The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature Revision

Hey! Can anyone share any tips for AQA English literature revision? My mocks are on the 11th and need help revising. The 2 texts we will be tested on is 'A Christmas Carol' and 'An Inspector Calls'
Also, how should I structure my revision for it? What shall I prioritise?
Your help would be appreciated!
(edited 3 years ago)
tell me more
Original post by HK2020
Hey! Can anyone share any tips for English literature revision? My mocks are on the 11th and need help revising. The 2 texts we will be tested on is 'A Christmas Carol' and 'An Inspector Calls'

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/english-revision/gcse-aqa/

thank me later
Reply 3
Are you on Aqa?
Original post by mxx454
Are you on Aqa?

Yes my exam board is AQA
Original post by HK2020
Thank you!

:biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by HK2020
Yes my exam board is AQA

What i did for english lit is watch youtube videos and make mind maps of all the main characters and themes. I watched mr bruff’s youtube videos and he does character analysis’s and themes so i’d do notes from him. Then i watched stacey reay and she does really detailed analysis with some grade 7/8/9 analysis so i would use these + mr bruff’s notes and make mind maps on every main theme and character. Once i had all these mind maps i would memorise all of the quotes for each theme/character and its analysis then use them to make essay plans. For poetry i did the same thing, but put my notes with structure/language analysis with quotes and context onto flashcards. Then i’d memorise all of these and write some more essay plans linking different poems together based on themes. (e.g poppies with war photographer).
Original post by mxx454
What i did for english lit is watch youtube videos and make mind maps of all the main characters and themes. I watched mr bruff’s youtube videos and he does character analysis’s and themes so i’d do notes from him. Then i watched stacey reay and she does really detailed analysis with some grade 7/8/9 analysis so i would use these + mr bruff’s notes and make mind maps on every main theme and character. Once i had all these mind maps i would memorise all of the quotes for each theme/character and its analysis then use them to make essay plans. For poetry i did the same thing, but put my notes with structure/language analysis with quotes and context onto flashcards. Then i’d memorise all of these and write some more essay plans linking different poems together based on themes. (e.g poppies with war photographer).

Thank you!
Original post by HK2020
Hey! Can anyone share any tips for AQA English literature revision? My mocks are on the 11th and need help revising. The 2 texts we will be tested on is 'A Christmas Carol' and 'An Inspector Calls'
Also, how should I structure my revision for it? What shall I prioritise?

My advise is as follows ( I got full marks in both lit and Lang English alevels):
Firstly know your texts, and the timeline of the story- this makes it super easy to reference different parts in your essays (just re read both texts before the exams to accomplish this)
Then know your context- ie when was it written, why was it written, and a bit about the author- this is very very important in A Christmas Carol, and is what separates the grade 7s and grade 9s.
Then I would gather lots of quotations, and learn them- quizlet being the best (it will take you a while to set it up but then after that it’s the best resource)
Then finally prepare some essays- just plan them using practice questions but try to learn which quotations go with which etc...
Good luck!!!
Original post by jmadghost
My advise is as follows ( I got full marks in both lit and Lang English alevels):
Firstly know your texts, and the timeline of the story- this makes it super easy to reference different parts in your essays (just re read both texts before the exams to accomplish this)
Then know your context- ie when was it written, why was it written, and a bit about the author- this is very very important in A Christmas Carol, and is what separates the grade 7s and grade 9s.
Then I would gather lots of quotations, and learn them- quizlet being the best (it will take you a while to set it up but then after that it’s the best resource)
Then finally prepare some essays- just plan them using practice questions but try to learn which quotations go with which etc...
Good luck!!!

Thank you! Very helpful :smile:
Sorry for all this, but does anyone have any tips on essay writing? Like, on how to make it fluent, how to write one efficiently and how to structure it? I'm mainly finding it hard to write down my thoughts on paper, and how to make my paragraphs and writing sound cohesive Hope you know what I mean and once again, sorry for all this..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending