The Student Room Group

i'm a pagan, AMA

i've seen this done for a few different religious beliefs so i thought i would drop one for paganism as i've seen quite a lot of people ask questions about it

obviously paganism is very broad, and to be clear i'm talking about neo-paganism rather than paganism that christians branded every other religion that is not abrahamic

specifically, i'd call myself a norse pagan but i'm not a huge fan of those intricate labels.

feel free to ask any questions you have (:

Scroll to see replies

Could you describe paganism in one sentence?
What made you decide to practice neo-Paganism? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by summerberry19
Could you describe paganism in one sentence?

this is one of the google definitions of paganism which i think resonates a lot with my religious beliefs "a modern religious movement incorporating beliefs or practices from outside the main world religions, especially nature worship."

however i feel like you might be looking for something more personal, so i'd like to say that for me, paganism is the worship of myself in the pursuit of healing, change, and accessing aspects of myself that have been hidden away.

by that i don't mean i view myself as a goddess, though, haha.
Reply 4
Original post by becausethenight
What made you decide to practice neo-Paganism? :smile:

I was raised Catholic, but i never truly felt connected with the religion at all. i pretty much stopped believing in the catholic/christian god around age nine, and for about 4/5 years i identified as agnostic / atheist.

i was in an abusive relationship when i was 13/14 and experienced a lot of trauma, and was really looking for something to help me heal? in a way, because i found it too difficult to reach out for actual help from like a therapist because i was too scared to speak up about what happened to me. I considered going back to catholicism, but my ex was a so-called catholic and i felt icky about it after that.

one of my friends introduced me to paganism and i really felt free when i started practicing, which was almost 3 years ago now. i don't feel like im bound by excessive rules or restrictions on the person i am, and i feel like my religion guides me in all aspects of life.

however it excessively drains my bank account because i developed an obsession with crystals, heh
Reply 5
there are a lot of small ways to practice my religion, just as in other religions. mainly i like to carry crystals around with me, i meditate often, and i work on my Book of Shadows- which isn't as edgy as it sounds. it's a journal to account for my spiritual journey, but it's just relaxing to decorate.

on the larger scale, i practice divination, although it's not something i do super regularly as it requires quite a lot of energy and set-up. i mostly read tarot cards, but i also cast runes and can read pendulums.

very occasionally i'll do spell work which i know sounds ridiculous to a lot of people but it's more like a ritual to set intention rather than using a wand to turn a frog into a rat or something like that.

i worship my patron goddess who is Sól, the norse goddess of the sun and i also worship Freyja, the norse lady. all of those things ^ contribute to my worship, so i usually ask Sól to guide me in a tarot session for example.
other forms of worship are offerings, and i really like crystals so i usually buy certain crystals to offer to my goddesses. many gods and goddesses in pagan worship have respective elements, herbs, crystals, etc. so i have a lot of amazonite because it correlates with Sól

and no, i do not believe in animal sacrifice. i think it's a bit outdated, but also unrealistic in a modern society. also i'm a vegetarian, LOL. i don't have anything against people who do take part in animal sacrifice as long as they're doing it legally and not putting others in danger by doing so. I don't see the difference in using say, a goat, in animal sacrifice, and killing that goat to eat. either way you're killing an animal.
Reply 6
what do crystals do and what does tarot cards do?

as all religions have rules, what are the main rules of your religion?
Reply 7
Original post by Joleee
what do crystals do and what does tarot cards do?

as all religions have rules, what are the main rules of your religion?

crystals have correlations that people often use to draw those things towards them. common example being rose quartz which people mostly use to attract love in some way. self love, friendship, relationships, etc. you can carry them about with you, meditate with them, sleep with them, etc. whatever you want, really.
my favourite crystal is probably amazonite. great for dealing with mental health and working through difficult patches in life.
i think if you believe that they radiate those energies, they will work. people always question why because i suppose there's no proof that they do, but if i believe they do and i see benefits then i suppose they do work.

