The Student Room Group

Grade 9 For GCSES

Heyy guys, are there any tips that grade 7-9 students can provide for a GCSE student who will be taking their exams in just about 4 months and haven't started their GCSE revision but hoping to get Grade 9's/A's? (:
Im planning on starting my revision tmrw so ill be using today to plan and get rid of any over due assignments so it won't bother my revision!
I know when my daughter did GCSE's in 2018 she structured her revision. After school, she would have 1 hour one one subject. Then a break, then 1 hour on another subject. She then up it after a month or so to an hour and a half. She had 999998887 in the end. She did mind maps, flash cards and also posters stuck on the bedroom walls/ past papers. My youngest daughter is in your year too and is doing the posters, but not liking the mindmaps so much lol. Good luck :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Hiya! For reference I got 9A*A*A*A*AAAA at GCSE, my biggest tip would be to base revision off the specifications, ie. the questions will largely be based off the wording from the spec. So for example in GCSE RE (I achieved full UMS with little revision...) , the specification stated that students should know the different forms of euthanasia, and in the exam that was asked. So, base your notes off what the specification says. Not sure if this helps...
Reply 3
Original post by FrenchOwl2212
Hiya! For reference I got 9A*A*A*A*AAAA at GCSE, my biggest tip would be to base revision off the specifications, ie. the questions will largely be based off the wording from the spec. So for example in GCSE RE (I achieved full UMS with little revision...) , the specification stated that students should know the different forms of euthanasia, and in the exam that was asked. So, base your notes off what the specification says. Not sure if this helps...

Thank you, how would you suggest to get a 9//A in maths (some one who has terrible memory)
As most of the time the spec isn't so detailed, well the last time I checked it wasn't as helpful in comparison to specs for combined science etc.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by sunnytaeq
Heyy guys, are there any tips that grade 7-9 students can provide for a GCSE student who will be taking their exams in just about 4 months and haven't started their GCSE revision but hoping to get Grade 9's/A's? (:
Im planning on starting my revision tmrw so ill be using today to plan and get rid of any over due assignments so it won't bother my revision!

My advice as a normie with regular results is that your GCSEs really don’t matter, save the energy for your A-Levels or Level 3 BTEC
Thank you, how would you suggest to get a 9//A in maths (some one who has terrible memory)
As most of the time the spec isn't so detailed, well the last time I checked it wasn't as helpful in comparison to specs for combined science etc.

The poster you quote sat the old GCSEs so their advice is only partially helpful :smile:

Use mocks to target your weak areas- read Examiners reports to see examples of good and bad answers. Go to all revision/help sessions and spend time practising past papers.
Reply 6
Original post by Lukeey!
My advice as a normie with regular results is that your GCSEs really don’t matter, save the energy for your A-Levels or Level 3 BTEC

unfortunately my desired career says otherwise which is medicine, and i need grade 7-9's in basically all the subjects. ):
Reply 7
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
I know when my daughter did GCSE's in 2018 she structured her revision. After school, she would have 1 hour one one subject. Then a break, then 1 hour on another subject. She then up it after a month or so to an hour and a half. She had 999998887 in the end. She did mind maps, flash cards and also posters stuck on the bedroom walls/ past papers. My youngest daughter is in your year too and is doing the posters, but not liking the mindmaps so much lol. Good luck :smile:

Thank you so much! I hope your daughter has a wonderful outcome of her GCSES!
Original post by Muttley79
The poster you quote sat the old GCSEs so their advice is only partially helpful :smile:

Use mocks to target your weak areas- read Examiners reports to see examples of good and bad answers. Go to all revision/help sessions and spend time practising past papers.

