The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy Pre-registration

Does anyone know if we apply for student finance for this course under the undergraduate 'MSc Speech and Language Therapy pre-registration' listing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, where is your application for and where are you coming from? I am an Irish student applying to QMU and I'm wondering the same thing.
Reply 2
Original post by hns21
Hi, where is your application for and where are you coming from? I am an Irish student applying to QMU and I'm wondering the same thing.

Hiya, I’m applying to City and Reading! I’m from London :-)
Original post by scr26
Does anyone know if we apply for student finance for this course under the undergraduate 'MSc Speech and Language Therapy pre-registration' listing?

Are you sure the course is undergraduate? Usually MSc courses are postgraduate (unless they specify integrated MSc).
Reply 4
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Are you sure the course is undergraduate? Usually MSc courses are postgraduate (unless they specify integrated MSc).

I believe it's because it's a healthcare course and not a typical masters lasting only 1 year... it's a 2 year course (if i pass lol)
Original post by scr26
I believe it's because it's a healthcare course and not a typical masters lasting only 1 year... it's a 2 year course (if i pass lol)

Can you link me to the course page? The advice I can give depends on the exact course really. As I say, MSc courses are usually for those studying SLT after completing a first degree.
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Can you link me to the course page? The advice I can give depends on the exact course really. As I say, MSc courses are usually for those studying SLT after completing a first degree.

https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/speech-and-language-therapy-pg/msc-speech-and-language-therapy.aspx

https://www.city.ac.uk/study/courses/postgraduate/speech-and-language-therapy

I am trying to apply to these courses above ^

I was correct, both courses are postgraduate level and require you to have a previous degree in order to apply. You will need to check with Student Finance, as you are definitely entitled to the postgraduate loan, but may be entitled to another round of undergraduate-style funding due to it being a healthcare course.
Hello all,
I’m hoping to apply for the Speech and language masters course for 2022 as I suffer from dysphagia and would like to help children who also have this.

I’m currently working full time in admin and want to save some money and improve my confidence before I head back into education.

I did an undergraduate degree in BSc Human nutrition & graduated in 2019 with a 2.1

I’m thinking to apply to UCL and City, but I’m not sure if any other London universities also provide a masters in the course?

Can anyone let me know what sort of work experience I need for the course?

Here an outline of some experience I have from my undergraduate:

Worked in a clinical feeding unit in a children’s hospital for more than a year, (making feeds for children who are chronically ill & some cannot swallow solid foods)

Worked in an adult hospital for 3 months to sort out allergens matrix and sorted recipes for adults on special diets.

Work experience in a primary school for a week as a teaching assistant.

I plan to shadow a speech and language therapist for a day

And to also gain a week of work experience in a special needs school (hopefully when schools open again).

Can anyone recommend how I can make application stand out for the future and if I need any more experience?
Reply 9
Original post by scr26
Hiya, I’m applying to City and Reading! I’m from London :-)

Did you end up going to either City or Reading? And how are you finding your chosen uni
Reply 10
Original post by aaaxo
Did you end up going to either City or Reading? And how are you finding your chosen uni

I ended up choosing City! I am finding it great. The lecturers are brilliant. So far, it is just the right amount of F2F teaching and online teaching. Hoping it will stay like this as it is working nicely for a lot of us in my cohort.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by scr26
I ended up choosing City! I am finding it great. The lecturers are brilliant. So far, it is just the right amount if F2F teaching and online teaching. Hoping it will stay like this as it is working nicely for a lot of us in my cohort.

Ah can you tell me more pls, its my first choice! How is the environment like and how are the people?
Reply 12
Original post by scr26
I ended up choosing City! I am finding it great. The lecturers are brilliant. So far, it is just the right amount if F2F teaching and online teaching. Hoping it will stay like this as it is working nicely for a lot of us in my cohort.

Also do you reckon it'll be online next year too?
Reply 13
Original post by aaaxo
Ah can you tell me more pls, its my first choice! How is the environment like and how are the people?

The people are all lovely. The campus is nice too! The library is big and there’s 110 of us in total. However, we are split into smaller groups of 8 of us which is great.
Reply 14
Original post by aaaxo
Also do you reckon it'll be online next year too?

I hope so! Not sure though. Depends on COVID-19 and any variants.
Reply 15
Original post by scr26
The people are all lovely. The campus is nice too! The library is big and there’s 110 of us in total. However, we are split into smaller groups of 8 of us which is great.

Ah thats reassuring, i wasn't sure about it but now i think i might go for it. Thank you!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by scr26

Hi, that's great to hear such good things about City - I have an offer there for the MSc starting Sept 22 and have an interview at UCL as well - do you know much about the differences between the two courses, placements, etc? Thanks, Jules
Original post by Jules117
Hi, that's great to hear such good things about City - I have an offer there for the MSc starting Sept 22 and have an interview at UCL as well - do you know much about the differences between the two courses, placements, etc? Thanks, Jules

Hey Jules!

Saw you'd been offered a place at City and an interview at UCL - congrats :smile:

Just wondering what experience you have and any tips on what you put into your personal statement.

I'm a bit late in deciding but I'll be applying for Sep 2021. Just wondering if you could give me some advice since you've been successfully accepted for one already.

Thanks in advance
Original post by jordannbolger
Hey Jules!

Saw you'd been offered a place at City and an interview at UCL - congrats :smile:

Just wondering what experience you have and any tips on what you put into your personal statement.

I'm a bit late in deciding but I'll be applying for Sep 2021. Just wondering if you could give me some advice since you've been successfully accepted for one already.

Thanks in advance

Hi
Good luck with your applications! In my experience, the unis are brilliant at telling you exactly what they are looking for and if you prepare the PS and for the interviews by researching the uni, the course, and the career options thoroughly, you will be well-prepared I'm sure. Each course is slightly different and it's about finding the best fit for you and for them. Good luck! Jules
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could share any advise please.

I am interested to apply for next year's MSc SLT course in UCL or City but I would like to know what are my chances of being a strong enough candidate as I understand it's highly competitive.

Qualification: I hold a BSc in Human Nutrition, 2.1

My following work experience:
Working in a clinical feed unit for sick children - Great Ormond Street Hospital
Teaching assistant in a primary school - one week
Volunteering at St Francis Hospice
Shadowing an SLT (TBC)

Personal experience: Suffering from mild dysphagia and taking barium meal in hospital (fluoroscopic procedure)

Do you think it's still worth me applying?

A little bit of my background: I’m currently 24 and working in admin at a hospital. Whilst the job is not stressful and ok pay it’s the long term progression which I’m worried about.
I observed the various clinics held in the hospital and I want to think about my long term career route. I’ve becoming fascinated with SLT.

Also when do you think I should start writing the personal statement?
The course for 2023 opens In September 2022.

If anybody could share with me their story/ experience, that would help me a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest