The Student Room Group

Art GCSE

I'm currently in Year 9 and I'm thinking about taking art GCSE? I enjoy art and overall recieve merits for most of my school work. Would you recommend art GCSE, why or why not. I want to become an architect and I really enjoy this subject but people say don't do it? Thanks
why do people not recommend it? if you enjoy art you should definitely do it! it'll help with your career path for becoming an architect too
I have spoke to a lot of people about this before and I found that if you like it and want to do it as a job you will enjoy it much more then someone who does art as a hobby. I would say go for it since you want to be and architect and I wish you luck !
I did gcse art, and it is a lot of work! to do well you need to be motivated from the start. However, it is a fun subject if you enjoy art, and if you are already doing well it will suit you. I definitely think you should take it on if you want to do architecture, it will really develop your skills. Dont let other people put you off, it is a really good subject and a great creativity outlet for the stress of gcse exams. It is only a bad subject if you let the work pile up.
Reply 4
Original post by raquelthestudent
I did gcse art, and it is a lot of work! to do well you need to be motivated from the start. However, it is a fun subject if you enjoy art, and if you are already doing well it will suit you. I definitely think you should take it on if you want to do architecture, it will really develop your skills. Dont let other people put you off, it is a really good subject and a great creativity outlet for the stress of gcse exams. It is only a bad subject if you let the work pile up.

thank you so much! you dont know how much this helps! do you have any advice on balancing the large workload?
Original post by nxomii.
thank you so much! you dont know how much this helps! do you have any advice on balancing the large workload?

glad I could be of some help! personally, I wrote out a big list of what work I knew needed to be submitted, or completed by the end of term and then I could cross it out as I finished it. Also, it helps if you know exactly what your coursework should look like, so I'd recommend looking up other people's on youtube etc. If you have a day where you have a lighter workload, try designate a few hours to work on it then. Do not do your work the night before it is due (you probably already knew that though.) If your school offers any lunch or after school art clubs, try to attend them - art teachers will be able to help you and being in an art space really helps to motivate. Finally, for every piece of art you do, note how long it took you, what mediums you used, what was the inspiration (for example a particular art style) and what you like and dislike about it. Most exam boards want to see that sort of thing, so I'd strongly advise doing it from the start. Sorry if that was a bit of a ramble, all the best to you!
Reply 6
Original post by raquelthestudent
glad I could be of some help! personally, I wrote out a big list of what work I knew needed to be submitted, or completed by the end of term and then I could cross it out as I finished it. Also, it helps if you know exactly what your coursework should look like, so I'd recommend looking up other people's on youtube etc. If you have a day where you have a lighter workload, try designate a few hours to work on it then. Do not do your work the night before it is due (you probably already knew that though.) If your school offers any lunch or after school art clubs, try to attend them - art teachers will be able to help you and being in an art space really helps to motivate. Finally, for every piece of art you do, note how long it took you, what mediums you used, what was the inspiration (for example a particular art style) and what you like and dislike about it. Most exam boards want to see that sort of thing, so I'd strongly advise doing it from the start. Sorry if that was a bit of a ramble, all the best to you

thank you so much!!!

Quick Reply

Latest