tarot is a very broad divination technique, they're often used to gain insight into aspects of life and ask questions. not necessarily in the sense of future telling, but more to gain insight into specific topics or questions. tarot is split into two setions, the major and minor arcanas. cards in the major arcana are huge and point towards changes in life and the direction. cards in the minor arcana are split again into four suits (pentacles/coins, cups/chalices, wands, swords) all of which the suits have their own meanings, but each card also has it's own separate meaning. it's a very difficult topic to explain in so little time, but essentially i use tarot cards to ask questions and gain better insight. my most recent tarot spread was actually asking about university. i was given an offer to the uni of leeds but felt torn because i like the course and modules, but i live in scotland so its very far away and my mum would rather i not go. i asked the cards a question and used a celtic cross spread which is a ten card spread, each placement of the card has an individual relevance to the spread which the meaning of the card is applied to. (god, i hope this makes sense LMAO)

in paganism the rules are very loose because there are different groups of pagan beliefs and different morals. personally, i dont feel like i have specific rules of things i can and cant do. however one thing i prefer to do during tarot sessions is veil (wearing a headscarf) because i believe it protects my head chakra and my energies. also my patron goddess asked for me to do so, but not everyone does that and you can always say no.
in hellenic paganism (the worship of greek gods and goddesses) women who worship and work with hestia are often expected to veil in sort of a similar way to why muslim women wear the hijab, etc. for modesty, but also protection like me.
Do you sacrifice slaves and stuff? Or are you just one of these 'new age' tossers that think European paganism was all about chakras, peace and love, and all that stuff?
(edited 3 years ago)
I see. So not very often. Is it blades and alters or more of a wicca man style set up?
Reply 10
Original post by Akuma
Do you sacrifice slaves and stuff? Or are you just one of these 'new age' tossers that think European paganism was all about chakras, peace and love, and all that stuff?

no, slavery is immoral and most sacrifice in paganism wasn't of humans. if there was i don't know about any of it nor follow those beliefs. and as i said to shak101, i do not support sacrifice at all because im a vegetarian.

also european paganism was never about chakras because chakras come from hinduism.
and yes, i do follow 'new age' paganism because the 'old-age' paganism term comes from christian who labelled everyone who wasnt christian, jewish, or muslim (or other abrahamic religions) as pagan.
neo-paganism refers specifically to the worship of nature and often practicing of witchcraft.

no, i do not practice Wicca. in fact i fairly strongly disagree with Wicca.
Original post by cchloepx
i've seen this done for a few different religious beliefs so i thought i would drop one for paganism as i've seen quite a lot of people ask questions about it

obviously paganism is very broad, and to be clear i'm talking about neo-paganism rather than paganism that christians branded every other religion that is not abrahamic

specifically, i'd call myself a norse pagan but i'm not a huge fan of those intricate labels.

feel free to ask any questions you have (:

Hi! Do you celebrate Christmas or an equivalent holiday? I heard it has Pagan roots.
no, slavery is immoral and most sacrifice in paganism wasn't of humans. if there was i don't know about any of it nor follow those beliefs. and as i said to shak101, i do not support sacrifice at all because im a vegetarian.

also european paganism was never about chakras because chakras come from hinduism.
and yes, i do follow 'new age' paganism because the 'old-age' paganism term comes from christian who labelled everyone who wasnt christian, jewish, or muslim (or other abrahamic religions) as pagan.
neo-paganism refers specifically to the worship of nature and often practicing of witchcraft.

no, i do not practice Wicca. in fact i fairly strongly disagree with Wicca.

I think it's pretty safe to say that your beliefs don't resemble the original European pagans very much then. Druids, for example, used to divine by cutting somebody's liver out and examining the markings. Your ideas seem to be in a christian mould (thy shalt not kill etc), but with a pagan motif.
Reply 13
Original post by katastrophic
Hi! Do you celebrate Christmas or an equivalent holiday? I heard it has Pagan roots.

I celebrate Christmas because my family do and i don't really feel religiously tied to the holiday because we don't do anything related to christianity like going to church on christmas eve or day

christmas has roots in the pagan holiday Yule, which falls on the winter solstice.
i celebrate Yule separately. There are a lot of ways to celebrate but one of the main ways is sort of similar to New Years where you manifest, meditate, can set goals for yourself for the oncoming year, etc. Yule as a holiday celebrates the fact that all days in the future will begin to get lighter. it symbolises change and new beginnings, so it's very similar to the new year in that sense.

in paganism i follow the wheel of the year which is made up of 8 holidays, the lesser sabbats and the greater sabbats. the winter (Yule) and summer (Litha) solstices, and the spring (Ostara- also Eostre and then Easter!) and autumnal (Mabon) equinoxes are all lesser sabbats. greater sabbats are Imbolc, Beltane, Lughnasadh, and Samhain. some believe the year starts after Samhain, but I personally believe my religious year begins after Yule.
Reply 14
Original post by Akuma
I think it's pretty safe to say that your beliefs don't resemble the original European pagans very much then. Druids, for example, used to divine by cutting somebody's liver out and examining the markings. Your ideas seem to be in a christian mould (thy shalt not kill etc), but with a pagan motif.

I never claimed that my beliefs are the exact of 'original European pagans' (which is a very broad and ignorant claim).

