Complete your degree and then do a masters in nursing (can take 2 years if you've done a health related degree)

Be aware that nursing courses are competitive, do not assume that because your original course asks for less UCAs points that it is easier to get on. You will need to prove you have work experience etc.

Good luck OP

You've got this

Happy Christmas :smile:

I don’t know how to thank you for the 6 options you gave me. I’m going to do just that, as soon as everything opens. I pray that I’m able to change. I should have taking my time to thing about what I really wanted to do career wise. But thanks I’m gonna call and email etc as soon as it’s all open. Thank you honestly

Yh, they do but I do have those experiences and skills as before applying for medical science at ucas, I actually wanted to apply to medicine since I was in secondary school so I was part of kids of programmes, task workshops etc but that plan quickly changed when I didn’t choose biology for alevel
Original post by Emily_B
Not in the sense of "I've spent x amount of weeks on work experience in a nursing home and y amount of time volunteering for the local hospice". Those types of experiences are theoretically great, however unless you can use it to say why you'll make a good nurse and how it demonstrates the 6 Cs, they're completely useless.
My work as a HCA in the operating department at the local hospital was only a small part of my personal statement for nursing degree (mostly for talking about compassion) - I actually worked in being a languages assistant for a year, playing in a brass band, and volunteering for the National Trust to demonstrate commitment, communication and organisational skills more than I did being a HCA.

Hi thank you for this, I was planning on doing medicine before I started my alevels but I didn’t choose biology so that went down the drain. I do however have skills and qualities I’ve learnt via being part of medicine programmes aswell as healthcare workshops etc. But what advice would you give me in terms of what type of experience and qualities make a good nurse/midwife and what they look for. Thanks
Yh, they do but I do have those experiences and skills as before applying for medical science at ucas, I actually wanted to apply to medicine since I was in secondary school so I was part of kids of programmes, task workshops etc but that plan quickly changed when I didn’t choose biology for alevel

That's good.

I'm confused about your Biology comment though. You don't need it to apply for Medicine, it just restricts the universities to which you can apply.
That's good.

I'm confused about your Biology comment though. You don't need it to apply for Medicine, it just restricts the universities to which you can apply.

I initially wanted to apply for medicine but I could not even find one university that’s accepts Alevel Chemistry along with Btec applied science ( that’s worth one alevel not 3)
I initially wanted to apply for medicine but I could not even find one university that’s accepts Alevel Chemistry along with Btec applied science ( that’s worth one alevel not 3)

Ah, I understand now.
Reply 14

sorry, this doesn't address your problem directly, but why nursing? your previous choices made me think that you have a passion for science and scientific investigation... there are other medical fields other than Doc/Nurse that involve lots of applications of science in a medical setting, eg radiographer. You might also want to look into Physician Associate agree, which follows the medical (more diagnostic) model -worth a thought if you are pivoting because you would like to do an applied medical science degree. Just thought you might want to consider this before doubling down on nursing which is very care based.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending