The Student Room Group

A level advice

i'm currently about to apply for a levels after having a long think

here are my options
OPTION 1 : MATHS, BUSINESS, HISTORY,PSYCHOLOGY
I will then within 3 months of year 12, drop one subject depending on difficulty and GCSE RESULTS

OPTION 2: (I’m a bit unsure) CHEMISTRY, BIOLOGY, MATH OR BUSINESS
Ideally going into medicine or pharmacy

please let me know about any opinions or ideas

thanks
If you want to go into medicine than option 2 would be a wiser choice. I think doing 4 a levels will also perhaps be unnecessary as no unis require 4 a levels.
Option 1 has 2 facilitating subjects whereas a option 2 has 3. Do some research on facilitating subjects
Original post by Student100020
If you want to go into medicine than option 2 would be a wiser choice. I think doing 4 a levels will also perhaps be unnecessary as no unis require 4 a levels.

thanks for your reply and i'll do some research on facilitating subjects now
I think my best advice is do something you enjoy whilst keeping in mind what is realistic and will help you most with a career/getting into uni.
I don’t know what your situation is but bear in mind it’s very difficult to get into medicine (I’m not doing it but know a few people that do) - you have to do the BMAT or UKCAT or both depending on which unis you want to apply to, your grades must be excellent and I’m pretty sure a lot of unis also require you do an interview.
I did chem, bio, physics and maths at a level and can honestly say I loved doing all the sciences (maths teaching at my school wasn’t that great so I didn’t really enjoy maths) so if you have any specific questions about the subjects ask away!
Original post by SusannaW
I think my best advice is do something you enjoy whilst keeping in mind what is realistic and will help you most with a career/getting into uni.
I don’t know what your situation is but bear in mind it’s very difficult to get into medicine (I’m not doing it but know a few people that do) - you have to do the BMAT or UKCAT or both depending on which unis you want to apply to, your grades must be excellent and I’m pretty sure a lot of unis also require you do an interview.
I did chem, bio, physics and maths at a level and can honestly say I loved doing all the sciences (maths teaching at my school wasn’t that great so I didn’t really enjoy maths) so if you have any specific questions about the subjects ask away!

hi thanks for your response

if you don't mind can I ask what you are doing now after sitting your a levels
and could you possibly state some 'disadvantages' and 'advantages' of any of your a levels

much appreciated
Original post by simplyikrah
hi thanks for your response

if you don't mind can I ask what you are doing now after sitting your a levels
and could you possibly state some 'disadvantages' and 'advantages' of any of your a levels

much appreciated

I’m doing a chemistry degree. I had to do chem and maths to get into my degree programme but doing physics was a MASSIVE help (there’s a lot of physics in chemistry).

To be honest doing bio hasn’t really helped me much yet but I’m only in first year and haven’t done any biochem related modules yet.

Advantages of my a levels: I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do at uni when I started sixth form but by doing the subjects I did I had a lot of options. They also all really complemented each other (ie doing chem did helped with my bio, maths helped with physics etc). Also I did really enjoy them!!

Disadvantages: it was a LOT of work. I also did an EPQ which was a really stupid idea because I took on way too much. I think I could have managed the 4 a levels without the EPQ, my EPQ grade was pretty bad because I couldn’t devote enough time to it. Also, as previously mentioned the maths teaching in my school wasn’t great and maths was the only subject I didn’t enjoy because if that. And biology is quite a lot of work - it’s a very content heavy subject compared to maths, physics and chem where it’s more application if knowledge.
I’m doing a chemistry degree. I had to do chem and maths to get into my degree programme but doing physics was a MASSIVE help (there’s a lot of physics in chemistry).

To be honest doing bio hasn’t really helped me much yet but I’m only in first year and haven’t done any biochem related modules yet.

Advantages of my a levels: I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do at uni when I started sixth form but by doing the subjects I did I had a lot of options. They also all really complemented each other (ie doing chem did helped with my bio, maths helped with physics etc). Also I did really enjoy them!!