I am a Norse pagan and my worship is therefore of the Norse pantheon. there is no bible or book that demands i slaughter innocent people or animals.
My practice also has nothing to do with christianity as i have no christian morals.

my moral compass is my own. i believe i have no right to take the life of a human or animal. that has nothing to do with paganism or christianity, it is my own belief.

i am my own person. my person is not my religion and my religion is not my person.

you clearly do not know much about paganism or neo-paganism. you pretend to by bringing up human sacrifice, but that is not something that happened often nor was it something that happened in all sects of paganism.

'European' paganism is broad. there are many types of European paganism. Greek, Norse and Germanic, Celtic, and Roman, amongst smaller sects elsewhere. It is incredibly ignorant to force the little you know about very old paganism and mold it to huge groups of people and practices.

I will no longer be replying to your complete drivel. Have a nice evening.
I never claimed that my beliefs are the exact of 'original European pagans' (which is a very broad and ignorant claim).

I am a Norse pagan and my worship is therefore of the Norse pantheon. there is no bible or book that demands i slaughter innocent people or animals.
My practice also has nothing to do with christianity as i have no christian morals.

my moral compass is my own. i believe i have no right to take the life of a human or animal. that has nothing to do with paganism or christianity, it is my own belief.

i am my own person. my person is not my religion and my religion is not my person.

you clearly do not know much about paganism or neo-paganism. you pretend to by bringing up human sacrifice, but that is not something that happened often nor was it something that happened in all sects of paganism.

'European' paganism is broad. there are many types of European paganism. Greek, Norse and Germanic, Celtic, and Roman, amongst smaller sects elsewhere. It is incredibly ignorant to force the little you know about very old paganism and mold it to huge groups of people and practices.

I will no longer be replying to your complete drivel. Have a nice evening.

If you truly are your own person, your morals are entirely your own etc then presumably you'd have strongly objected to the behaviour of the pagans even if you lived in pagan times...
dem boy paigon
Reply 17
Do you believe in magic?
heyyy i think thats so cool ive never heard of a pagan before and i just googled it and its interesting !!

what were your families reaction to it? (if you dont mind me asking)
how did you find it? were you told by someone about it?
opinions on satan and satanism?
do you believe in heaven/hell? what do you think will happen after you die? (sorry to be a bit fjjfjfj im just curiousss)
what festivals do you celebrate? ( a wide range or just christian ones bc your family are catholics?) correct me if im wrong i skimmed through the toher answers
do you have any rulings? for example in islam pork is haram, in christianity some believe sex before marriage is wrong.. thoughts? what do you think?

Thanksss
Reply 19
crystals have correlations that people often use to draw those things towards them. common example being rose quartz which people mostly use to attract love in some way. self love, friendship, relationships, etc. you can carry them about with you, meditate with them, sleep with them, etc. whatever you want, really.
my favourite crystal is probably amazonite. great for dealing with mental health and working through difficult patches in life.
i think if you believe that they radiate those energies, they will work. people always question why because i suppose there's no proof that they do, but if i believe they do and i see benefits then i suppose they do work.

tarot is a very broad divination technique, they're often used to gain insight into aspects of life and ask questions. not necessarily in the sense of future telling, but more to gain insight into specific topics or questions. tarot is split into two setions, the major and minor arcanas. cards in the major arcana are huge and point towards changes in life and the direction. cards in the minor arcana are split again into four suits (pentacles/coins, cups/chalices, wands, swords) all of which the suits have their own meanings, but each card also has it's own separate meaning. it's a very difficult topic to explain in so little time, but essentially i use tarot cards to ask questions and gain better insight. my most recent tarot spread was actually asking about university. i was given an offer to the uni of leeds but felt torn because i like the course and modules, but i live in scotland so its very far away and my mum would rather i not go. i asked the cards a question and used a celtic cross spread which is a ten card spread, each placement of the card has an individual relevance to the spread which the meaning of the card is applied to. (god, i hope this makes sense LMAO)

in paganism the rules are very loose because there are different groups of pagan beliefs and different morals. personally, i dont feel like i have specific rules of things i can and cant do. however one thing i prefer to do during tarot sessions is veil (wearing a headscarf) because i believe it protects my head chakra and my energies. also my patron goddess asked for me to do so, but not everyone does that and you can always say no.
in hellenic paganism (the worship of greek gods and goddesses) women who worship and work with hestia are often expected to veil in sort of a similar way to why muslim women wear the hijab, etc. for modesty, but also protection like me.

what is chakra?

do males in paganism have to wear a veil as well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending