The Student Room Group

Crashing into oncoming car

Just driving home from work this evening, and as I was driving a load of water fell onto my windscreen, presumably from a tree as it was windy. This surprised me a little, and I accidentally started to swerve onto the other side of the road in oncoming traffic. Unfortunately I hit another car coming towards me, quite badly from the looks of it. I panicked and drove off. I've learnt from previous mistakes and have filed a report to the police and will contact my insurers as soon as, but should I be worried? Also who should I go to have my car fixed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dinosaur27
Just driving home from work this evening, and as I was driving a load of water fell onto my windscreen, presumably from a tree as it was windy. This surprised me a little, and I accidentally started to swerve onto the other side of the road in oncoming traffic. Unfortunately I hit another car coming towards me, quite badly from the looks of it. I panicked and drove off. I've learnt from previous mistakes and have filed a report to the police and will contact my insurers as soon as, but should I be worried? Also who should I go to have my car fixed?

This makes no sense, you crashed into someone on the other side of the road then drove off?
Reply 2
Original post by RoyalSheepy
This makes no sense, you crashed into someone on the other side of the road then drove off?

It was a single carriageway. We crashed, stopped for second then I panicked and drive off. Lots of witnesses which is why I'm scared.
It was a single carriageway. We crashed, stopped for second then I panicked and drive off. Lots of witnesses which is why I'm scared.

See, I'm struggling to believe this story a bit unless you're missing something out. How can you have a head-on collision and still drive off?

Anyways, expect to get reported; driving from a scene of an accident is a crime.
What was the damage like?
Reply 5

You're the charming person who rammed a car in a car park then drove off without leaving your details, splashed a pedestrian driving through a puddle of water at speed, and ran over a cat, aren't you?

Have you thought about handing your licence back to the DVLA at all?

Yes you’ve committed a crime.
Leaving the scene is a hugely serious offense.

I suggest you hand yourself in & explain you panicked but want to resolve, id imagine the other driver has contacted the police. Better to go to them then them come to you.
Reply 7
Original post by RoyalSheepy
See, I'm struggling to believe this story a bit unless you're missing something out. How can you have a head-on collision and still drive off?

Anyways, expect to get reported; driving from a scene of an accident is a crime.

It wasn't so much head on, more just the right front headlight that is smashed as well as the bodywork surrounding it.
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
Yes you’ve committed a crime.
Leaving the scene is a hugely serious offense.

I suggest you hand yourself in & explain you panicked but want to resolve, id imagine the other driver has contacted the police. Better to go to them then them come to you.

What are the consequences? I've a already filed an online report.
What are the consequences? I've a already filed an online report.

“What sentence could you face?

Failing to stop if you have been involved in an accident is a serious offence and is generally treated as such by the Magistrates’ Court. Depending on the seriousness of the circumstances in your case, your courts powers to punish you include:

A fine of up to £5,000
5 10 penalty points
A potential driving ban
A prison sentence of up to 6 months”
Reply 10
Original post by GabiAbi84
“What sentence could you face?

Failing to stop if you have been involved in an accident is a serious offence and is generally treated as such by the Magistrates’ Court. Depending on the seriousness of the circumstances in your case, your courts powers to punish you include:

A fine of up to £5,000
5 10 penalty points
A potential driving ban
A prison sentence of up to 6 months”

So which one would apply to me? I can't seriously be going to prison??

That’s not for me to assess
Reply 12
Original post by IWMTom
You're the charming person who rammed a car in a car park then drove off without leaving your details, splashed a pedestrian driving through a puddle of water at speed, and ran over a cat, aren't you?

Have you thought about handing your licence back to the DVLA at all?

I actually find you a bit passive aggressive. I'm scared witless and all you can do is make snide comments. Was supposed to be driving out to town tomorrow to buy a new bin, suppose it won't happen now.
Reply 13

I love how you're more concerned about a potential prison sentence than all the other people you've ****ed over in your short time driving...
Reply 14
I actually find you a bit passive aggressive. I'm scared witless and all you can do is make snide comments. Was supposed to be driving out to town tomorrow to buy a new bin, suppose it won't happen now.

I actually find you reckless and dangerous on the roads.

You've crashed twice, both times fleeing the scene of the accident. You've drenched a poor pedestrian and didn't bother to stop. You ran over a cat and couldn't give a toss.

Why should we pay you any respect after all of that? AND THATS JUST WHAT YOU'VE POSTED ON TSR!
Reply 15
What car is yours?
What car was it you crashed into?
Were they vehicles with a lot of value?
Reply 16
Original post by Benter7
What car is yours?
What car was it you crashed into?
Were they vehicles with a lot of value?

I'm Toyota Yaris 2007
Other car was white Mercedes Benz

how much would the repair cost for broken right headlight and lots of surrounding damage?
Reply 17
I'm Toyota Yaris 2007

how much would the repair cost for broken right headlight and lots of surrounding damage?

Ask your insurer when you call them to report the collision.
I'm Toyota Yaris 2007

Why is that what you’re bothered about and not the illegal hit and run you committed???

(Also I just read your post about running over a cat so I’m pretty steamed at you-I hope you get the maximum penalty)
Reply 19
I'm Toyota Yaris 2007

Maybe £50 repairing the yaris if it is just the head light.
If the damage was bad on the Mercedes that is probably a few thousand unfortunately

Did the driver see you?

Latest