Actually I sat my GCSEs in 2019- Northern Ireland still uses letters. My 9 was in OCR History. For Maths, I also found it tricky. What I did was to make flashcards for formulae or equations etc, then apply them using corbettmaths. BTW I got an A in Maths, not an A*, I think it equated to an 8 due to UMS.
(edited 3 years ago)
Exam questions and exam papers are your BEST FRIENDS, especially for doing subjects like maths and the sciences. For content heavy exams that are more essay based make sure you know the structure of answering certain questions. For example for my RE exam there was a certain structure for 4 markers and another structure for 15 markers etc... Make sure you especially focus on the subjects you want to do at A-levels or for BTEC and maths and english. Like for me I wanted to do Maths at A Level, so I made sure I would be able to get a 8 or 9 (and I ended up getting a 9 yay :smile:) or whatever your sixth form or college requires. But I was pretty sure I didn't want to do food tech at a level so I only revised to make sure I would be able to at least pass and it was consequently one of my lowest grades. If you're not sure what you want to do at A-levels yet, you probably have an idea of what you definitely don't want to do so focus on the other subjects as well as maths and english. Maths and english language are quite important so those should be a priority as well along with your a level subjects.

EDIT: just read you want to do medicine. I'm at uni and I don't do medicine but I've heard a flashcard app called anki is popular among pre-med students. I use it myself as well and it's pretty good for long-term memorisation of content. I don't think its very useful for GCSEs but I think it will help you during A-Levels and definitely for uni. Good luck :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

i got 9 9's and 2 8's after having a breakdown and only revising the week before - your best bet now when youve got so much time is to do as many practice papers as possible, then after each one revise every question you dropped single mark on (so in bio, if its a question asking you which colour a compound burns and you dont know, go back over all the colours). once you get closer to the exam (a week before or less) use the specifications for each subject. highlight things and make notes on every single bullet point of what you can recall.
you can do incredibly well starting now, i cannot stress how much time you still have, so definitely dont panic just make a timetable (a paper per subject (done in depth with looking over it every other week maybe?) and get started :smile:
Actually I sat my GCSEs in 2019- Northern Ireland still uses letters. My 9 was in OCR History. For Maths, I also found it tricky. What I did was to make flashcards for formulae or equations etc, then apply them using corbettmaths. BTW I got an A in Maths, not an A*, I think it equated to an 8 due to UMS.

The spec is different though ... no UMS for a start :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
The spec is different though ... no UMS for a start :smile:

The spec is really only different since it is CCEA, so it would be about as different from OCR to AQA or whatever. I only mentioned the maths UMS since it was a high A, and an 8 in comparison is a high A or low A* with CEA. Regardless, past papers, self-testing and keeping to the specification for revision note guides were what helped me get my grades.
Reply 13
The spec is really only different since it is CCEA, so it would be about as different from OCR to AQA or whatever. I only mentioned the maths UMS since it was a high A, and an 8 in comparison is a high A or low A* with CEA. Regardless, past papers, self-testing and keeping to the specification for revision note guides were what helped me get my grades.

Thank you x
I've started my revision this holiday and I've found that breaks dont actually help cause its hard to get back into the work that I was doing after having a long break. so best thing is probably an hour work, do something that isnt easy to get sucked into as a break like make yourself tea or something and then just get back on with it.
unfortunately my desired career says otherwise which is medicine, and i need grade 7-9's in basically all the subjects. ):

That’s literally not true LMAOOOO. Just get a 6 in English, Maths and Science so you can take relevant subjects at A-Levels, then succeed in that to get to Uni. Your employer isn’t gonna care that you got a 3 in Geography if you get a 2:1 or a 1 in your degree.
Reply 16
Original post by Lukeey!
That’s literally not true LMAOOOO. Just get a 6 in English, Maths and Science so you can take relevant subjects at A-Levels, then succeed in that to get to Uni. Your employer isn’t gonna care that you got a 3 in Geography if you get a 2:1 or a 1 in your degree.

The university cares as they need grade 7-9 in majority of the subjects. Look at ucas or any local university. GCSE's do matter a lot if you go down that route especially.

Quick Reply

Latest