Disadvantages: it was a LOT of work. I also did an EPQ which was a really stupid idea because I took on way too much. I think I could have managed the 4 a levels without the EPQ, my EPQ grade was pretty bad because I couldn’t devote enough time to it. Also, as previously mentioned the maths teaching in my school wasn’t great and maths was the only subject I didn’t enjoy because if that. And biology is quite a lot of work - it’s a very content heavy subject compared to maths, physics and chem where it’s more application if knowledge.

okay
that makes a lot of sense

what was your EPQ based on and also did you consider doing medicine by any chance
okay
that makes a lot of sense

what was your EPQ based on and also did you consider doing medicine by any chance

I did briefly consider doing medicine then I decided it wasn’t for me - I think a lot of doctors have to work quite long hours and after having seen a the junior doctor strikes that put me off too. Although having met someone at uni doing medicine I'm almost having second thoughts - it sounds like a very interesting degree.
I decided on chemistry because it was my best subject, the one I enjoyed the most and I can still go into a medicine related career if I want (perhaps drug development) or I can do something completely different. It leaves a lot of doors open.

I did my EPQ looking at how flour acts as a structural component in cake. Haha I just really like baking. It didn’t go so well basically because I didn’t plan it properly and couldn’t really put enough time into it - to be honest it was very stressful (although i still found it interesting). Also my supervisor retired halfway though me doing the which didn’t help either. I don’t think I’d change anything looking back but my advice is that an EPQ is a lot of extra work to take on, some people can do it, other can’t. You have to decide whether or not it’s worth it - most unis don’t consider it when looking at applications (there are a few like Bath that lower the entry grades slightly if you get a good EPQ grade) however it does make your application more competitive for oxbridge/other top unis.
I did briefly consider doing medicine then I decided it wasn’t for me - I think a lot of doctors have to work quite long hours and after having seen a the junior doctor strikes that put me off too. Although having met someone at uni doing medicine I'm almost having second thoughts - it sounds like a very interesting degree.
I decided on chemistry because it was my best subject, the one I enjoyed the most and I can still go into a medicine related career if I want (perhaps drug development) or I can do something completely different. It leaves a lot of doors open.

I did my EPQ looking at how flour acts as a structural component in cake. Haha I just really like baking. It didn’t go so well basically because I didn’t plan it properly and couldn’t really put enough time into it - to be honest it was very stressful (although i still found it interesting). Also my supervisor retired halfway though me doing the which didn’t help either. I don’t think I’d change anything looking back but my advice is that an EPQ is a lot of extra work to take on, some people can do it, other can’t. You have to decide whether or not it’s worth it - most unis don’t consider it when looking at applications (there are a few like Bath that lower the entry grades slightly if you get a good EPQ grade) however it does make your application more competitive for oxbridge/other top unis.

ok thank you
good luck for your future

here are my options
I will then within 3 months of year 12, drop one subject depending on difficulty and GCSE RESULTS

thanks

If you want to do medicine or pharmacy the. Option 2 would be a wider choice.

here are my options

thanks

For medicine or pharmacology option 1 is useless. Only apply to medicine if you’re 1000% sure you want to do that and can’t even dream of being anything else. I did bio, Chem, maths, psychology that I then dropped, and did an EPQ.
Original post by Studentystudent!
For medicine or pharmacology option 1 is useless. Only apply to medicine if you’re 1000% sure you want to do that and can’t even dream of being anything else. I did bio, Chem, maths, psychology that I then dropped, and did an EPQ.

okay thanks
what are you studying now
o

Original post by Emma:-)
If you want to do medicine or pharmacy the. Option 2 would be a wider choice.

okay thanks :smile:
okay thanks
what are you studying now

Genetics

here are my options

thanks

Option 2 cause history is atrocious
Studying a subject for 3 months and then dropping it is making it a bit harder for yourself. You should after a month or so be able to decide what subjects your prefer etc.
Original post by Lily_23
Option 2 cause history is atrocious

Okay thanks
What makes you say that
Original post by Student100020
Studying a subject for 3 months and then dropping it is making it a bit harder for yourself. You should after a month or so be able to decide what subjects your prefer etc.

Yes I agree thanks

Quick Reply

Latest