The Student Room Group

uk covid situation and uni

I am an international who applied for ucas, and got a local student offer from hku. However, due to the uncertainty about the new type of covid, I am thinking of one of these few plans:
1. Still start a degree in UK in Sept 2021.
2. Same as 1, but have virtual lessons in HK for 1-2 semesters, with entry to the UK considered for 2022.
3. Complete the whole 4-year course at HKU, then go to UK for 2 years for a postgraduate degree, expected entry to UK in Sept 2025.
Which plan do you think is the best?
Come to the uk.
This year, international students quarantined for 2 weeks before start of term but after that they’re the same as any other student.
Many unis also have onsite testing and support for those in isolation.
There’s really nothing to worry about, especially since the 2 million infections here are actually only 3% of our population.
And, by Sept 2021 the vaccine roll-out will mean that infections will be minimal.
We are expecting Sept 2021 starters to have a pretty near normal Uni experience.
Original post by 8013
I am an international who applied for ucas, and got a local student offer from hku. However, due to the uncertainty about the new type of covid, I am thinking of one of these few plans:

Depends how much you wish to come to the UK?

1. Still start a degree in UK in Sept 2021. [ situation with CV19 imo has meant the student experience has been severely diminished for most students, especially international ones. Situation by Sept 21 should be improved but unlikely to be back to normal as it takes a long time to vaccinate so many people.]

2. Same as 1, but have virtual lessons in HK for 1-2 semesters, with entry to the UK considered for 20
22.. [ Situation should have improved much more by 22, but by missing the first 2 semesters on site you will also miss out on the student experience and making friends].

3. Complete the whole 4-year course at HKU, then go to UK for 2 years for a postgraduate degree, expected entry to UK in Sept 2025.
Which plan do you think is the best? [ Depends how important coming to the UK to study is? Do you have offers?]

In your situation I would consider applying for 2022 and taking a gap. By that time things should have normalised, and you can get a normal experience as an international student.

As for the new variant, then all viruses mutate and they are still waiting for further information on this one. Other than the speed of transmission, then it is still the same virus and the vaccine will work. Once enough key groups have the vaccine, then the vast majority of fatalities and serious cases will cease. Everyone is waiting to learn more at this stage as its a pretty new announcement. Not sure its been handled well at all from a PR perspective and its sent various groups into hysterics. I will be surpised if in the scheme of things it ends up being a big deal.
Reply 4
I have two HKU offers and another two from UCAS. The other UCAS choices and HK unis are still considering my application.
Original post by 8013
I have two HKU offers and another two from UCAS. The other UCAS choices and HK unis are still considering my application.

You have until June to decide if you want to accept any of your ucas offers. Accepting the offer on ucas doesn’t commit you to starting the course - that only comes when you apply for a visa or pay a deposit on tuition fees/enrol onto the course.

You can accept offers in ucas and from hku at the same time and make a decision closer to the start of the course. Even in non-covid times that’s something a lot of international students do :smile:
Reply 6
Despite fears over the virus, I haven't heard of anyone withdrawing their UCAS applications because of this! However, I know one person who has planned to withdraw his 2021 application and reapply for 2023 entry after he completed an associate's degree (as he got low grades)
I expect some people in my year to focus on local universities for undergraduate degrees and enter the UK for postgraduate studies for 2025 entry, as by then the situation will be back to normal, 100%.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
You have until June to decide if you want to accept any of your ucas offers. Accepting the offer on ucas doesn’t commit you to starting the course - that only comes when you apply for a visa or pay a deposit on tuition fees/enrol onto the course.

You can accept offers in ucas and from hku at the same time and make a decision closer to the start of the course. Even in non-covid times that’s something a lot of international students do :smile:

I got another offer from HKUST yesterday which is a very low offer, three grades below what they expect (A*AA>ABB).
That is the university in HK that I am most willing to go to. If the covid situation is still very bad in August 2021, I will start the 4- year course at HKUST and get an undergraduate degree from there, while heading to the UK in Sep 2025 for postgraduate studies up to around 2027/28. By 2025 literally everyone will have gotten the vaccine and life will be totally back to normal in almost all countries.
Is this a good plan?
Original post by 8013
I got another offer from HKUST yesterday which is a very low offer, three grades below what they expect (A*AA>ABB).
That is the university in HK that I am most willing to go to. If the covid situation is still very bad in August 2021, I will start the 4- year course at HKUST and get an undergraduate degree from there, while heading to the UK in Sep 2025 for postgraduate studies up to around 2027/28. By 2025 literally everyone will have gotten the vaccine and life will be totally back to normal in almost all countries.
Is this a good plan?

That sounds like an excellent backup plan
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
That sounds like an excellent backup plan

So do you think by 2025 it will be back to normal?
Original post by 8013
So do you think by 2025 it will be back to normal?

I hope not. I hope it will be better than pre-covid times. “Normal” wasn’t perfect:wink:
Reply 11
I am quite likely to be vaccinated before the 2021/22 academic year starts. HK is starting to distribute covid vaccines in February and it will take until August for all people aged 16 and over to get the vaccine. So can I come to UK as normal?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending