The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Chances of getting into LSE without further maths?

I haven’t gotten my predicted grades yet, but I am 100% certain they will either be A*A*A or A*A*A*, in maths, chemistry and economics. In my GCSEs I got 8A*s (including maths & economics), 2 As and a C (in Eng. Lit.).

What would be my chances of getting into LSE to study economics without further maths at A-Level? I go to a private school which offered it - I just didn’t realise how much LSE favoured FM otherwise I would’ve chosen it. Would it just be a wasted application?
Realistically, your chance is next to zero.

Less than 5% of applicants without FM get offers (compared to c.40% of applicants with AS/A level FM), and the vast majority of those 5% will be people who didn’t have the chance to study FM.

I’ve been following the LSE TSR applicants‘ threads since I applied myself in 2016-17, and in all that time I’ve only seen one person get in without FM when their school offered it. And they had a very compelling explanation for why they hadn’t taken it.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I haven’t gotten my predicted grades yet, but I am 100% certain they will either be A*A*A or A*A*A*, in maths, chemistry and economics. In my GCSEs I got 8A*s (including maths & economics), 2 As and a C (in Eng. Lit.).

What would be my chances of getting into LSE to study economics without further maths at A-Level? I go to a private school which offered it - I just didn’t realise how much LSE favoured FM otherwise I would’ve chosen it. Would it just be a wasted application?

Due to the demanding mathematical content of our BSc Economics programme and the level of competition for places, our preference is for applicants who have taken AS/A level Further Maths. This is detailed on our programme page. If you have not taken Further Maths, you will be at a disadvantage. I'm afraid we cannot comment on your chances of admission prior to reviewing a complete UCAS application.

You may wish to consider our joint honours programmes, such as BSc Economics and Economic History, as an alternative.
Original post by LSE
Due to the demanding mathematical content of our BSc Economics programme and the level of competition for places, our preference is for applicants who have taken AS/A level Further Maths. This is detailed on our programme page. If you have not taken Further Maths, you will be at a disadvantage. I'm afraid we cannot comment on your chances of admission prior to reviewing a complete UCAS application.

You may wish to consider our joint honours programmes, such as BSc Economics and Economic History, as an alternative.

Does having AS Further maths instead of a full A level put me at a disadvantage despite getting an A in it?
Reply 4
Original post by TheStressMachime
Does having AS Further maths instead of a full A level put me at a disadvantage despite getting an A in it?

We cannot make this judgement without assessing your complete UCAS application. Your overall subject combination, contextual circumstances and Personal Statement, are all used to form a comprehensive picture of your suitability for this programme in comparison to all other applicants. I would recommend watching the recordings from the Department of Economics Virtual Open Day.
Reply 5
Original post by LSE

Does this also apply to the Philosophy, Politics and Economics course? Does not taking further maths put me at a disadvantage for PPE at LSE?
Reply 6
Original post by Maajid
Does this also apply to the Philosophy, Politics and Economics course? Does not taking further maths put me at a disadvantage for PPE at LSE?

Please see the Entry Requirements section of the BSc Philosophy, Politics and Economics page. An additional qualification in Further Mathematics can be a helpful indication of mathematical ability and useful preparation for the quantitative courses studied on the programme at LSE, but is not a requirement.
Reply 7
Hi, one of my best mates got into LSE with a 3 A* in maths, chemistry and economics, he was head boy at sixth form as well so maybe if you try to gain some additional responsibilities then it’s not impossible, best of luck!
I am taking 4 A levels - Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics - and I am thinking of dropping physics. Will LSE see Maths and Further Maths as two separate A Levels or if I am doing both will I need to do 4 A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending