The Student Room Group

Mocks in a month help!!!!!!

Ok so I have NEVER done ANY revision before and I want to get AAA for my mocks (I'm doing physics maths and business) and I have 50 days. 50. WHAT DO I DO?!?!?

for these tests recently I've been getting like B and C without revision but I DONT KNOW HOW TO REVISE.

I have UpLearn for maths and physics so I will start using it but IM FREAKING OUT. like what am I supposed to do?!?!

Is 50 days too short to learn all your content? Also I'm not even going to school anymore so I'm all by myself.

Please someone help me!!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the_icy_goldfish
Ok so I have NEVER done ANY revision before and I want to get AAA for my mocks (I'm doing physics maths and business) and I have 50 days. 50. WHAT DO I DO?!?!?

for these tests recently I've been getting like B and C without revision but I DONT KNOW HOW TO REVISE.

I have UpLearn for maths and physics so I will start using it but IM FREAKING OUT. like what am I supposed to do?!?!

Is 50 days too short to learn all your content? Also I'm not even going to school anymore so I'm all by myself.

Please someone help me!!

P.s whoever replies to this will someday be a billionaire XD

Stop trying to make up stupid hallucinations "P.s whoever replies to this will someday be a billionaire"

You have to study every day now. Do not take a break like have a 2 mins break but that is it. 50 days is very short to cover all of the content for physics, maths and business. If I were you, what I would do is to make a goal for 1 week of what you will do for the 3 subjects. If I started right now and I made a goal for what I will do until 10/1/21 I would go over section 1, section2, Section 3 for each subject then make a goal for 20/1/21 of practising each subject. This is a very crucial moment for you as these A levels are so important as you do not know what can happen in the future.

Please someone help me!!

Also, these are the sites I recommend you:
Save my exam - Maths and Physics it is so good like it got me all 7-9 in my science
Maths Genie- A level
I do not know about business as everything is limited in business.

Please someone help me!!

Physics and Maths will be so easy as you have to also do practice question to adapt to the technique. I do not know about your business structure, so I can not help with that.
Original post by 2939HIHI
Stop trying to make up stupid hallucinations "P.s whoever replies to this will someday be a billionaire"

lmao it was irony

Please someone help me!!

Best maths resource: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main
so the obvious make goals and use practice questions

DO NOT work non stop with no breaks - you will burn out and it won't work. Try using the pomodoro method

Start with yr12 stuff and things that youre not great at. Chances are if you got a B with no revision you'll get As with some revision

You have to study every day now. Do not take a break like have a 2 mins break but that is it. 50 days is very short to cover all of the content for physics, maths and business. If I were you, what I would do is to make a goal for 1 week of what you will do for the 3 subjects. If I started right now and I made a goal for what I will do until 10/1/21 I would go over section 1, section2, Section 3 for each subject then make a goal for 20/1/21 of practising each subject. This is a very crucial moment for you as these A levels are so important as you do not know what can happen in the future.

thank you for being so honest and thank you for the advice about structure! and yes, if Corona wasn't a thing I probably wouldn't have cared so much but I have no idea what's going to happen with alevels.

and thank you! I will use these sites, just wondering, did you do physics and maths alevel? you're actually the first person who has said physics is easy, so I'll be sure to take your advice!
(edited 3 years ago)
also how many hours a day or week should I revise for per subject, do you recommend?
Original post by cactussalad
so the obvious make goals and use practice questions

DO NOT work non stop with no breaks - you will burn out and it won't work. Try using the pomodoro method

Start with yr12 stuff and things that youre not great at. Chances are if you got a B with no revision you'll get As with some revision

yes!! everyone is saying practice questions, so I will be sure to do that! just wondering, why wouldn't you recommend working non stop?

thanks for the advice, I will be sure to follow it, how many hours do you suggest I revise for a day?

omg I just had a look and this now and it looks so good!! thanks!!
thank you for being so honest and thank you for the advice about structure! and yes, if Corona wasn't a thing I probably wouldn't have cared so much but I have no idea what's going to happen with alevels.

and thank you! I will use these sites, just wondering, did you do physics and maths alevel? you're actually the first person who has said physics is easy, so I'll be sure to take your advice!

