The Student Room Group

How do I build a better relationship with God?

Hi, I am 15 years old and a Christian. I am going to be brutally honest here. When I was younger my family was much more religious I got baptised as a baby, but I didn’t complete my holy communion when I was 10 (still not quite sure why). My family stopped going to church around 5 years ago. Still then we’ve all individually maintained our relationships with God. I sometimes pray, not as often as I wish. This year I want to build a better relationship with God, but I don’t know where to start...I’ve been researching and everything seems a bit...overwhelming. Maybe I’m going too fast but I want to take baby steps. Anyone know what I can do?? Any tips??
Worship music, reading the Bible and analysing it. Spending some quiet time with God, and developing a relationship with Him. :smile:
Maybe figure out when you feel closest to God, e.g. for me it’s through worship music

Perhaps find out what style of church (and denomination) suits you best, traditional/modern etc. Many churches are live-streaming or prerecording services on Sundays so you could find one nearby and join? (Don’t worry if your preference in style changes or you don’t settle on one straight away :smile:)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by GCSE_Rockstar32
Worship music, reading the Bible and analysing it. Spending some quiet time with God, and developing a relationship with Him. :smile:

Can you recommend any artists?
Reply 4
Original post by laurawatt
Maybe figure out when you feel closest to God, e.g. for me it’s through worship music

Perhaps find out what style of church (and denomination) suits you best, traditional/modern etc. Many churches are live-streaming or prerecording services on Sundays so you could find one nearby and join? (Don’t worry if your preference in style changes or you don’t settle on one straight away :smile:)

Please may you recommend any artists
Original post by N1o8

These are all quite modern but Elevation, Bethel, Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, Soul Survivor, Kari Jobe are the common main ones.

Marantha Music also has some great compilation albums. I'd definitely recommend any of their "50 greatest worship songs" albums.

Somemore unique, individual artists that I love are Mark Schultz and Cimorelli- who do a range of covers (non worship and worship) and originals- which are a mix of non-worship, worship and songs based on self-love and empowerment. My favourite album of theirs is Alive.

I love to pray to God on walks, it really helps me admire all the beautiful things he created while I chat to him. He makes me more in awe every day :smile:
Original post by N1o8
Please may you recommend any artists

Completely agree with the post above this one, Elevation Worship and Hillsong are my go tos , especially Breathe, Oceans and What a beautiful name (all hillsong) and The Blessing (elevation)
Reply 7
Original post by emlaurenb
These are all quite modern but Elevation, Bethel, Hillsong, Chris Tomlin, Soul Survivor, Kari Jobe are the common main ones.

Marantha Music also has some great compilation albums. I'd definitely recommend any of their "50 greatest worship songs" albums.

Somemore unique, individual artists that I love are Mark Schultz and Cimorelli- who do a range of covers (non worship and worship) and originals- which are a mix of non-worship, worship and songs based on self-love and empowerment. My favourite album of theirs is Alive.

I love to pray to God on walks, it really helps me admire all the beautiful things he created while I chat to him. He makes me more in awe every day :smile:

Ahh thank you so much !!!
Original post by N1o8

Elevation Worship
Hillsong United
TRIBL
Leeland
:smile:
Original post by N1o8
Hi, I am 15 years old and a Christian. I am going to be brutally honest here. When I was younger my family was much more religious I got baptised as a baby, but I didn’t complete my holy communion when I was 10 (still not quite sure why). My family stopped going to church around 5 years ago. Still then we’ve all individually maintained our relationships with God. I sometimes pray, not as often as I wish. This year I want to build a better relationship with God, but I don’t know where to start...I’ve been researching and everything seems a bit...overwhelming. Maybe I’m going too fast but I want to take baby steps. Anyone know what I can do?? Any tips??

Just take some really small baby steps, I’ve basically been through over the past year the same as you. I really love music so I started by listening to worship music a bit everyday, and as I started to like it more, I listened to it more, and now it’s all I listen to! I just don’t get the same feels out of normal music. A little later I also started doing a small bible reading on the bible app, every evening before bed and then a little prayer, I can’t go to sleep without it now and I feel so much closer to God. This week I’ve started doing it in the morning as well, which is my new little step. I think just take your time, the intention is there and God knows that, if you didn’t love him you wouldn’t want to get closer. Ask him for help and he will help you! I’ll pray that you are able to take some steps. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by MiriamL
Just take some really small baby steps, I’ve basically been through over the past year the same as you. I really love music so I started by listening to worship music a bit everyday, and as I started to like it more, I listened to it more, and now it’s all I listen to! I just don’t get the same feels out of normal music. A little later I also started doing a small bible reading on the bible app, every evening before bed and then a little prayer, I can’t go to sleep without it now and I feel so much closer to God. This week I’ve started doing it in the morning as well, which is my new little step. I think just take your time, the intention is there and God knows that, if you didn’t love him you wouldn’t want to get closer. Ask him for help and he will help you! I’ll pray that you are able to take some steps. :smile:

Thank you for replying! It is a coincidence that I am also getting into gospel music and using the bible every evening?? 🤣🤣
Original post by N1o8
Thank you for replying! It is a coincidence that I am also getting into gospel music and using the bible every evening?? 🤣🤣

Aha that’s really funny 😂. but good that you’re getting closer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending