The Student Room Group

Moving from double science to triple science???

If someone from triple science does not want to do triple science and does double science, does that mean someone from double science can take their place and do triple science?
Original post by Hk479
If someone from triple science does not want to do triple science and does double science, does that mean someone from double science can take their place and do triple science?

Probably not.
You need to ask your school directly.
No. If you go from triple to double it is easier as less content is needed ( from what they have learnt ) but double to triple is really hard as you have to learn everything again in more depth and several new topics as well. It normally depends on your year group though and ability.
Original post by Hk479

I'd switch to Triple Sciences as soon ASAP. It's so much better and more useful in the long-term that Double Sciences.
Original post by Vetrix42
I'd switch to Triple Sciences as soon ASAP. It's so much better and more useful in the long-term that Double Sciences.

Not really
Original post by glassalice
Not really

Yes it is. If you want to take a science at A-Level you will already have more knowledge than someone that does Double Science. For example, in Double Science AQA you don't cover Astrophysics and therefore in AQA A-Level Physics you won't have prior knowledge you need for Chapter 19 & Chapter 23 which is about Circular Motion and Motion of Satellites etc. Furthermore, if you are weak at one science within double science it will hinder your overall grade in double sciences.
Yes it is. If you want to take a science at A-Level you will already have more knowledge than someone that does Double Science. For example, in Double Science AQA you don't cover Astrophysics and therefore in AQA A-Level Physics you won't have prior knowledge you need for Chapter 19 & Chapter 23 which is about Circular Motion and Motion of Satellites etc. Furthermore, if you are weak at one science within double science it will hinder your overall grade in double sciences.

Some people don't wish to pursue science beyond GCSE.
I thought A-Level science subjects only assumed prior knowledge from double science, not triple.
Reply 7

That's what I was thinking because I've been put into double science but I know I am more than capable of doing triple science.
Reply 8
Original post by Cheesecake04
No. If you go from triple to double it is easier as less content is needed ( from what they have learnt ) but double to triple is really hard as you have to learn everything again in more depth and several new topics as well. It normally depends on your year group though and ability.

is it possible though to move from double to triple?
Original post by Hk479
is it possible though to move from double to triple?

Of course, but as @glassalice said, you’d normally need to ask your school directly.

Yes it is. If you want to take a science at A-Level you will already have more knowledge than someone that does Double Science..

Not really. You pretty much relearn all of the content at AS level.
It’s advised to do triple before any A level sciences but it’s not always necessary. If you can get a high grade ( 9-9 ) in science for double, or even 6-6, you’ll find A level sciences good, you might need to work a little harder but most of the content is relearnt from scratch.
Reply 11
Original post by CaptainDuckie
It’s advised to do triple before any A level sciences but it’s not always necessary. If you can get a high grade ( 9-9 ) in science for double, or even 6-6, you’ll find A level sciences good, you might need to work a little harder but most of the content is relearnt from scratch.

Ok, thank you. I'll speak to my school about it and see if they can do anything to help.

Quick Reply

Latest