Well, it depends on each person you know. I find it easy as I understand it very well. You need to motivate yourself, you need to wake up every day and you have to trick your brain into liking the subject and finding it easy with the subject. I find it easy, but you may not find it, perhaps you find business easy, but I do not.
Well, it depends on each person you know. I find it easy as I understand it very well. You need to motivate yourself, you need to wake up every day and you have to trick your brain into liking the subject and finding it easy with the subject. I find it easy, but you may not find it, perhaps you find business easy, but I do not.

ok yeah that makes sense. I enjoy physics and find physics easier than other subjects but I hate maths and I've always found it harder, like I make mistakes so easily, it's so frustrating! how can you trick your brain into liking it? I find it so hard to find motivation especially nowadays, like life is really tough for me right now, all I want to do is sleep but I know how important these grades are.
yes!! everyone is saying practice questions, so I will be sure to do that! just wondering, why wouldn't you recommend working non stop?

thanks for the advice, I will be sure to follow it, how many hours do you suggest I revise for a day?

Take breaks but take like 5 mins. The reason I recommend working non-stop is that you have 50 days left! Your work will build up and build up and when the exam day comes you will feel screwed. I will suggest wake up every morning do work, have a 5 mins break. Do eat and keep yourself healthy. For example, if I were you and I worked on Section 1 for each subject from 6 am to 8 pm with 5 mins break then hang out with your family and do whatever. Also, if you feel like going to the toilet, go then come back. For me, I do not have a timer I just finish it whenever I can. If you want to have a timer it is fine, so if you do have one you have to figure it out for your self as some people like to study for 5 hr straight with full concentration, but some with 1hr full concentration. Work with the timer you want.
omg I just had a look and this now and it looks so good!! thanks!!

Work through each PPT - practising the questions as you go.

Why are you self-studying?
ok yeah that makes sense. I enjoy physics and find physics easier than other subjects but I hate maths and I've always found it harder, like I make mistakes so easily, it's so frustrating! how can you trick your brain into liking it? I find it so hard to find motivation especially nowadays, like life is really tough for me right now, all I want to do is sleep but I know how important these grades are.

In maths, you need to watch videos this is why I say to get Save My exam as you see Save My Exam goes through sciences and maths. They provide videos for each math question like for everything. If you struggle on a question, they can go through it on a video. In Maths, I recommend reading the question so carefully like there are tricks everywhere in that question. Maths is all about practising as I get 8 in maths. One of my friends, they get 5 and they take maths the reason is that she always goes through the same questions that is why she can not adapt to each exam question because she keeps on revisiting the questions she did on her book and then copying it out again on her other book. My advice to you is going through each exam question on Maths especially the hard ones with the hard ones you can get used to the easy ones. Also, you need a membership to get into Save my exam as you need to pay £5 each month for 1 year.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79
Work through each PPT - practising the questions as you go.

Why are you self-studying?

my dad has cancer so he's really vulnerable so i can't go to school as it's too dangerous
my dad has cancer so he's really vulnerable so i can't go to school as it's too dangerous

Surely you can access online lessons?
In maths, you need to watch videos this is why I say to get Save My exam as you see Save My Exam goes through sciences and maths. They provide videos for each math question like for everything. If you struggle on a question, they can go through it on a video. In Maths, I recommend reading the question so carefully like there are tricks everywhere in that question. Maths is all about practising as I get 8 in maths. One of my friends, they get 5 and they take maths the reason is that she always goes through the same questions that is why she can not adapt to each exam question because she keeps on revisiting the questions she did on her book and then copying it out again on her other book. My advice to you is going through each exam question on Maths especially the hard ones with the hard ones you can get used to the easy ones. Also, you need a membership to get into Save my exam as you need to pay £5 each month for 1 year.

thank you, this made so so much sense. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me all this advice by the way. have you done your alevels?
Original post by Muttley79
Surely you can access online lessons?

it's quite complicated but like I do get some online lessons but it's maybe 1 hour a day on average across three subjects, and then PowerPoints sent to me so face to face teaching is very little. and honestly the PowerPoints of the lessons they send aren't even that good. I've come to terms with self-studying now, I just want to make sure to utilise the time I have now well.

Quick Reply

Latest